Osteoarthritis

Voltaren gel. A topical NSAID works well for me. No need to dose your whole body, just use it where it hurts. CBD did nothing for me.

This Voltaren Gel stuff works when my knees act up. I recommend it.

Years ago, my doc had me try the pill form. It is the only NSAID that ripped my stomach to shreds. I had him put it on my chart as "do not prescribe."

But the gel is fine and actually provides some relief.

This Voltaren Gel stuff works when my knees act up. I recommend it.

Years ago, my doc had me try the pill form. It is the only NSAID that ripped my stomach to shreds. I had him put it on my chart as "do not prescribe."

But the gel is fine and actually provides some relief.

IIRC, only about 5% of the gel version of Voltaren makes it into the blood stream. With the pill I imagine it's nearer 100% or at least everything that survives the stomach.

Back for an update on my hip replacement on Wed. Surgeon used the direct superior approach (DSA) with spinal block & conscious sedation. Indeed, there was far more sedation than conscious and I emerged absolutely unaware of anything associated with installation of my after market parts. Three hours after wheeling into recovery, I was stepping up into our pickup (with my good leg mind you) and headed home feeling like hey, maybe this whole thing might work out.

Home health met us at home and helped me get settled in and PT arrived the next day. I’ve been up and about more than I imagined and am recovering well and ahead of schedule so far. I have none of the previous arthritis pain, only (quite literally) the pain in my butt from the surgery.

I hadn’t had much experience with the healthcare system here (we moved here 3 years ago) but was very impressed with all aspects of my experience (nurses, techs, admin, docs, pharmacy, etc). We are having a covid surge and it looked like a lot of surgeries might have been scheduled in anticipation of less availability in the near future. It was all hands on deck, everyone helping each other out and communicating what was going on and what to expect at each step along the way. This gave us a lot of confidence at a time of well, high concern.

Oh, as an aside, my covid test prior to surgery was the saliva test, not the deep dive nose swab so I was grateful for that although I must say, generating 2 ml of saliva is more of an effort than one might think...

This morning I actually put on my own socks (it’s the little things as we say) with a “sock puller” and said a thank you to the clever designer of this handy tool, wherever you may be!

Whew!!! So far, so good and...onward!

Last edited:
Back for an update on my hip replacement on Wed. Surgeon used the direct superior approach (DSA) with spinal block & conscious sedation. Indeed, there was far more sedation than conscious and I emerged absolutely unaware of anything associated with installation of my after market parts. Three hours after wheeling into recovery, I was stepping up into our pickup (with my good leg mind you) and headed home feeling like hey, maybe this whole thing might work out.

Home health met us at home and helped me get settled in and PT arrived the next day. I’ve been up and about more than I imagined and am recovering well and ahead of schedule so far. I have none of the previous arthritis pain, only (quite literally) the pain in my butt from the surgery.

I hadn’t had much experience with the healthcare system here (we moved here 3 years ago) but was very impressed with all aspects of my experience (nurses, techs, admin, docs, pharmacy, etc). We are having a covid surge and it looked like a lot of surgeries might have been scheduled in anticipation of less availability in the near future. It was all hands on deck, everyone helping each other out and communicating what was going on and what to expect at each step along the way. This gave us a lot of confidence at a time of well, high concern.

Oh, as an aside, my covid test prior to surgery was the saliva test, not the deep dive nose swab so I was grateful for that although I must say, generating 2 ml of saliva is more of an effort than one might think...

This morning I actually put on my own socks (it’s the little things as we say) with a “sock puller” and said a thank you to the clever designer of this handy tool, wherever you may be!

Whew!!! So far, so good and...onward!

Nice to hear of your excellent progress. And yes, the sock puller is a great tool!

I found a dressing stick to be very useful after my knee surgery. I still keep it around as it is very handy for fishing out oddball things that drop into hard to get at places.

Yes, I’m loving the dressing stick as well! I ordered one of those “hip kits” from Amazon which also included two reacher/grabbers of different lengths and a really long shoe horn. I’ve been able to putter about pretty independently which has been great. My greatest challenge is carrying things while walking with the walker - prior to surgery I had been using a rolling walker (wheels on all legs) with a seat and could put away laundry, ferry cleaning supplies, deliver pizza to the living room, etc. However, post op PT frowns on this and has me using the more stable front wheeled only walker. It would be super counterproductive to fall at this point so I’m on board.

I’ve started wearing an apron I have with big pockets and that has worked for a lot of things.

I wish my little step meter worked so I could keep good track of how much I’m walking but I guess I’m moving too slow for it to register ☹️ Funny - it seems pretty fast to me!

Last edited:
Just got off a preliminary call with the surgeon, he confirmed that the right hip is worn down to the bone.

Op would be lateral, and likely in March-April......follow-up calls will be forthcoming.

Git 'er done.

Just got off a preliminary call with the surgeon, he confirmed that the right hip is worn down to the bone.

Op would be lateral, and likely in March-April......follow-up calls will be forthcoming.

Git 'er done.

Why such a long wait? May not be a big deal if you are retired or have an office job but what if the person worked a blue collar job? They wouldn't be able to work for 5 months before the surgery to 3+ months after the surgery. How does that work? When I needed my hip replacement, the surgery was 5 weeks after he determined the need to have it done.

Where does the money saving come from?

You have Universal Coverage, right? So you don't pay anything for the surgery/rehab.... Obviously you have to pay more taxes whether you use the healthcare system or not but you get no bill for the actual surgery, correct?

You have Universal Coverage, right? So you don't pay anything for the surgery/rehab.... Obviously you have to pay more taxes whether you use the healthcare system or not but you get no bill for the actual surgery, correct?

No bill, but TNSTAAFL.

(I told the surgeon I could be there in ten minutes.)

Added: Just had a call from the surgeon's office.....I have a 5-10 minute hands on assessment scheduled for a week from today. Secretary/assistant said they have standby list in case of cancellations, and I may be able to get my name on it.

Things are looking better all the time.....my partner Serendipity is looking out for me.

Last edited:
My Osteoarthritis - got if fixed.

Had it in my hamstrings/knees (could hardly walk up straights with my left leg), lower back stiff and painful and my spine was curving too, and neck/shoulder becomes rigid. Painful and can barely move. So, decided to find several cures without any doctors, and now it's all gone.

For the back, I bought a spine stretching chair / massage chair - but I mainly was interested in the spine stretching/spine alignment capability of the chair. That took care of healing my back and neck, and also corrected my spine posture. For more than 1 year, I took 17-20g Collagen Type 1 everyday and that really helped rebuild my tendons, bones, connective tissues, nerves.

For Winter, I created my own near-Infrared Red light sauna and instant heat and that fixed the problems of aching stiff muscles/joints during winter. For immediate relief, I got a CBD cream that would remove any muscle pain in minutes.

It can be healed.

There are enough anecdotes in this thread that I won't hesitate to add another.

I was having extraordinary pain in my hip and it got so bad I was using a cane just to get from one room to another at home. Saw one of the best orthos in town who took X-rays, and then an MRI to confirm what he saw. Called it moderate to severe osteoarthropathy and listed all sorts of complications that made it worse.

His comment was that I could get a hip replacement any time I was ready for it, and that I was "definitely on track for one, sooner rather than later." Well, being the stubborn cuss I am, I didn't feel "ready" for it, so I just decided to give it the old fashioned treatment, meaning lots of rest and no stress on it.

About six months later I felt good enough to start jogging again, and after a year I was doing three miles about three times a week. That was five years ago and I'm now running 4-5 miles usually five times a week. The pain I experienced back then has never returned.

I'm sure the good doctor saw what he said he saw, but I've always believed that the body has some marvelous healing powers of its own.

DH has arthritis in both of his knees--bone on bone and the orthopedic surgeon has said for years he is candidate for knee replacement. But instead he gets Euflexxa injections (hyaluronic acid) from his rheumatologist every 6 months and does fine--so no knee replacement so far.

Captain Nemo- I’m sad the wait for surgery appears so long at this point. I had to wait three months myself and it is definitely a challenge and well, wearying both in body and spirit.
Perhaps Serendipity will not only move the date closer but also help you discover some relief in the meantime.

I look forward with you to a time of relief as you transition from Enduring to Healing.

Best to you.

Captain Nemo- I’m sad the wait for surgery appears so long at this point. I had to wait three months myself and it is definitely a challenge and well, wearying both in body and spirit.
Perhaps Serendipity will not only move the date closer but also help you discover some relief in the meantime.

I look forward with you to a time of relief as you transition from Enduring to Healing.

Best to you.

Thank you...I'm not as bad as many/most, but I'd prefer sooner to later......basically though I just don't like being 'held back'.....(my body's there to do what I want, not what it wants. :LOL: )

Ah Nemo welcome to my 64YO world. Been running since 1966. diagnosed in 2015 with hip arthritis . Raced a fast 5K under 19 mins at 58 then had a hard time walking back to the car. PT finally MRI 1 MM of cartilage left. Here in the states. I took 6 months off running doc was hey lets wait until you cannot walk or close to 65 or so . I was able to continue to run slow 10/11 min miles I can bike all day. Lately hip is really a problem. But it is because I ran about 700 miles since March. Again I have backed off. Had telmed with my doc who said lets wait until covid is under control before we replace hip. Works for me. I still do not take much pain med. In fact I have no pain sitting sleeping or standing. If I cut back on my biking 30 miles a day also much less discomfort walking. Gettin old as a runner who cannot run is hard but nothing to prove anymore. Hang in there.

Gettin old as a runner who cannot run is hard but nothing to prove anymore. Hang in there.

I hear ya.....at one point in life I started lurching from one disaster to another.

Age 60 - couldn't run, started cycling...50 miles a day. Developed contact dermatitis on my butt. "Finita la musica, passata la fiesta".

Later, early 70s, started stair climbing ...best was 7,375 risers in a day, age 73.

Next disaster...developed a bladder infection and came close to dying of sepsis in hospital.

Right now, using my older, heavy duty, Precor elliptical.....maximum incline, one setting lower than maximum resistance.......gotta keep moving.

Tomorrow.....5 minute (Covid precautions) face-to-face meeting with hip surgeon.

Life goes on......(until you step/fall off the cliff. :LOL: )

Nemo, Wishing you a good meeting tomorrow. If they are going to do surgery, I hope it can be done quickly, so that you can recover and be ready to go when Covid is over or a vaccine. Good luck.

Nemo, Wishing you a good meeting tomorrow. If they are going to do surgery, I hope it can be done quickly, so that you can recover and be ready to go when Covid is over or a vaccine. Good luck.

Thank you...that's my hope too! :greetings10:

Git 'er done.

Probably better to wait until Spring fi the pain isn't tooo terrible. I had mine done in May and I can't imagine how I would have managed if I had to go out in snow/ice. Maybe you have means to get appropriate assistance but many don't.

Hang in there Nemo2! You will love your new hip! I have two new ones and do everything I want at age 77. Started playing golf again and almost back to my old game! :)

New hip(s) are a life changer at this age. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom