Ladder Injuries

The thing I won't do is hire somebody who is quite young and capable, and is going to do it in an unsafe manner that he has gotten away with a 100 times before. I am not divorced from the consequences. My job is to look out for everybody including me.
The gutter installer up the thread is a fine example. His guys went out, and then did it the fast way every chance they could. I have seen gutter guys working over the top edge with nothing from the roof. I can't watch that. They always say, "this is fine and how we do it".
No thanks.
When we scaffold our way up the side of the house we are finishing everything as we go. The gutter guys can use that scaffold to put on the gutter too.

We installed stainless steel roof anchors every 4 feet on our roof peak. I think it is required by law in Washington state, at least that is what my wife told me. They are affixed with stainless steel nails (around 7 on each side of the peak to the 2x12 rafters. I climb out of the tower window on to the roof and the first anchor is within reach there so I clip on. No ladder needed to clean the gutters 30 feet off the ground!

The street side of my house has a relatively low roof, just normal height. But the house has a walk-out basement and a 2-story great room, and the roof eaves on that side of the house are about 30-35' high. All it would take is one slip while walking on the roof and you were in for a likely-fatal fall.

When I used to climb on that side, I roped up. I ran the rope over the peak down to where I was working. Only needed it once, but I was mighty glad I had it then.

the new house has some handy features. The wall height is low upstairs, and there is a cantilever walkway 4' wide down about 75% of the tall roof on that side.
The gutter is only 90" above that deck.
The other tall side has a 6x11 balcony. I will clean the gutters by blasting them with a garden hose just a couple of steps up a stepladder.
If I do the solar panels they will be washable from that same balcony. It will have a hot/cold hose bibb on the wall.
From those two vantage points I can see down the short low gutters on the first floor. I can wash those out from the comfort of a deck.

no ladders for me

It might be a good idea to ask your primary care provider for a precautionary bone density test.

I Slipped on Unseen melting ice & Had to get a pin in my r femur. To got home from the hospital, promptly fell against a bookshelf, broke my right humorous near the shoulder. Currently I have to call 911 For a stair chair assist to get out of the house and back in. I only leave for doctor's appointments.

Look around your house for safety hazards, save yourself a lot of pain. Trust me on this. It's okay to hire people to do things.

I spent most of the day Sunday up on my 12 foot step ladder cleaning moss and fir needles off our garage roof with a rake. I've always been comfortable working on ladders and didn't give it much thought.

Later that same day we got a message that my brother-in-law was in the hospital with six broken ribs after falling from a ladder while trimming limbs. He's been in the hospital three days now and is supposed to go home today. He's 62, just a couple years older than me, though he is a bit more of a risk taker than I am. From what I gather the foot of his ladder sunk into a mole tunnel while he was up on the ladder. He only fell four feet but landed directly on his right side.

Several months ago another brother-in-law's fell off a ladder while installing a light on the outside of their house. He messed up his knee pretty bad and has been out of work for a while now. At least he's walking.

Anyway, I don't see myself avoiding ladders for the near future, but I'll be sure to be a lot more careful and attentive when using them.

A coworker I'd known reportedly had a a terrible mishap on a ladder and had to have an amputation below the knee on one of leg.....I'd seen him around after the supposed event, but did not find it appropriate to ask him what happened, thought it too coarse to ask.

A buddy, who also is a retired firefighter, decided to clean his gutters when he could easily afford someone to do it. He reached in the gutter and there was a wasp nest there.They were not happy and he fell getting off the ladder and broke his ankle. He was in a boot for six weeks and still has pain and limps months later.

The correct, safe use of a portable ladder depends on multiple factors:

- Having the correct weight limit,

- Being placed at the proper angle 75 degrees or 1' out for each 4' of height,

- Extending far enough above the roof (3'),

- The ladder being set on a proper surface, and

- The ladder being "footed" or secured so the bottom of the ladder cannot slip.

While some people will protest that OSHA portable ladder safety standards do not apply to personal use, and they do not, the ground simply does not care if you're at work or at home when you hit it. To me, following or at least considering commercial safety standards is a good idea.

I worked on a fire department and took care of a lot of people who improperly used a portable ladder and splatted on the ground. That can be a "life-changing experience" and not in a good way.

People not trained in proper ladder selection and use often do not know how to set the angle properly, how to keep the ladder from slipping, and why the ladder needs to be taller than the surface you're stepping on to. Many times they "get away with it" while not even knowing that they're doing something potentially dangerous. The more they "get away with it" the less careful they may become.

Until they no longer get away with it.

Those of you with portable ladders should consider asking yourselves how you can use your ladder in a safer manner and whether you even have the proper portable ladder.

Simply put, I want to minimize my chances of having a "life-changing experience" when I use a portable ladder. You may have more tolerance for risk than I do.

FWIW.

A buddy, who also is a retired firefighter, decided to clean his gutters when he could easily afford someone to do it. He reached in the gutter and there was a wasp nest there.They were not happy and he fell getting off the ladder and broke his ankle. He was in a boot for six weeks and still has pain and limps months later.

That is rather surprising that a firefighter would fall off a ladder. I would not have predicted that one, thinking they would be the absolute safest people, maybe wear a harness and safety line or something.

It might be a good idea to ask your primary care provider for a precautionary bone density test.
My PCP recommends these annually for most folks over 70. Very quick and cheap. Takes like 10 minutes and I get the results later that day. So far, so good.:) I take calcium supplements so maybe that helps. But they do have "stuff" they can give you if your bones start getting to weak/thin/fragile.

Last edited:
Fermion said:
That is rather surprising that a firefighter would fall off a ladder. I would not have predicted that one, thinking they would be the absolute safest people, maybe wear a harness and safety line or something.

That's not required on the job and familiarity does breed contempt.

Plus, he was trying to get away from the wasps stinging the heck out of his arms and legs.

Just call the man!

I'm sure a lot of you have good anecdotes but about 20 years ago when I was in my mid 40's the Dish satellite signal was breaking up. Luckily, the Antenna was on the lowest subroof--not the roof 25 feet up. The kids weren't there--playing soccer (not sure why I was not there)--so I put the ladder up, climbed up, and tested the connections. Had to go down and replace the cable and noticed the ladder was a bit unsteady and filed it away. Coming down, sure enough the ladder slipped but luckily I was paying attention and just jumped 10 feet to the ground. That might have been a disaster now.

Only a month or two later my youngest's soccer coach was up on a ladder, it slipped..........and he broke his hip and was out for 4 months.

Hire someone, bonded. Part of my gutter separated from the northeast corner of the house, so I need to get something done to re-attach. This was kind of a reminder that I probably shouldn't do it myself.

No extension ladders for me @68yr old. I do have a large very stable "a" frame ladder that is a little giant clone. I feel safe on that as long as I keep my weight centered on the ladder. I'm considering purchasing a scaffolding system for cleaning my RV. No roof, gutter cleaning or tree trimming for me. That's why I have income so I can hire young people to take those risks. Three or four feet is my limit. At my age I have to realize I just don't bounce anymore.

What a topic ~ these stories are incredible and I'm struck by how each of you/us have ladder tales... often deadly :(

It made me think of a few of my friends over the years who have had similar situations ... Friend #1 cleaning leaves from gutters fell & broke his hip, Friend #2 climbing makeshift ladder to get coconut out of tree and fell on her pruning shears with a gash in her leg needing stitches; Friend #3 with the deadly combo of chainsaw and ladder in tree fell and sawed open his thigh (barely survived that one).

Now, here I sit in on our sailboat/home in a marina, having just been put back in the water after being on the "hard" doing boatwork. We had to live onboard the boat on land for a few weeks (usually we avoid it by renting apartment).

We need to use a ladder to get on and off the boat on land. In the photos, you can see the wooden ladder on our back stern to the right. There are also neighbor's ladders back there, plus scaffolding and boat blocking visible, a typical boatyard scene. Pleasantly surprised I haven't seen more boatyard incidents.

I was so cautious getting on and off the boat. Felt pretty ancient going so slow, but as sailors we know how much one mistake or slip can be deadly serious. I have yet to go up the 64' mast on a halyard, but that's also a necessary part of sailboat maintenance and my husband does that (doesn't like it).

Attachments

• IMG_8042.jpg
    IMG_8042.jpg
    727.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I'm sure a lot of you have good anecdotes but about 20 years ago when I was in my mid 40's the Dish satellite signal was breaking up. Luckily, the Antenna was on the lowest subroof--not the roof 25 feet up. The kids weren't there--playing soccer (not sure why I was not there)--so I put the ladder up, climbed up, and tested the connections. Had to go down and replace the cable and noticed the ladder was a bit unsteady and filed it away. Coming down, sure enough the ladder slipped but luckily I was paying attention and just jumped 10 feet to the ground. That might have been a disaster now.

I have a satellite dish/ladder story as well.

I've always been uncomfortable on extension ladders but accepted that using one was a necessary means to clean gutters, etc. A few years ago when in my early 70's, I decided it was time to remove the unused Dish dish :) located about 15 feet up on the side of our two story garage.

I positioned the extension ladder below the dish and began loosening bolts, planning on first removing the actual dish, then removing the mounting bracket. I hadn't been smart enough to think that plan through and when I loosened the second bolt the dish pivoted down and struck me in the top of the head. The blow cut a two inch gash in my scalp and really rang my bell.

I hung on to the top of that ladder for dear life until my head cleared enough for me to carefully get down the ladder then ask DW to take me to the ER for a few stitches.

That experience was the end to my extension ladder days.

What a topic ~ these stories are incredible and I'm struck by how each of you/us have ladder tales... often deadly :(

It made me think of a few of my friends over the years who have had similar situations ... Friend #1 cleaning leaves from gutters fell & broke his hip, Friend #2 climbing makeshift ladder to get coconut out of tree and fell on her pruning shears with a gash in her leg needing stitches; Friend #3 with the deadly combo of chainsaw and ladder in tree fell and sawed open his thigh (barely survived that one).

Now, here I sit in on our sailboat/home in a marina, having just been put back in the water after being on the "hard" doing boatwork. We had to live onboard the boat on land for a few weeks (usually we avoid it by renting apartment).

We need to use a ladder to get on and off the boat on land. In the photos, you can see the wooden ladder on our back stern to the right. There are also neighbors ladders back there, plus scaffolding and boat blocking visible, a typical boatyard scene. Pleasantly surprised I haven't seen more boatyard incidents.

I was so cautious getting on and off the boat. Remember feeling like an old lady, but as sailors we know how much one mistake or slip can be deadly serious. I have yet to go up the 64' mast on a halyard, but that's also a necessary part of sailboat maintenance and my husband does that (doesn't like it).
Thank you for the boatyard picture and stories. I have many fond memories of that.
I think you won't hear as many ladder stories from there, because just the practice of boating requires "sea legs".
Just walking down a floating finger pier freaks a lot of landlubbers out. It is an acquired taste/skill to head off on a wobbly platform with an armful of gear.

I have a satellite dish/ladder story as well.

I've always been uncomfortable on extension ladders but accepted that using one was a necessary means to clean gutters, etc. A few years ago when in my early 70's, I decided it was time to remove the unused Dish dish :) located about 15 feet up on the side of our two story garage.

I positioned the extension ladder below the dish and began loosening bolts, planning on first removing the actual dish, then removing the mounting bracket. I hadn't been smart enough to think that plan through and when I loosened the second bolt the dish pivoted down and struck me in the top of the head. The blow cut a two inch gash in my scalp and really rang my bell.

I hung on to the top of that ladder for dear life until my head cleared enough for me to carefully get down the ladder then ask DW to take me to the ER for a few stitches.

That experience was the end to my extension ladder days.
Well now, that explains a lot. :2funny:

I swore when I turned 55 and every time I’ve done so since to never climb on the roof again.

DH is now 77. When he was 75 I decided he was done with using the ladder to clean the gutters. Reading the responses here, I'm just as happy to pay someone else to do that job.

DH is now 77. When he was 75 I decided he was done with using the ladder to clean the gutters. Reading the responses here, I'm just as happy to pay someone else to do that job.

We got rid of gutters - by getting rid of our house! Condo life ain't cheap, but not doing all the maintenance ourselves has been a true joy of FIRE. YMMV

My 91 yo dad still climbs a ladder from time to time. I can't stop him. I live 400 miles away and see him 5-6 times a year. I always try to take care of any ladder chores while there, but he is strong willed and impatient. All I can really do is just wait for the phone call some day.

My 91 yo dad still climbs a ladder from time to time. I can't stop him. I live 400 miles away and see him 5-6 times a year. I always try to take care of any ladder chores while there, but he is strong willed and impatient. All I can really do is just wait for the phone call some day.

I know the anxiety this invokes.

I have a 95 yr old relative that even took his "safe" ladder apart as it was too heavy, and just uses the extension part (with rounded feet :facepalm: ) as a step ladder.

I tried that "step ladder" and it's dangerous and rocky, and a stupid idea.

He doesn't call me and I live just 15 minutes away.

He already fell off a stepladder some years ago and broke some ribs... just stubborn.

I don't go up on the roof any more -- especially the back roof with a 30' drop, which I roped up on to avoid catastrophe. But I do still use my 8' stepladder to put up Christmas lights.

Bigger issue, I have a stupidly large/tall house. I have a 27' peak in my great room. There are many bulbs waaay up in the air. Fortunately most of them lasted for decades, but they're starting to go now. I just replaced a high one last month and I decided that was enough of that. The electrician is coming back to do the rest of them.

I have accepted it is best for me to hire work at height for most things around the house.

Having said that, we just got this ladder with a work platform that you can safely and comfortably stand on. Very stable. it is excellent and do recommend. If I need more than this, I am calling the youngsters ...
XKqRvkTl.png
[/IMG]

I have this same fiberglass platform ladder. It is safe but heavy.

Has anyone has tried the Ladder Mover adapter that converts a non-folding hand truck into a ladder dolly? If so, how was your experience with it?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom