Non-exchange ACA compliant plans?

Sojourner

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
A few years ago I was able to find various ACA-compliant insurance plans outside the healthcare.gov site, but I'm not finding any now for some reason. I've tried ehealthinsurance.com and healthsherpa.com, among others, but they either show me the exact same plans as I can see on healthcare.gov or they show me short term insurance plans that aren't ACA compliant. Is this because open enrollment hasn't started yet, or is it because there really aren't any plans available for me other than what's on healthcare.gov? I'm in the metro Atlanta area, if that makes any difference.

Hi neighbor. It is my understanding everyone but Kaiser and Ambetter withdrew from the Atlanta individual market. Both offer their plans on and off the Healthcare.gov sight. The only other options available are the short term plans you are seeing or if you have access to a group plan. Blue Cross, United and Humana (and maybe others) are still available in the group market. Hey, at least it makes our decision process easy. Which HMO do you want, Kaiser or Ambetter? That and the medal level are our only choices. No PPO for you.

ETA: I am not sure if there will be any new carriers entering the individual market. If so, they will probably not be visible online until the November 1 open enrollment date.

Last edited:
I'm also in the Atlanta area. Kaiser and Ambetter are offering plans and BCBS has returned to the Atlanta area. BCBS, as I expected, is only offering HMO plans instead of the PPO plans offered in 2017.

My experience last year trying to find off exchange plans was challenging. I was never able to find any off exchange Ambetter plans, even when I talked directly to the company. I did find Kaiser off exchange plans. They were the same as the on exchange plans but $5 more expensive.

For this year I have found that BCBS is offering about 10 plans and the plans are identical on and off exchange. Ambetter once again has no info about off exchange plans, but they do have the on exchange info. Kaiser's website has no info about any plans for 2109 - just a note to wait until November first.

Just out of curiosity: If there's (effectively) no longer a penalty for not having ACA compliant insurance, and if you aren't using the Marketplace/getting a subsidy, why do are you concerned about getting an ACA compliant plan?

Just out of curiosity: If there's (effectively) no longer a penalty for not having ACA compliant insurance, and if you aren't using the Marketplace/getting a subsidy, why do are you concerned about getting an ACA compliant plan?

From what I've read, there is in fact a penalty this year for going without an ACA compliant plan for more than 3 months in 2018. The penalty ends in 2019, but I've heard it will be fully enforced for tax year 2018.

Last edited:
Hi neighbor. It is my understanding everyone but Kaiser and Ambetter withdrew from the Atlanta individual market. Both offer their plans on and off the Healthcare.gov sight. The only other options available are the short term plans you are seeing or if you have access to a group plan.

Yes, this is exactly what I'm seeing, and I guess it makes sense when there are only two providers left in the individual market. It'll be nice to have BCBS back next year. My primary care doctor accepts BCBS but isn't in the Ambetter or Kaiser networks.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, this is exactly what I'm seeing, and I guess it makes sense when there are only two providers left in the individual market. It'll be nice to have BCBS back next year. My primary care doctor accepts BCBS but isn't in the Ambetter or Kaiser networks.

Thanks for the info.

Your Dr. might or might not accept what comes.... here BCBS has a number of groups and some Drs do not accept the ACA plans... that is what happened to me... bought it and found out he was not in the group... even though Dr office said they accepted BCBS...

Thanks for the info.

Yes, it will be good to get Blue back. Although, we have been pleased with Kaiser and Ambetter. But, the DW and I are healthy and do not access healthcare often. Maybe in the future we will get a PPO option.

From what I've read, there is in fact a penalty this year for going without an ACA compliant plan for more than 3 months in 2018. The penalty ends in 2019, but I've heard it will be fully enforced for tax year 2018.

Yes, that's right. This issue (the need for an ACA compliant plan to avoid the penalty) only exists for about two more months. When I saw your OP, I just didn't realize you needed a policy immediately.

Back
Top Bottom