Outrageous cost of eyeware

My understanding is that most of the eyewear sold in the USA is produced by only one or two companies, regardless of the 'brand' name. Not so good.

The internet is providing alternatives. Not just cheaper alternatives, but much, much, much very much cheaper alternatives.

I use Costco and Goggles-4-U. Cheap and cheaper.

Last edited:
We pay $95 for the eye exam, then take the script to BJs. Got 2 pair of glasses+lenses, one progressive, one prescription readers for $425, so $625 for the two of us all in

vs

the insurance would have been $32/month/pp or $768 and that doesn't even get us glasses.

Vision insurance is a scam. Not sure if it helps if you have some eye disease but for just glasses, biggest racket going.

Yes, the PD matters if you are ordering online. The opticians at Costco take this measurement so they can order the glasses for you.

Thanks for clarification. I'll probably not get one online as I still like the going to a store to try out. One less thing to worry about about the PD. Now I know why the old practice where I used to get my glasses would bring out a small ruler and start measuring around my face :).

Thanks all. Lots of good info! Inspiration to save more $$. Rather spend the $$ on vacations instead.

After my cataract surgery, all I have needed is 2.0 strength readers. At first I got cheap ones (3 for $10) from Amazon. Instead of going to an optometrist or other eye professional, I bought them online because I am pretty sure I am using the right strength of readers for me (having tried other strengths).

This year, in order to Blow That Dough, I happily spent almost $200 on some Ray-Ban readers to see if they are any better. So are the Ray-Bans better?

They are little bit better, in my opinion, although perhaps not enough to justify the price. Still, when they aren't smeared or fogged up they are amazing. Well at least now I know.

If you are an AARP member, you can get 30% off glasses and exams at participating stores. I used it at Lens Crafters (super fast turn from these folks, less than 24 hours) and at Europtics. Pays for the $12 membership cost a zillion times over.

I have purchased 2 pair of progressive bifocals and a pair of bifocal sunglasses from Zenni.com each costing about $70. Other than the information on your prescription, they only need the pupillary distance between your eyes. I did it myself with a ruler in front of a mirror, but I imagine your eye doctor would provide it if they asked. The 1st pair I ever bought cost over $400 from LensCrafters 😕 I have been very pleased with Zenni. It usually takes a couple of weeks to get them in the mail.

Lucky me does not need anything other than reading glasses. Cheap ones for around the house and ThinOptics for a pair I attach to my cell phone. My wife needed new glasses and sun glasses. Had her exam with her doctor and then took the script to Sams to get 2 pairs of glasses. She is very happy with them. She preferred Sams over on line so that she can go in any time for an adjustment. Probably a lot like Costco. Good choice of frames at a fraction of the cost.

One thing you could always do is get a pair of glasses at Costco or likely other places, which will give you the prescription including the PD (I’m sure my Costco prescription has the PD). Then, buy your second pair on line and see how you do. If your prescription doesn’t change significantly over the years, you can probably just get you prescription next time from anywhere and even if they don’t give you the PD, you can keep using the one you have. Just a thought. Your second pair could be something like a cheap pair of prescription sun glasses.

I recommend Walmart for a good exam for $40

6-11-19 I got an eye exam at Walmart in Valparaiso, In.
It cost $40 and $10 extra for the test that blurs your eyes.
I told the eye doctor I was buying my glasses online.
He gave me my complete prescription including my pd measurement which they had me look into a hand held machine. I am waiting to receive my glasses from Zenni.
I would recommend Walmart.

6-11-19 I got an eye exam at Walmart in Valparaiso, In.
It cost $40 and $10 extra for the test that blurs your eyes.
I told the eye doctor I was buying my glasses online.
He gave me my complete prescription including my pd measurement which they had me look into a hand held machine. I am waiting to receive my glasses from Zenni.
I would recommend Walmart.

I've been using Walmart for years to get my eye test and prescription. Great deal.

Zenni online is great. I’ve ordered three pairs. All under $100. First pair was $60. I’ve gotten some with sunglasses lenses that snap on and some that clip on. My exam was around $40 with no optical insurance, but a discount for having Aetna medical.

After LensCrafters wanted to charge me $700 for a pair, I decided I needed to find a new way. It’s ridiculous.

Went to optometrist today, insurance allows for $150 plus 20% off over the allowance for frames and progressive lenses run $80 to $160.

The eye exam has $20 copay and $25 to $50 copay for glasses.

I started looking at frames and yikes $250+. That doesn’t include lens.
The wife found a pair and the cost (frames & lens) would have been $170 after insurance.

My premiums are $240 a year.

This Prices strike me as unusually high. Maybe I’m cheap but what are others paying?
I’m thinking drop the insurance and use the savings to pay for exam and glasses. Year one the wife gets hers, year two I get mine and then repeat.

Don’t see a benefit to the insurance.

There is no point in carrying it. I wear glasses and have never opted for the vision insurance.

We have used Zenni for 5 plus years with good results. My sister tried after 3 years of telling me they can't be as good as her $700 glasses. Finally she sat on $700 glasses and tried Zenni. She is now a customer for life. Average cost $45 to $65 per pair for progressive lenses and frames delivered. We opt for slightly more expensive frames. If we wanted , we could get the same lens in a cheaper frame for maybe $35 to $40. Highly recommend Zenni. STOP getting ripped off!

Another vote for Zenni Optical. I have bought numerous pairs over the years from them as backup glasses, and prescription sunglasses, always been happy. I had a pair of high end titanium frames bought at the local optometrist many years ago, probably at least 15 and they just never wore out, I kept changing lenses as needed, but the original pair was over $500 back then for progressive, photograys etc. Lost a lens out of them about a year ago and decided to see what a high end Zenni pair would cost me as a replacement. With similar titanium frames, progressive and pretty much the best of each option including photogray and they came in at $260 delivered.

I had gotten a back up pair with everything the same with cheaper but good frames and good but not the best in all the other options including progressive and photogray earlier last year as a backup pair $135 delivered. Backup pairs can be had for a lot cheaper but I wasn't going for cheap I wanted at least good for a backup pair.

Had my latest eye test at local optometrist last month and she asked how long I have had my glasses so I admitted that I had bought them online but didn't cut corners and she thought they were very good and tested well for my correction.

Cheapest glasses I got is less than $50 from www.visionpros.com.

$25 for the inexpensive frame.
$25 for single vision lenses.

The eye examination was from my Kaiser HMO medical plan and my co-payment was $30. Hence my glasses was about $80 total.

I like visionpros.com because they do sell inexpensive frames as well as expensive designer frames. Naturally getting bi-focals and other add on increase the cost of the lens.

I have very poor vision but I see perfectly with them so I cannot complain. Since the glasses are so cheap, I got one for distance, one for computer use and one for reading, When my vision do change, it is usually the distance glasses while my reading glasses and computer glasses are still clear. I never did like bifocals and progressive lens.

Another Zenni lover here. I tried them first for me about 3 years ago. I have monovision so mainly just use glasses for driving and watching tv. Have purchased multiple pair 1 with an "expensive" $26 frame plus $5 in add-ons so $31 total and several other basic pair at $7 each. Used Zenni for DW for her last glasses order - she gets no line bifocals and even got blu blocker lenses - total cost for her with an extra single vision pair just for tv watching in the BR was under $100 - we previously got hers at Walmart and they usually ran around $180 for 1 pair. I measured PD for myself for the first order and we went to Costco for our latest eye exam and I asked the doctor for the PD which she happily provided and I was within 1 mm of her official measurement.

A Walmart exam and Zenni fan here for maybe 5-6 years. My eyes are getting better year after year. I get Titanium half-rim frames and progressive high refraction lenses with the oleo treatment. The lenses come standard with polished edges (an add on from my local DR). I do have to wait about 2 weeks for delivery.

The last 2 pair of glasses that I ordered had a note included saying that the glasses were made under license using a patented process held by a US company.

As mentioned before, Zenni is located in the USA. At least the final shipping is from here. Their glasses are made to order overseas, shipped in bulk to the US location, then shipped to the customer. This adds a bit of delay. You can pay a bit extra to speed up the process a bit.

If the frames break after warranty, you can buy just the frames (if they are still currently offered) for very little price. They include a small kit for you to change the lenses. I wish that I could purchase just the lenses. But they don't sell the lenses separately.

Do you have a Costco in your area? I just got a pair of progressive lenses in a basic frame for about $180 all in.

The last pair was about $100 more because the most comfortable frame happened to be name brand (Mont Blanc). The frame is very well built though. I think I will be able to reuse the frame for a number of lens changes though.

They had a full titanium frame Kirkland house brand frame for $80
But they discontinued it. Real sturdy an super light.

Both my spouse and I tried progressive lenses from Costco and were not satisfied with the progressive lenses compared to higher end lenses. I guess it all depends on each person and what you are used to. Love Costco, just not the quality of their progressive lenses.

Our experience was about 3-4 years ago, maybe they have upgraded their progressive lenses?

I’ve always been afraid to try progressive lenses. DH tried a few years ago and hated them.

I’ve always been afraid to try progressive lenses. DH tried a few years ago and hated them.

So he prefers lined bi or tri focal lenses over progressives? The lines in the lenses would drive me nuts. Once you wear progressive lenses for a few days they feel great!

So he prefers lined bi or tri focal lenses over progressives? The lines in the lenses would drive me nuts. Once you wear progressive lenses for a few days they feel great!

Sme here about the lines. I have progressives and love them. 15 years now with them.

I've had mine for 10+ years now, and love them. Only took a day or two to get used to them......now I never even think about it. The last ones I got from Zenni, though, were not right. I will probably try them again in the future, but I'll be more careful next time about measuring my PD, and if they still aren't right, I will be returning them right away.

Back
Top Bottom