New shingles vaccine - Shingrix

My mom got her second shot on the 25th, 6 months to the day after her first. This was at the Safeway pharmacy. They said they'd call when it was available, and they came through.

Stopped by CVS today to confirm that they were still out of the vaccine, but to my surprise they had received a shipment about a week ago. DW and I both got our first shot.

Stopped by CVS today to confirm that they were still out of the vaccine, but to my surprise they had received a shipment about a week ago. DW and I both got our first shot.

Got very excited when I saw your post & called my local CVS. The answer is still the same: no, nada, nothing yet, don't know when.

I checked your location - alas, not even close! I wonder how they figure out who's getting it. We need it in NYC!

Get the shot but be prepared to feel baaad. Got mine today. First thing I noticed was I could feel it like a corkscrew moving through the nerves in my neck and lower back. A few hours later intense shoulder pain. In the middle of the night fever and joint pain. On the upside this is short term misery compared to the long term nerve pain that can result from a case of shingles.

Got very excited when I saw your post & called my local CVS. The answer is still the same: no, nada, nothing yet, don't know when.

I checked your location - alas, not even close! I wonder how they figure out who's getting it. We need it in NYC!

The rumor I heard was that it was going to become more widely available early next year.

With all the calling around I did, the story was always the same. The pharmacy ordered it, and it was on some sort of indefinite back-order, where they weren't even given an estimate as to when it might come in. Then it would show up unexpectedly once in a while, and they'd start calling people on the waiting list, or, in the case of CVS, just wait for people to call in. The "luck of the draw" system, I guess.

Just finished messaging with Healthcare VA about avaibility. My DH had his annual in August they had no doses in our huge medical complex. Told him to check back in a few months. Today's update is they have a few doses but are holding them for 2nd shots, compromised immune systems and vets over 70. No joy for anyone else in the VA system.

Last edited:
We were in US in Sept. for a week and inquired at CVS. The pharm said the shots have been coming in very intermittently and were not available at that time.

We are in US now for another week, and the same CVS said no vaccine available and they did not have any deliveries of it since we last inquired 2 months ago.

None of the pharmacies around here have it. Most have multiple page wait lists. One pharmacist did tell me they expect the shortage to decrease in January.
We have had the Zostavax, but want the better coverage of the Shingrix also.

I can't figure out why they say the shortage will get better in January..there is huge pent up demand. Have they ramped up production? I don't know why they would bother spending more money to ramp up production when demand is great and they have a monopoly on the vaccine. They've got an almost endless supply of consumers ready and waiting.

Get the shot but be prepared to feel baaad. Got mine today. First thing I noticed was I could feel it like a corkscrew moving through the nerves in my neck and lower back. A few hours later intense shoulder pain. In the middle of the night fever and joint pain. On the upside this is short term misery compared to the long term nerve pain that can result from a case of shingles.

If it helps at all, with the first shot I experienced the intense shoulder pain and some fever for about 24 hours, then it dissipated. I dreaded getting the second shot, but fortunately had no discomfort at all with that one.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm still waiting. Got my initial shot April 30th. Costco threw away their list and I'm on a grocery chain list now.

Finally got my second shot. I posted the above on 11/27 so I waited about 20 days after getting on the list. It helps to tell them if you have already had the first shot - they will give you priority.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm curious (even though I've gotten my two shots now) whether or not the supply will increase around the beginning of the year, as promised.

One of my local pharmacies said that the vaccine would not be available until July. My doctor's office doesn't have it, she said go to my pharmacy.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm curious (even though I've gotten my two shots now) whether or not the supply will increase around the beginning of the year, as promised.

No... I was in the local Sam's Club and asked about this. They have a current waiting list of people waiting for shot number two and a future waiting list for people waiting for shot number one.

I said since we were leaving for a good part of the winter I'd wait and sign up when I got back and the reply was you might as well sign-up now it's going to be a long wait.

I was at the local military treatment facility yesterday and they offered me the shot. After a series of questions I deferred for another year since I am at the low end of the age range and the vaccine is relatively new. I want to give it a little more time for more people to get it and learn more about any potential side effects.

Had my second shot a week or so ago. The next day had very low energy, and mild sore arm at the site of shot. Three days later all was well.

Had my second shot a week or so ago. The next day had very low energy, and mild sore arm at the site of shot. Three days later all was well.
Got my second shot yesterday and I'm feeling chilled and run down - just like after the first one. Good excuse to goof off. ;)

I want to give it a little more time for more people to get it and learn more about any potential side effects.
It's been out for over a year, net, not new. There have been all kinds of comments on side effects - from none to ill for a day or two, but mainly a sore arm for 1-2 days.

After three shots (Shingrix, Flu, Shingrix) a few months apart, I began to notice that I did have some very mild soreness, for weeks after each shot. I didn't really notice during the day, but at night it consistently felt like I'd "slept wrong" on my left arm, but never my right. It wasn't until weeks later, when it stopped happening, that I connected it to the three shots, all in my left arm.

This is nowhere near reason enough not to get a shot, but it was a good almost double-blind test, since the patient (me) was unaware of it, as were the providers who gave me the shot. Interesting that it happened after all three shots. This suggests that maybe it's not the shingrix vaccine, but just the whole "shot experience" which causes the mild soreness.

I think too often these reports of side effects are used as an excuse not to get a medically beneficial shot.

Had my annual physical a couple weeks ago and talked to my doctor about getting it. He said he got the first shot and it knocked him on his a** for 24 hrs. I've looked around locally for it but no one has it in stock.

I was at the local military treatment facility yesterday and they offered me the shot. After a series of questions I deferred for another year since I am at the low end of the age range and the vaccine is relatively new. I want to give it a little more time for more people to get it and learn more about any potential side effects.
I've watched three people (including my mother-in-law) go through full-blown shingles. One of them is younger than me.

The disease seems far worse than the (known so far) risks. My spouse and I took the Zostavax shot, and we raced to get the Shingrix shots too.

She had no side effects from any of them. I was usually a little sore in the arm for a day.

I've watched three people (including my mother-in-law) go through full-blown shingles. One of them is younger than me.

The disease seems far worse than the (known so far) risks. My spouse and I took the Zostavax shot, and we raced to get the Shingrix shots too.

+1.

I'd get the shot in a minute if I could find a place that has it available. I've been looking for months.

Here's a question. It doesn't really affect anything but I've been curious ever since I heard about the 2-shot concept.
Is there any difference between dose #1 & dose #2?

Is dose #2 the exact same thing as dose #1? Or is dose #2 a different/stronger/weaker/larger/smaller dose than shot #1?

I just now got a call from the pharmacy whose list I've been on since June or July. I'll be getting it on Wed

Is dose #2 the exact same thing as dose #1? Or is dose #2 a different/stronger/weaker/larger/smaller dose than shot #1?

Two pharmacists have told me that the shots are exactly the same in every way. My significant other and I have had both shots. The only symptoms we encountered were slightly sore arms for about a day (or two).

Here's a question. It doesn't really affect anything but I've been curious ever since I heard about the 2-shot concept.
Is there any difference between dose #1 & dose #2?

I just now got a call from the pharmacy whose list I've been on since June or July. I'll be getting it on Wed

not to be a Debbie downer but are you sure you want to split this into two calendars years? Will it cost you more money?

Back
Top Bottom