Now diet drinks cause strokes and dementia

Is water natural? Fluoride, chlorine, all those other chemicals that find their way into good old H2O. We're doomed!

My water is natural...I have a well and filter it through reverse osmosis.

We're putting a reverse osmosis system in our Florida condo. We may put one in our PA house too. Scotch and red wine help quench my thirst too.

Doomed I tell you, we're all doomed!!

On the brighter side, based on my Diet Coke intake, I won't have the faculties to be bothered when the end finally comes.

Ditto! And yet somehow I managed to type this!

I gave up DP because it gives me heartburn. But I broke down and had a small glass on my flight today.

I've got my annual physical early next month and I am going to walk into the doctor's office with an open diet coke in my hand and see who runs for cover.;)

I had a pump installed in my well today. They super-chlorinated it! :LOL:

They had to. It is required so the pump, etc. does not contaminate the ground water. I'll put a sediment filter on it. Other than that I should be good to go. Most of the wells up here are totally clean. I'll get the water tested every once in a while.

This is the beauty of science. Its always improving on itself...always finding new things.

This is the beauty of science. Its always improving on itself...always finding new things.

It's easy to find new things when they've pronounced so many wrong things in the past as scientific fact.

It's easy to find new things when they've pronounced so many wrong things in the past as scientific fact.

Again...thats the beauty of it. Even things said today could be proven wrong in 10/20/30 years. New technology allows us to prove/disprove things that we were so certain of. Look at forensics. People have sat in jail for 30 years until a new technology proved they were innocent...and also helped arrest people 30 years with what we consider a simple dna test now. That didnt exist years ago.

Humans have big egos. Change is difficult for them. Imagine being taught something your entire life only to find out its not true...or find out that this super food you've been eating is actually killing you, etc etc. Humans are not equipped to deal with that thought process.

Again...thats the beauty of it.

That's not "the beauty" of it. That is a flaw in it as big and harmful as any flaw in any other human endeavor. Beauty as a way to get off the hook for incompetence-with- certitude. Not "Beauty." Just something else to put up with and manage before or until it kills us by being wrong with conviction one too many times.

That's not "the beauty" of it. That is a flaw in it as big and harmful as any flaw in any other human endeavor. Beauty as a way to get off the hook for incompetence-with- certitude. Not "Beauty." Just something else to put up with and manage before or until it kills us by being wrong with conviction one too many times.

Yikes...thats a grim way of looking at life. We will have to agree to disagree. Good day.

Gee no warning labels on some of those items, maybe my estate can sue them, for big bucks. Remember the hot coffee McDonalds lawsuit? the fact im HUGE isnt what will kill me ,at least my widows attorney could argue the point. I remember when the coffee and bacon and eggs combo was deadly, yeah ruin all my fun. I stopped frying my eggs in lard about 15 years ago, worked wonders for me, i should sue the non stick spray people for my weight gain, lard kept me trim

My company also provides "free" soda. The Coke and Pepsi machine take no money. Just push the button.

I gave up my daily Diet Mt. Dew habit. I have gone long stretches not drinking any soda. I tend to not be able to tell the difference.

But, studies like this, certainly reinforce that dropping the soda (diet or sugar) is a good idea.

One button on the Pepsi machine is Mendota Sparkling Lemon water. Ingredients: Water, natural lemon flavor. That is my "go to" drink along with regular ice/water.

My company also provides "free" soda. The Coke and Pepsi machine take no money. Just push the button.

I gave up my daily Diet Mt. Dew habit. I have gone long stretches not drinking any soda. I tend to not be able to tell the difference.

But, studies like this, certainly reinforce that dropping the soda (diet or sugar) is a good idea.

One button on the Pepsi machine is Mendota Sparkling Lemon water. Ingredients: Water, natural lemon flavor. That is my "go to" drink along with regular ice/water.

Wow , they hiring? I think thats a cool perk

I do worry about dementia, but not enough to give up my diet soda - yet. I could not get to the original article, so have no idea how good/bad it might be in terms of association vs causation. I'm not any kind of "denyer" and think of myself as a scientist. However, in addition to viewing the study protocol, I usually like to know who financed it and how many OTHER studies were done which did not show a particular effect. Without quite a few tools, it can be very difficult to determine if a particular study is valid and even if it has any value if it is valid. The old expression "Figures don't lie but liars figure" comes to mind. My personal favorite is "Statistics are like a bikini. What they conceal may be more important than what they reveal." YMMV

The cause and effect is not determined yet.

It could easily be that people who are diabetic, or people who are prone to strokes, prefer diet soda.

Gee no warning labels on some of those items, maybe my estate can sue them, for big bucks. Remember the hot coffee McDonalds lawsuit? the fact im HUGE isnt what will kill me ,at least my widows attorney could argue the point. I remember when the coffee and bacon and eggs combo was deadly, yeah ruin all my fun. I stopped frying my eggs in lard about 15 years ago, worked wonders for me, i should sue the non stick spray people for my weight gain, lard kept me trim

While I detest ambulance-chasing lawyers, the McDonald's coffee lawsuit and settlement was warranted.
https://www.ttla.com/index.cfm?pg=McDonaldsCoffeeCaseFacts

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom