plantar fasciitis

Had PF to varying degrees for years. I wear orthoheels. Only shoe that helps.

Had the cortisone shot but that was a temp fix. The only thing that truly works per me and my podiatrist are the exercises. You can YouTube examples. You must do these every day! If I miss too many days the symptoms return.

Good luck.

Super feet inserts and calf stretching worked for me - make sure you get the proper color for your feet if you go with super feet. you may need a podiatrist to tell you that. bicycling helped I think that was probably just more calf stretching - I had to try a few different shoes and ended up with keen targhee shoes.

Struggled with it for at least 6 months IIRC. Finally saw doc, they prescribed 6 weeks of PT. I think that was all hooey. However, I did like the PT and he said I did not have a tight calf and any boot or Strasberg sock would not do me any good. I used silicone heel cups that helped, but for me it was just the time to stay off. Recommended stretching before running, but I've pretty much just given up running now. Have only occaisionally felt any heel pain on waking up now even though I don't use the heel cups any more and do walk barefoot around the house on hardwoods....something they warn against.

Podiatrist sold me a boot, which I found later on Amazon for 1/3 the price. To top things off, my foot is so darn big it didn't fit. He took it back, but only after I got the bill did I realize he wasn't going to refund the money. :mad::mad::mad:

Long story sorting it out, but needless to say, I don't go to that guy any more.

I have had PF in the past- though it doesn't sound as serious as your problem. I've used the frozen water bottle, along with stretching as other people have described. I've opted to buy tennis shoes with good arch support. But what really helped was having foot massages.

Barefoot is what gave me PF, I don't do that anymore. Got some nice comfy slippers - :)

Had the same problem years ago and saw a podiatrist who made custom orthodox inserts which helped to some degree. I ended up ordering some Phase Four orthotics that have been excellent. They do take some getting used to but they did the trick and I highly recommend them. Hope this helps.

That what worked for me... Took a couple of weeks. How are you sugar levels.

Before spending money on custom orthotics, which can be very pricey, try an over-the-counter one made by Superfeet. Most running stores should carry them. A local podiatrist suggested to my son that he try those first before being measured for the custom ones, and they worked.

Also, work on strengthening the muscles in your feet - a common exercise is to lay a towel out on a tile or hardwood floor, and use your toes to scrunch it and gather it up. Stretching helps too - the "wall pushup" where you keep your foot flat on the floor while leaning into a wall - you should feel the stretch through your calves and into your foot. Start these gently though so you don't aggravate the problem.

I had a terrible case of plantar faciitis many years ago that was finally cured by Dr. Steve Pribut in DC with a combination of orthotics (custom - over the counter didn't work for me, but they weren't as good back then either), stretching, and exercises. Here is a page on his web site that's somewhat dense, but may help: Dr. Pribut on Plantar Fasciitis and Heel Pain in Runners

Good luck!

I had two LONG bouts of PF. Both were well over a year. First one went away on it's own. Came back a few years later. Nothing seemed to help the second time, until I broke down and bought the custom orthotics. Expensive but worth every penny.

The doctor also advised that I wear nothing but a good running shoe and swap out every 6 months, as the cushioning breaks down (even if you aren't running in them). I cant say I swap every six months, but I do buy a new pair every year, whereas before I would wear my cheap sneakers for years.

First sign of pain - lots of ice and stretching. Dont give it a chance to "get worse".

It's been gone for about 5 years now. Haven't used the orthotics in a couple of years. I also got brave and bought a pair of Sperrys that I successfully wear from time to time.

Good Luck - PF is real tough to get rid of......

I have a stubborn case of plantar fasciitis for almost a year. I had it several years ago in left foot, and now its in the right foot. I've tried a couple weeks of rest, ice, stretching exercises, and even tried using an Omron TENS, none of which has helped. I don't go barefoot, or wear flip-flops, but I do like my tennis matches a couple times a week, which probably doesn't help the situation.
Anybody out there have recent experience with how to get relief? I am seeing my primary doc tomorrow to get a referral to see a Podiatrist and am hoping to get some curative insight from you all.
Chuck

My wife has been dealing with this for a few years now. NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, has helped. She has seen numerous doctors all prescribing something different in the treatment arena. A few months ago she went and saw an ortho doc that immediately told her the cause of the pain was her calf muscle. My wife is a toe walker, was a runner in high school, and exercises regularly. Next month she will undergo an out patient procedure in which 3 incisions will be placed in her calf muscle. She will wear a boot for 2 weeks that is designed to stretch the calf muscle, and according to the ortho doc, relieve the pain in her foot. Neither of us ever heard of this procedure before, but according to the ortho doc it's quite common.

Mike

Well I saw the podiatrist yesterday. She said my calf and Achilles were very tight and was probably causing my PF. So my feet are taped for a week and I am doing stretching exercises. Most important is to use a belt before getting out of bed. I am supposed to put the belt around the ball of my foot and pull back to stretch the muscles and tendons. The podiatrist said it is my first few steps in the morning that can lead to misery all day. By not stretching, it may be causing the heel bone to bleed, which encourages spurs (I have two small spurs). So, I will take it easy, do the exercises and report back to the doc in a week. I like her approach in going for non-invasive treatment options first prior to injections, orthotics, etc.
Chuck

FWIW, my PT said to hold calf stretches for 3 minutes at a time and repeat if necessary. Before getting that advice I probably had never held any stretch longer than a minute.

FWIW, my PT said to hold calf stretches for 3 minutes at a time and repeat if necessary. Before getting that advice I probably had never held any stretch longer than a minute.

Wow, thats significantly longer than the 30-sec holds my doc prescribed. I will attempt to increase duration over then next few days. Thanks for the info.
Chuck

Wow, thats significantly longer than the 30-sec holds my doc prescribed. I will attempt to increase duration over then next few days. Thanks for the info.

Chuck

My doc also said something like 2 minutes (as a data point) she also said do them quite often like 8 times a day especially if you sit most of the day

I used to the be director for the local multisport (triathlon, running, cycling, etc) club. Anytime someone said they came down with PF, I always responded with this, "Enjoy your 24 month hiatus from competitive sports." I said that simply because there really are no silver bullets to a quick cure. Just time and therapy.

What I tried with various degrees of success?
- The boot, at night. Wife hated it and it was sleeping difficult.
- Sleeping on my back and keeping my foot at 90 degrees. A strousberg sock will is the same.
- Orthodics. (Good luck getting health insurance to pay for a $500 piece of plastic.)
- all kinds of stretching balls, rollers, and other crap didn't work.

What ultimately cured it?
I stopped running for a long time. At least 6 months.
I also found that wearing Crocs around the house helped. Something about them distribute your weight and all your arch to heal.

I work from home and typically walk around barefoot. But, changing my habits to wearing crocs while walking around at home seemed to do the trick.

What ultimately cured it?
I stopped running for a long time. At least 6 months.

Same here - when I had PF a few years ago, I quit running for 5-6 months which cured it for me. I have not had another bout and still run a few times a week. I believe it has been 7-8 years since.

Back
Top Bottom