Poll:Those who follow a LCHF (Low Carb High Fiber) Diet, What do you eat?

Do you have a LCHF diet as a lifestyle?

• Yes

Votes: 46 35.9%
  • No

Votes: 40 31.3%
  • Sometimes (On and Off)

Votes: 42 32.8%

• Total voters
I missed the “Fiber” part of your LCHF. I’ve only seen it to mean Fat. That’s what you need to increase IMO to help with volume/boredom issue. Fat is what makes it work. I try for less than 20 grams of net carbs, moderate protein and the rest of my daily needs are fat. Totally different than the medical, food industry and big Pharma would have you believe but it works for me. I recommend you watch a documentary called “The Magic Pill” on Netflix if you have it.

Sometimes for me. I usually eat a high fiber cereal almost every day, but we eat out 3 days a week and that is certainly not LCHF.

I don't do LCHF, but when I need to lose a few pounds I do a lower net carb, higher fat diet. By lower net carb, I mean an average of 110 g per day. Nowhere close to 20 g per day.

I’m pretty sure LCHF = low carb, high FAT. I’m pretty sure that is the utmost common use for that acronym. It’s hard to do a low carb high fiber diet when you eat no grains and carbs are so limited.

Right. I've never heard the last letter in LCHF to mean "fiber." "LCHF" has always designated "low carb, high fat" -- at least in the circles I travel. I've never even heard of a low carb, high fiber diet.

I think the benefits of fiber are greatly exaggerated and the risks minimized. Here's one example:
https://chriskresser.com/myths-and-truths-about-fiber/

I do eat a low carb, high fat diet. For a while, I ate a zero carb, high fat diet (carnivore). I had a lot of great results, including 40 pound weight loss without any effort or restriction in eating, big improvements in HDL/triglyceride, increases in mood and energy, and clearing up of other minor ailments and digestive issues.

I've started to include some low-carb veggies lately, but I'm still low carb, high fat. I don't see myself going back. The literature seems too clear to me, and my personal results have been very convincing.

Last edited:
I have been on LCHF (F = Fat) for 1.5 years now due to A1C levels and wanting to avoid Metformin. I lost over 40lbs (now 148 on avg) and A1C is good. Side benefit is that even with the high Fat, I have also stopped Cholesterol meds, and Triglycerides lowest since I have been tested. Don't know if it works for everyone, but has for me.

As far as being hungy from low carb, what I have reseached and read is that the high fat part of the LCHF lifestyle is what keeps you from feeling hungy. I am talking a 5% - 25% - 70% ration of Carbs, Protein and Fat.
Interesting that you want to avoid Metformin. Listening to the Peter Attia podcast he was saying that many people are now trying to get that prescription for life longevity reasons.

https://futurism.com/metformin-diabetes-drug-life-extension

I think the benefits of fiber are greatly exaggerated and the risks minimized. Here's one example:
https://chriskresser.com/myths-and-truths-about-fiber/

I'm not sure about your comment on fiber. It may be true, but one thing I have learned is that the 'experts' often disagree, and also change their minds, often at the drop of an embarrassing hat.

IMHO, the problems arise because of the need to artificially 'juice' a product with the miracle ingredient of the day. Fiber in food is good, so add fiber from various sources to everything. The same thing is true with reservatrol (sp?), Omega-3's, and all sorts of minerals. Just pile them up to unnatural levels in various foods. After all, what could possibly go wrong?

The best way to get more fiber is to eat an extra helping of a mostly unprocessed food that naturally contains more fiber. Anybody for a pear or some nuts?

Last edited:
If one is doing low carb and still hungry, they are probably not getting enough fat. Fat is what keeps you satiated.

I lost 35 lbs doing keto with IF (16/8) and my DH lost 60 lbs doing keto and OMAD.

Our dinners usually consist of steak, lamb, pork, or chicken with one or two sides of cauliflower, asparagus, green beans, broccoli, cabbage, or salad. Dessert is usually berries and cheese. I usually have eggs or leftovers for lunch and snacks of cheese or nuts. We try to only eat minimally-processed foods.

I think it’s kind of pointless to try to do a very low carb diet and cut the fat. You’ll just end up eating way more protein which itself, if in excess, converts to glucose generating an insulin response, or go hungry.

If you are trying to reduce saturated fat intake, then up the avocados, olives, use plenty of mayo from good fats, olive oil, avocado oil, the lower carb nuts.

Last edited:
I think my issue is not enough fat as noted. Maybe loosen up on the fiber and add some fat.

Yep, I think that may be the issue with your hunger. Don't be afraid of fat, but be sure you eat the RIGHT fats........things like butter, olive oil, coconut oil, beef tallow, avocados. Avoid the wrong fats (like the heavily processed seed oils.....corn oil, vegetable oil, canola oil, etc) like the plague, as they promote disease. And try to avoid most things made from flour and especially baked goods loaded with sugar whenever possible, as that stuff will put on the pounds fast (as will sugary drinks like soda and fruit juice). Stick with whole, unprocessed (or at least minimally processed) foods whenever possible.

I would describe my diet as basically moderate carb/high fat/moderate protein. If I go too "low carb", I can't maintain my weight, and I don't need to lose any weight. On a typical day, my diet looks something like this:

Breakfast - 3 eggs (scrambled), with garden greens and some kind of protein (leftover meat from dinner the day before, usually). Sometimes I add some cheese also.

Lunch - stir fry, with some kind of veggies (again, usually leftovers), some kind of protein (beef, chicken venison, lamb), served over a little bit of rice. I use olive oil or coconut oil for stir-frying.

Dinner - meat or fish, some kind of green veggie, and maybe something like a sweet potato w/ butter (sometimes a regular potato). One glass of red wine.

I don't really limit portion size.........I eat as much as I want of these foods. If I eat like this, my weight stays basically constant from week to week.

This may sound pretty boring, but actually it's not, as we often cook ethnic dishes and things like that to mix things up, but we try to stay within this general framework most of the time. An occasional splurge meal (that is higher carb or with a sweet dessert, etc) is not going to hurt you, as long as you stick to your basic plan most of the time. Anyway, it works for me.........YMMV.

I'm not sure about your comment on fiber. It may be true, but one thing I have learned is that the 'experts' often disagree, and also change their minds, often at the drop of an embarrassing hat.

Well, that's part of what I'm referencing. The "expert opinion" in this area for the past few decades is that fiber is wonderful and we should all eat lots of fiber. Turns out that's not true, just like so many other things the "experts" have told us for the past few decades have not been true (e.g., re. saturated fat, cholesterol, meat, plant-based diets, salt, whole grains, etc.).

I do agree that, if you're someone who wants to eat lots of fiber, you should get it from natural foods, not supplements. Eat some good veggies; don't sprinkle cardboard on your cereal. ;p

Last edited:
Low Carb High Fat is OK too. Just a slightly different take. Maybe a Mod can add /fat to the poll and title of the thread. :)

I meant what proportion, or how many grams per day. Without that, there isn't any information.

Lot of fruit, whole grains, cheese, eggs, meat.

Last night I cooked up some ground venison, spiced with basil, parsley, onion and garlic powder, worchishire sauce, sarachi, cinnamon and parmesan cheese. After it was cooked, added some riced cauliflower. Sautied for awhile and then added mixed veggies (corn and peas are not the best low carb but they the only carb in the entire meal). Nuc' ed some scrambled eggs and folded it in. Served topped with 4 cheese grated cheese. Thought of adding portabella mushrooms but they are saved for the pork rind or almond flour coated chicken breast served over a bed of roasted spaghetti squash and alfredo sauce.

Ahh, Lawrence, now you just make me hungry. Sound great!

I have experimented with LCHF for more than 5 years. I have concluded that for me (and me only since this is anecdotal) calories is what counts but LCHF allows me to control weight without counting calories. As I got into my 60s I grew dissatisfied with my weight. I had gained about a pound a year for decades and at 6', 195 lbs and climbing I had a beer belly that I was always sucking in. I read Taubes and similar books and concluded that LCHF was worth a shot.

I used the New Adkins diet as a guide but decided to start at step two. Instead of going zero carb Keto for a few weeks I aimed for 50-100 grams of carbs a day. The Atkins approach is easy to follow once you master reading nutrition labels on packages and online nutrition tables for whole foods. I never targeted or counted calories. I simply ate as much as I liked while counting grams of digestible carbs and keeping them under 100/day. The pounds rapidly dropped off until I stabilized at 163 which was about where I was in my early 30s. I was surprised to find that the belly fat disappeared - I expected to lose that last. The diet was pretty easy for me since I love bacon, eggs, meats, fish, sausages, nuts, cheeses, etc. My biggest surprise is that my "numbers" improved. I was able to drop statins with only a moderate increase in my LDL, a substantial increase in HDL, and a big drop in triglycerides. I still view my diet as unhealthy (I hate vegetables) but I am less concerned than I expected to be.

My success increased my interest in LCHF so for a while I became a bit of a fanboy. But as I increased my readings, I became skeptical of the insulin theory of Taubes and other LCHF proponents. Stephen Guyenet is a very professional researcher who has published studies that cast a lot of doubt on Taubes' et al. After about six months at 163 I started to experiment. I increased the amount of potatoes and rice I ate with no impact on weight. Hamburgers with half a bun, no impact. Later, I added back moderate amounts of pasta, also with no impact. What I stayed away from was sugar, especially chocolate which is my major addiction. Again, several more years without weight change and continued stable lipid numbers. Finally, about a year ago I started experimenting with my craving for chocolates. I now indulge in Trader Joe's Pound+ Belgian chocolate bars. Unfortunately when I buy them I eat A LOT - about 8 ounces a day. When I do that I switch back to my old weight gain mode and slowly creep up. I weigh myself every morning at the same time and always cut the chocolate out if I breach 165. Within days of stopping the chocolate I drop back to 163. Other than the chocolate I avoid most other sugars except on special occasions (eg, a fancy dinner with desert).

I suspect that, for me at least, what is happening is that a LCHF, whole foods diet allows my body's natural homeostatic signals to trigger satiety before I over consume, thus the ability to eat as much as I want. If I add too much sugar I will throw the homeostasis off and start the gradual climb.

I know what the correct answer is - avoid the bad stuff like the plague. I am playing with fire by screwing around with my chocolate addiction. I recommend that others avoid such dangerous behavior. Once you find an optimal diet that works stick with it.

Last edited:

How is eating a lot of fruit, "low carb"? Fruit is full of carbohydrates. That is what I mean by, what is the definition? I must be too dense.

How is eating a lot of fruit, "low carb"? Fruit is full of carbohydrates. That is what I mean by, what is the definition? I must be too dense.

It depends. Yes, for the intro phase of most carb-restricting diets, fruits are very limited. But a lot of fruits are high in fiber, offsetting some of the sugar, and can be added back in after the initial keto-restrictive phases, ie, when one allows for 20-50 daily carbs.

Most of the melon family, and strawberries, are fine for "post phase 1."

At least there are some numbers there. ^^^
I assume 20-50 daily carbs means 20 to 50 grams of carbohydrates? Then I am definitely not "low carb" because I eat apples, bananas, raisins, carrots, and other assorted produce every day.

Last edited:
I've read that when you first start, the goal should be under 20 grams for the first month and then settle in to less than 50 grams a day after that. I find it pretty easy to stay under 20 almost every day. I also take 6 fiber pills in the morning and 6 in the evening. 1 1/2 years in, down 25 lbs. A1c went from 8.6 to 5.3. YMMV

Last edited:
Not to mention he listed grains as well.

50g net carbs daily is generally considered the max level for “low carb”, at least with respect to maintaining ketosis if that is your goal.

Moderately higher levels than that are still much lower carb than the traditional American diet or the food pyramid. I suspect 100g net carbs daily limit would still provide lots of the benefits even without ketosis.

At least there are some numbers there. ^^^
I assume 20-50 daily carbs means 20 to 50 grams of carbohydrates? Then I am definitely not "low carb" because I eat apples, bananas, raisins, carrots, and other assorted produce every day.

Yes, the daily count is grams of net carbs. The fiber which does not pass to the blood stream is subtracted out from the total carbs listed on a nutrition label.

Even using subtracting out the fiber, if you eat plenty of fruit daily including dried fruit, you are probably well above 50 net carbs.

Last edited:
I've read that when you first start, the goal should be under 20 grams for the first month and then settle in to less than 50 grams a day after that. I find it prety easy to stay under 20 almost every day. 1 1/2 years in, down 25 lbs. A1c went from 8.6 to 5.3. YMMV

There are a bunch of different approaches depending on how quickly you want things to happen.

This sounds like a moderate carb diet at best. It’s tough to stay under 50 net carbs a day when consuming any grains and eating large amounts of fruit.

Nothing wrong with a moderate carb diet for a healthy person, I just wanted to make the distinction.

Last edited:
I have experimented with LCHF for more than 5 years. I have concluded that for me (and me only since this is anecdotal) calories is what counts but LCHF allows me to control weight without counting calories. As I got into my 60s I grew dissatisfied with my weight. I had gained about a pound a year for decades and at 6', 195 lbs and climbing I had a beer belly that I was always sucking in. I read Taubes and similar books and concluded that LCHF was worth a shot.

I used the New Adkins diet as a guide but decided to start at step two. Instead of going zero carb Keto for a few weeks I aimed for 50-100 grams of carbs a day. The Atkins approach is easy to follow once you master reading nutrition labels on packages and online nutrition tables for whole foods. I never targeted or counted calories. I simply ate as much as I liked while counting grams of digestible carbs and keeping them under 100/day. The pounds rapidly dropped off until I stabilized at 163 which was about where I was in my early 30s. I was surprised to find that the belly fat disappeared - I expected to lose that last. The diet was pretty easy for me since I love bacon, eggs, meats, fish, sausages, nuts, cheeses, etc. My biggest surprise is that my "numbers" improved. I was able to drop statins with only a moderate increase in my LDL, a substantial increase in HDL, and a big drop in triglycerides. I still view my diet as unhealthy (I hate vegetables) but I am less concerned than I expected to be.

My success increased my interest in LCHF so for a while I became a bit of a fanboy. But as I increased my readings, I became skeptical of the insulin theory of Taubes and other LCHF proponents. Stephen Guyenet is a very professional researcher who has published studies that cast a lot of doubt on Taubes' et al. After about six months at 163 I started to experiment. I increased the amount of potatoes and rice I ate with no impact on weight. Hamburgers with half a bun, no impact. Later, I added back moderate amounts of pasta, also with no impact. What I stayed away from was sugar, especially chocolate which is my major addiction. Again, several more years without weight change and continued stable lipid numbers. Finally, about a year ago I started experimenting with my craving for chocolates. I now indulge in Trader Joe's Pound+ Belgian chocolate bars. Unfortunately when I buy them I eat A LOT - about 8 ounces a day. When I do that I switch back to my old weight gain mode and slowly creep up. I weigh myself every morning at the same time and always cut the chocolate out if I breach 165. Within days of stopping the chocolate I drop back to 163. Other than the chocolate I avoid most other sugars except on special occasions (eg, a fancy dinner with desert).

I suspect that, for me at least, what is happening is that a LCHF, whole foods diet allows my body's natural homeostatic signals to trigger satiety before I over consume, thus the ability to eat as much as I want. If I add too much sugar I will throw the homeostasis off and start the gradual climb.

I know what the correct answer is - avoid the bad stuff like the plague. I am playing with fire by screwing around with my chocolate addiction. I recommend that others avoid such dangerous behavior. Once you find an optimal diet that works stick with it.

That’s a very interesting detailed history Don. So you used lower carb without ketosis to get to your ideal weight, and also could drop statins. And then gradually shifted to a moderate carb diet that let you maintain your healthy weight. I assume your blood sugar and lipid numbers stayed in the healthy range? What was it about the insulin hypothesis that turned you off? Did you feel like you were taking health risks if you ate lower carb? Thanks.

Not to mention he listed grains as well.

50g net carbs daily is generally considered the max level for “low carb”, at least with respect to maintaining ketosis if that is your goal.

Moderately higher levels than that are still much lower carb than the traditional American diet or the food pyramid. I suspect 100g net carbs daily limit would still provide lots of the benefits even without ketosis.

Yes, the daily count is grams of net carbs. The fiber which does not pass to the blood stream is subtracted out from the total carbs listed on a nutrition label.

Even using subtracting out the fiber, if you eat plenty of fruit daily including dried fruit, you are probably well above 50 net carbs.

Thank you for the explanation, audreyh1.

Back
Top Bottom