New shingles vaccine - Shingrix

I never had chickenpox as a kid so I was not going to get the shingles vax. I never thought about the chance of getting chickenpox as an adult. I thought it is fairly rare these days, like 1-2% of what it was 20 years ago.

You know you can get chickenpox from someone who's having a shingles outbreak?

You know you can get chickenpox from someone who's having a shingles outbreak?

Yes, I know that. But that is easy to avoid - my understanding is that only the rash has transmittable virus. So don't go visit friends who are currently suffering from Shingles and have an oozing rash. I am a more-or-less hermit so that is easy for me. :)

I had the first vaccine end of August at Sam's. I called them yesterday for the second shot and they said they did not have any. Said that they were on backorder nationwide. They said this is for everywhere, not just Sam's.

If you are over 50 can you get the chicken pox vaccine? Would that protect you from shingles?

I got my first shot in June at a Redi Clinic inside an HEB, but when I called to see if they had it in stock for my 2nd one, they said they are only sending out 2 at a time & to random locations so I'd just have to hit it on the right day. Walgreens was the other provider my Compass rep (health care consultant provided with my HDHP) had found for the first one, & when I called they said they were out - nationwide shortage. So went back to the Compass rep for help & the HEB that's closest to me had it at their pharmacy...went & got it as soon as I read the email.

I don't remember much if any reaction to the first shot, but this one I had a big round red welt that was painful & itchy for about a week. Cold compress, advil, Benadryl helped a bit but it just took time to go away.

What a mess and it will just get worse again when they"catch up" production because all the people that have been waiting to start the series will want their two doses.

FWIW I'd be pretty ticked off if I got the first dose and couldn't get the second one within the recommended window.

FWIW I'd be pretty ticked off if I got the first dose and couldn't get the second one within the recommended window.

I was. And I'm still ticked off at CVS. They're "in network" with my coverage, and gladly gave me the 1st shot for free. Come time for the 2nd one, they were out. Call back next week, you might get lucky. I called back once or twice a week for two months. Same story every time. Sometimes, just to add insult to injury, they'd mention they'd had it in a few days before, but it was gone now.

They said they wouldn't bother maintaining a waiting list, I'd just have to keep calling back. Seriously? It's easier to answer the phone dozens of times than to just jot down my name?

After my 2nd shot was already overdue, I called around. No-one had it, but Rite-Aid/Walgreens was willing to put me on their list. But when I mentioned I'd already had the 1st shot, they said they'd just gotten some in, and because I was already overdue, I'd go to the top of the list. I ran right over and got it then and there. Had to pay a co-pay, but I'm glad it's done!

There was a general shortage around here (northern NJ) but different clinics/pharmacies had them if you hunted. DW got her first shot 3 months ago at nearby Walgeens, and her second -and my first - last week.

I wonder if this is a local thing. We just walked into our local Walmart and got the first shot in June. A couple of weeks ago, while we were shopping at the same Walmart, we decided to get the second shot. We weren't on their "list", but they gave us the shot anyway. They acted like they had plenty.

I was. And I'm still ticked off at CVS. They're "in network" with my coverage, and gladly gave me the 1st shot for free. Come time for the 2nd one, they were out. Call back next week, you might get lucky. I called back once or twice a week for two months. Same story every time. Sometimes, just to add insult to injury, they'd mention they'd had it in a few days before, but it was gone now.

They said they wouldn't bother maintaining a waiting list, I'd just have to keep calling back. Seriously? It's easier to answer the phone dozens of times than to just jot down my name?

After my 2nd shot was already overdue, I called around. No-one had it, but Rite-Aid/Walgreens was willing to put me on their list. But when I mentioned I'd already had the 1st shot, they said they'd just gotten some in, and because I was already overdue, I'd go to the top of the list. I ran right over and got it then and there. Had to pay a co-pay, but I'm glad it's done!
I’ve put off getting the first shot for this very reason. I plan to talk to Costco soon and get a feel for the shortage situation and lead times.

I did have the Zostavax a few years ago, so I’m not entirely unprotected.

It's time to fire your old pharmacy and go to one that is doing things sensibly. I had the same problem but thankfully found a pharmacy that had a waiting list (that's how I got shot #1) and then prioritized people who needed the second shot before the end of 6 months (that's how I got shot #2). Alas, if one is waiting for the first shot, it's not a good situation.

FWIW, both times the wait was about 1/2 what they told me it would be. I imagine they are getting very cautious when estimating dates. And, of course, several people on the waiting list ahead of me just didn't bother to call back and setup an appointment.

I had my second shot this week at my doctor’s office. I was told when I had my first shot that they would reserve the second shot for me when their next shipment arrived. Everything worked out just fine.

As a PSA, I suggested the new Shingrx shot to a 66-year old friend. She said her doc said, based on a blood test, that she'd never had chicken pox as a kid nor is she a candidate to get shingles as an adult. Supposedly she has some sort of ? (not sure what...antibodies:confused:) that prevented her from getting chicken pox and, thus shingles.

I'm far from an expert at this stuff. I'm wondering, is this possible?

omni

FWIW, I thought the same, since I never had chicken pox when I was young.

Then I got shingles in my early 50s, and experienced all the intense pain others have mentioned. When I expressed my surprise to my doctor, he said that many kids have chicken pox without showing any symptoms, so that was probably true for me as well.

FWIW, I thought the same, since I never had chicken pox when I was young.

Then I got shingles in my early 50s, and experienced all the intense pain others have mentioned. When I expressed my surprise to my doctor, he said that many kids have chicken pox without showing any symptoms, so that was probably true for me as well.

My Dad insisted that he had never had chickenpox. But lo and behold, he contracted shingles! Fortunately he had the wherewithal to seek immediate medical attention at the time, and had a very mild episode. He was 85. We were very concerned.

As a PSA, I suggested the new Shingrx shot to a 66-year old friend. She said her doc said, based on a blood test, that she'd never had chicken pox as a kid nor is she a candidate to get shingles as an adult. Supposedly she has some sort of ? (not sure what...antibodies:confused:) that prevented her from getting chicken pox and, thus shingles.

I'm far from an expert at this stuff. I'm wondering, is this possible?

omni

I don't know but I'm wondering what the downside of getting vaccinated for chickenpox would be.

I wouldn't put off getting the first shot for fear of not getting the 2nd.

The reports I've read suggest production is being ramped up and there should be a better supply in early 2019. Also, I think a lot of pharmacies (except that one stupid CVS near me) are prioritizing the 2nd shot patients ahead of first shot.

If you can find someone who will offer you that first one, I'd take them up on it!

If you don't think getting this shot is a no-brainer, just talk to anyone who's had shingles.

I never had chicken pox either. And I never had the small pox vaccine either. I’ll have to ask my doctor about how that affects what I should do.

I think a lot of pharmacies (except that one stupid CVS near me) are prioritizing the 2nd shot patients ahead of first shot. If you can find someone who will offer you that first one, I'd take them up on it.

Agree. The CVS and Duane Reade pharmacies in my area don't have it & don't have a wait list either. They suggest I just keep asking periodically.

Agree. The CVS and Duane Reade pharmacies in my area don't have it & don't have a wait list either. They suggest I just keep asking periodically.

Maybe if each of us, every day, called our local CVS and asked, they'd think twice.

The funniest part is, for most of the two months I was calling once or twice weekly, the advertisement on "hold" was for the Shingrix shot!

I'm no stranger to stupid Megacorp tricks, but CVS is really going that extra mile to do something exceptionally stupid here. No wonder my former Megacorp contracts with them for our drug coverage!

I never had chicken pox either. And I never had the small pox vaccine either. I’ll have to ask my doctor about how that affects what I should do.

I am going to get the antibody test for it. If positive, I will get Shingrix. If negative I won't do anything.

I've had my shots, and DW, who doesn't jump into anything, is planning now to get hers & just found there's a several months wait in our area.

I thought the supply logjam was going to be relieved by now, but apparently not. Others still having the wait list issue?

I've had my shots, and DW, who doesn't jump into anything, is planning now to get hers & just found there's a several months wait in our area.

I thought the supply logjam was going to be relieved by now, but apparently not. Others still having the wait list issue?
Yes, I'm still waiting. Got my initial shot April 30th. Costco threw away their list and I'm on a grocery chain list now.

Back
Top Bottom