Plantar Fasciitis

I had PF for a couple of years. Just suffered it, and thought it was just one of those things that came with old age. There were times it hurt so much, particularly in the morning when I took the first steps out of bed. Thought to myself, gosh, if it hurt like this in the 50s, I wouldn't want to live till the 80s.

Then, one day, mentioned it to my doctor in an annual visit. After learning what it was, I then discovered it was caused by my walking barefoot inside the house, which was mostly hardwood floor. Once I learned to use slippers, just a very thin cheap pair, I slowly returned to normal.

After learning what it was, I then discovered it was caused by my walking barefoot inside the house, which was mostly hardwood floor.

Mine was caused by riding my exercycle barefoot. I don't do that barefoot any more. :) Haven't had any symptoms for years but I'll never forget how painful it was at the time.

I assumed pain was normal with "old age" (in real life, I look younger than my age, kind of like Ronstar), because

"You know you are old when everything hurts. What doesn't hurt, doesn't work" - George Burns.

So, I was simply grateful that my feet still worked, and just suffered in silence.

I walk A LOT (thanks to my hyper border collie) and I've had PA flare up on and off over the years (especially when I had a job where I was on my feet most of the day). I've also just had mild heel pain - more of what I've experienced over the last few years.

I've never done the doctor visits and just dealt with it or tried a few of the remedies I could do on my own such as not walking around inside w/o support under my feet.

Couple of things I have stumbled on to lately that have helped ease heel pain issues:

1) I tried the athletic shoes w/the flexible soles by accident (ordered a pair not realizing it came w/flexible soles). For whatever reason, the shoes feel great to me even though it appears to be less cushion. Maybe it is that your feet move more naturally in 'em as opposed to other athletic shoes where you conform to the insole/tread.

2) As noted, I started to wear something that offered support while inside. It can be pretty much anything, although flip flops are generally not recommended as it needs to stick to your feet, but I will give you one product that I think is the most comfortable out there. It is made by the company that does the memory type foam for beds and they just so happen to have a line of indoor type mocs. My sister gave me a pair for x-mas years back (the Classic Velours) after she bought some after working the long 12 hr nurse shifts. One of the few x-mas gifts I still rave about :)

http://www.tempurpedic.com/tempur-pedic/Slippers.asp

Thanks Wildcat. My heel is very much improved following the Doc's advice, which is similar to yours. As well as the stretching exercises I purchased the inner soles he recommended for $25 from Sports Acadamy, plus he recommended Crocs for wearing around the house instead of bare feet or regular slippers. I guess they are similar to those tempurpedic ones in the link you posted.

A nice thing about the Crocs is that they are cool, and I had a pair anyway that I use for outdoors in the summer. I'm wearing them indoors now as well instead of slippers. I'll also take them with me when we visit our daughter for the Christmas week, as her house is all wood floors.

I'm hoping it was the hundreds of miles we hiked this summer that has caused the problem and that in 3 or 4 weeks I'll be able to start playing tennis again. We threw our boots away before we came back from vacation as they were well worn and ~7 years old. Should have listened to the advice given in Younger Next Year - exercise is very important so buy good kit - don't skimp!!

We'll treat ourselves to new boots before we go hiking again in a few months.

I had PF in both feet plus a badly inflamed knee from dancing. My doc told me to take all the weight off the joints for 6 months - wheelchair or crutches. Absolutely no dancing allowed.

Instead, I took MSM - which is an OTC anti-inflammatory that you can buy at any drugstore.

Within 3 days the pain was gone and I was able to tap dance again about a week later. Now, whenever I get twinges of heel pain, I take the MSM and it goes away immediately. That stuff is a miracle drug to me.

Nui

While I can't speak to PF, I did find MSM helped me when used on my pitching arm to recover from a game when I was playing ball several years ago.

For those that are active PF can be quite debilitating. I have a few friends that suffered from PF in the past and the custom orthodics and the elastic bands for stretching seemed to be very effective at eliminating PF pain for them.

Ice Pack Worked for me

A few years ago I developed PF after hiking up a long hill. Tried rest, etc. Neighbor suggested an ice pack to bring down the inflammation. After two weeks the pain was gone. Now I have it in the other foot near the toes. Need to find the ice pack.:D Bye the way, my son who has a degree in Kinesiology suggests wearing clean shoes to bed to keep the ligaments from tightening up. All the previous suggestions are wonderful. There are many roads to our holiday destination :angel:and all are worthy to try before we go to more invasive proceedures Eg cortisone shots.

I tend to have problems with PF when I walk a lot. My doctor suggested putting a cold can of pop under the arch of my foot and roll it forward and back (while sitting down). Sounds weird, but always gets me up and walking pain free the next day.

I tend to have problems with PF when I walk a lot. My doctor suggested putting a cold can of pop under the arch of my foot and roll it forward and back (while sitting down). Sounds weird, but always gets me up and walking pain free the next day.

My Doc suggested a frozen bottle of water works even better than an ice pack, rolling it with your foot as you suggest.

How is your PF holding up?
I have been nursing PF on my left foot for all of 2012 so far. Rereading these posts helped me see some of the things I am doing wrong.

How is your PF holding up?
I have been nursing PF on my left foot for all of 2012 so far. Rereading these posts helped me see some of the things I am doing wrong.

Thanks for asking.

It continues to be hard work. While on the naproxen, along with the exercises and overnight splint it improved a lot, but each time I came off the tablets it reversed itself.

However, I went to see the doc on April 5th and for the first time I could press on the center of the heel and tell him that this was the only place it hurt. He then gave me a cortisone shot right under that spot and within a couple of weeks the pain had gone away, just in time for our 3 month holiday, which includes plenty of hiking. I started taking naproxen again, 420mg in the morning and at night. While I don't have any stomach issues I'll continue with the tablets as my heel is feeling wonderful, despite lots of hiking in Utah, Oregon and Washington (although no more than 7 or 8 miles at a time).

We have just arrived on San Juan island where we will be for a month, so the exercise will be mostly walking, bike riding and kayaking, so I am hoping that the PF will soon clear up completely. I went and got measured for hiking boots at REI and they have been brilliant. If only I can figure out how to play tennis in them....

Hi Alan. I'm also recovering from PF (since last July). I thought it was from running, but am wondering now since I walk barefoot on hardwood floors (that will stop today!). I stopped running and have been cycling and taking spin classes instead and the pain is mostly gone. About ready to try running again to see how it feels.
I hope you enjoy San Juan Island. I spend my weekends on Whidbey Island and get up to the San Juans (Lopez, San Juan, Orcas) during the summer for kayaking and cycling. Make sure to check out some of the other islands including Shaw (much smaller). Lopez is great for cycling. We will get some rain over the next few days, but sun is expected again later in the week. ENJOY!!!!

Thanks Dog. Yes, we are planning to visit some of the other islands while here, and get in some cycling and kayaking.

While at home my Doc recommended wearing Crocs rather than going barefoot, which I do. Biking has no effect fortunately but tennis is a killer so I've had to give that up for the duration of this.

FWIW to people in this thread, I have a bit of personal advice regarding PF from both a personal anecdote, and some compelling science.

Yes, some of the best things to do for PF are to ice the hell out of it and take anti-inflammatory meds. Contrary to what most pediatrists will tell you, I would highly recommend against orthotics. The more and more cushion you put under your foot, the weaker it gets. People will essentially get "bound" to being in their shoes 24/7 and won't be able to walk around without them.

PF is essentially a problem with some weak muscles in the foot, and some tight ones. Some self myofascial release is a GREAT way to help out PF, along with doing some "foot pickups" (basically, you sit in a chair or stand and use your foot to pick up objects like golf balls by flexing and arching your foot). The problem with orthotics is that you're treating the symptom rather than treating the actual problem.

Self Treatment For Plantar Fasciitis - The Art of Fitness | The Art of Fitness - Austin Deep Tissue Massage Therapy is a great intro to self myofascial release. Frankly, I think everyone should have a foam roller and a couple of lacrosse balls in the house to "self massage" themselves. It has worked wonders for many people I know and myself included.

Also, I've had a lot of muscular-skeletal type issues in the past, and if it has taught me one thing, it is this: If you're having pain somewhere, more often than not it is being caused my a number of neighboring muscles acting in a way to totally mess up the area that you feel.

For example: Lower back pain. Barring any actual disc issues, generic lower back pain is almost ALWAYS an indicator of someone having extremely tight hips and weak lower abdominals. People sit in chairs way too much, and it causes their butts to become stretched out and weak, and their hips to be extremely tight. This puts a lot of pressure on the lower back to compensate. The solution? Taking a lacrosse ball and grinding the hell out of your hips, doing hip stretches, doing glute activation drills, and doing some abdominal work. Notice: None of that directly is the "lower back", but it all helps. (Specifically, this has helped me and a friend... so I'm not totally talking out of my butt, so to speak).

Also of note, I'm a strength trainer on the side... so I know my fair share of anatomy.

Thanks for the link Bo :greetings10:

I've already been exercising very similar to the website suggestions. The podiatrist I went to from the start was recommended by a personal trainer friend of mine, and the Doc is big on exercises. I only do the icing before bedtime, on days when I have been hiking and it hurts, which are becoming much less frequent.

I also find the massaging helps, which is something the Doc didn't mention, but I got that good advice from a physical therapist friend. (Thanks SG :))

I developed this as an injury while running in college (80+ miles a week took its toll). Luckily in all the year since it's never come back.

I know I'm late and didn't read ever post in the thread, but maybe this can help (most of these were passed on from the athletic PT we had access to)

- I started stretching my calves every time I walked stairs (or at least once a day). Stand like you're walking up the stairs with only the toe/ball of foot on the step and let the rest hang over.

- I would roll my foot on a baseball bat every morning when I got out of bed

- Massage makes a world of difference, even if you're doing it yourself.

- get in the habit of walking exercises once a day where you walk about 100 feet pointing your toes into the sky (walking on your heels), then on the way back walk up on your toes as high as you can.

All of those will stretch and strengthen your calves and tendons that wrap down to the bottom of your foot (where the Plantar Fasciitis is happening).

I still do the first two out of habit and have never had the problem since.

I can still remember how painful that injury was. As a runner, we teach ourselves to run through pain, but that was agonizing. Hope you've gotten it worked out by now. Good luck!

FWIW to people in this thread, I have a bit of personal advice regarding PF from both a personal anecdote, and some compelling science.

Yes, some of the best things to do for PF are to ice the hell out of it and take anti-inflammatory meds. Contrary to what most pediatrists will tell you, I would highly recommend against orthotics. The more and more cushion you put under your foot, the weaker it gets. People will essentially get "bound" to being in their shoes 24/7 and won't be able to walk around without them.

I don't know any podiatrists that prescribe orthotics for PF. My two kids and I all have orthotics, we got them due to biomechanical issues with the structure of the foot. PF CAN emerge due to biomechanical issues in the foot, including weak support muscles........

Footsmart is a great online site to help with foot issues, nice people and reasonable pricing: www.footsmart.com

Back
Top Bottom