Odds of Dying, by cause

It would be interesting to see this broken down by age groups. Like every 5 years - ages 50-54; 55-59; 60-64; etc...

-ERD50

It was surprising to see walking and falling down stairs so high in the list. I walk a couple of miles every day and I live in a two story house. Who know I had such a high risk lifestyle LOL!

It was surprising to see walking and falling down stairs so high in the list. I walk a couple of miles every day and I live in a two story house. Who know I had such a high risk lifestyle LOL!

That is what killed one of DW's grandfathers. At 92 he fell down the stairs at the home of DW's aunt, with whom he had been living for the previous few years.

Thanks - very interesting, I bookmarked it. I poked around a bit, will look more later. It is interactive, so the rankings change as you click the various factors. Interesting to me that suicide drops so much with age. You'd think old people facing some rough health problems ahead would be more likely to take this route? Or maybe with that sort of depression, many of the suicide-inclined don't make it to old age?

Pretty grim reading, lots of cancers and heart/stroke issues for us elders. You gotta go one way or the other.

-ERD50

Interesting to me that suicide drops so much with age. You'd think old people facing some rough health problems ahead would be more likely to take this route? Or maybe with that sort of depression, many of the suicide-inclined don't make it to old age?
No, that's what Dr. Kevorkian was for...

Anyone surprised by all the poisoning going on?

And for young people in the 25 to 45 range, it is rank #1 or #2.

What's going on? I think these are different than suicide. Is it carbon monoxide? Alcohol? Drugs? Or what? You'd think this would be very preventable.

We have all sorts of charity run events for many of the things you see on these lists, but never the "run for poison avoidance."

My guess is that it is drinking and drug overdose.

Edit: now more confused. Both "alcohol" and "drug use" are also listed. So what the heck is poisoning all these young people?

Last edited:
After spending less than 5 minutes on Google, I couldn't find much support for your POV...

I stand corrected. The leading causes of DEATH in women are....

Heart 24.0
Total Cancer 22.2
Stroke 6.3
Respiratory 5.9
Alzheimer 4.5
Injuries 3.0
Diabetes 2.8
Flu 2.3
Kidney 2.0

Breaking Cancer down...
Lung 38.6
Breast 22.2
Colorectla 13.1

So, 22.2% of all cancer deaths are breast which means that breast cancer is 4.9% of all deaths (22.2% X 22.2%). JUST beating out alzheimer for 5th place.

My main point remains, Heart, Lung Cancer, Stroke and Chronic Lower respiratory diseases all kill significantly more women, yet do not have the force of the Susan G. Komen foundation pushing their cause. I still maintain it is a cottage industry unto itself.

I see your much more likely to be taken out by a meteor (75m to 1) than you are to win the power ball lottery (175M to 1).

My biggest fear when I FIRE is dying from too much red wine.:)

Last physical I had the Doc informed me that they had found traces of urine in the sample of red wine I had given :)

Back
Top Bottom