Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-31-2021, 07:00 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
The part that doesn't seem right to me, is that we are subsidizing a family of 2 making $70K a year and a family of 4 making $104k. I thought it was poor people that needed help.
I'm very open to alternative ways to dealing with the health care situation in this country. But I also don't think it's right that a family of 2 making $70,000 should have to pay $14,400 in health care premiums + the additional costs of deductibles $7600 + the additional costs of prescriptions. These numbers are from my county. And my county does not seem to be the most expensive (by far) for medical care in this country.

That is more than 20% of their income -- just for the premiums.

Solve the problem one way or another. It's a problem.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2021, 07:24 AM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
All this arguing over the ACA and in 2020 only 8 Million people signed up.
The numbers has been in decline since 2016, and we are getting closer to the actual number of people that needed real help, although clearly not there yet, there are still people with 100s of thousands of dollars and even a million dollars still an the ACA. So now to make it look better, (bump the numbers), the government is giving it away for free? It would have been much better to actually take care of those that needed it. As it is now, the poor are asking where am I going to get $16,300 for my family deductible.
Most silver plans for "poor" people ( a couple making $25,000 a year) have $700 deductibles and max OOP of $1800-$1950 far, far, from $16,000. This is in Mi.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:41 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The single biggest tax benefit the US Government provides is thebhealth insurance tax break for employed people, and the highest income employees earn the greatest benefit. This is never mentioned when people complain about a benefit others receive.

The median household income in the US is around $69k, and the average cost of large group family health insurance is $21k. Before tax, that’s almost 1/3, before payroll and income tax. Health care insurance is unaffordable for middle income working families, and they only get it at all because it’s paid by the employers.
Your implicit assumption is that the employer still pays all costs...maybe that was true 20+ years ago but not today.

OTOH, for the 4 public systems I mentioned taxpayers do indeed bear nearly all the costs.

Which will only increase with the likely permanent end of the ACA cliff and even more so if "Medicare at 60" happens.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:03 AM   #64

Oh look, another ACA bashing thread! Porky on the way...
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:07 AM   #65
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Your implicit assumption is that the employer still pays all costs...maybe that was true 20+ years ago but not today.

OTOH, for the 4 public systems I mentioned taxpayers do indeed bear nearly all the costs.

Which will only increase with the likely permanent end of the ACA cliff and even more so if "Medicare at 60" happens.
On average, for the year 2020, the large group policy costs $21342, the employer share was $15754, the employee share was $5588. Unseen here is the tax subsidy, the single largest tax expenditure item in the US Gov’t budget.

Most of the costs of the ACA are not paid by taxpayers. Medicaid yes, VA yes, Employer provided, partly. Medicare, it’s paid by govt only if you don’t consider the years of contributions from payroll taxes.

The only people in the US that pay full unsubsidized price for health insurance are ACA users who can’t deduct and receive no subsidy. Less then 5% of the US population.

Getting back on topic, this is a measure directed toward the few people that aren’t getting help, or enough help, to afford health care insurance.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 09:19 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
On average, for the year 2020, the large group policy costs $21342, the employer share was $15754, the employee share was $5588. Unseen here is the tax subsidy, the single largest tax expenditure item in the US Govít budget.

Most of the costs of the ACA are not paid by taxpayers. Medicaid yes, VA yes, Employer provided, partly. Medicare, itís paid by govt only if you donít consider the years of contributions from payroll taxes.

Getting back on topic, this is a measure directed toward the few people that arenít getting help, or enough help, to afford health care insurance.
Thanks for pointing this out. I'm in the 5% mentioned. I have purchased my own private health insurance since 1985. I have never worked for an employer who offered health insurance. Currently I'm in the state exchange paying over $16,000 for a Bronze plan. I'm just a few thousand over the cliff, so I'm paying 100% of the premium with AFTER tax income. Over 16% of our MAGI. So, this legislation may not help a lot of people, but it does help some.

For those under an employer's plan, your contributions to the plan are with pre-tax dollars, and the employer's contribution isn't taxed at all. I think that's the point being made.
Stormy Kromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 09:43 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate View Post
I'm very open to alternative ways to dealing with the health care situation in this country. But I also don't think it's right that a family of 2 making $70,000 should have to pay $14,400 in health care premiums + the additional costs of deductibles $7600 + the additional costs of prescriptions. These numbers are from my county. And my county does not seem to be the most expensive (by far) for medical care in this country.

That is more than 20% of their income -- just for the premiums.

Solve the problem one way or another. It's a problem.
Thanks Paunchy: we are in that group. Wife and I, retired (not close to 65), income is about $80,000 per year. Our Bronze plan is over $16,000 per year. Deductible is $17,000
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 03:59 PM   #68

Thanks to this thread, I was inspired today to go through the sign up process on MNSure.org, which is the ACA exchange in Minnesota. It appears that the website is not ready to deal with the changes from the American Recovery Act. If any Minnesotans have found differently, please advise or PM me. I signed up for news alerts from the site.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 04:27 PM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The New York State of Health (New York's exchange) announced how it is handling the ACA's expanded subsidies.

https://info.nystateofhealth.ny.gov/AmericanRescuePlan

Here is its intro:

"The American Rescue Plan, which was signed into law on March 11, 2021, will lower health care costs by providing new and expanded financial assistance to New Yorkers enrolling in health insurance through NY State of Health. This enhanced assistance is available to current enrollees and new enrollees, including to higher-income individuals for the first time. Starting in early April, individuals with low and moderate incomes can access higher tax credits. Starting in June, NY State of Health will apply these higher tax credits to current enrollees without requiring any action by the enrollee. Also in June, higher-income New Yorkers can access the new tax credits."
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:23 PM   #70

Good to know. I was supposed to go to the Essential Plan but they locked everyone in Medicaid until the pandemic emergency is over.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:53 PM   #71

In my opinion way too much effort has been spent subsidizing health care and not enough effort spent addressing and reforming health care to make it more cost effective and affordable.
Montecfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:30 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
In my opinion way too much effort has been spent subsidizing health care and not enough effort spent addressing and reforming health care to make it more cost effective and affordable.
Thank You
I was beginning to wonder if I was the only person who felt that way.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:01 PM   #73

I hope the mods can keep this string open, so we can share perspectives on these new, potentially game-changing health insurance provisions for early retirees.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:02 AM   #74

To keep this helpful thread on track, let's stick with the matter at hand, which is the new changes and ways members can navigate them. Not opining on the basic principle of whether you agree with the ACA as a whole.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:01 AM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

healthcare.gov is up and running. Re-applied this morning. It worked and I received a subsidy.
Old 04-01-2021, 07:17 AM   #76

So it's still 9.78% as the "affordable" standard (employee-only premium) for employer-provided health care?
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:09 AM   #77

I just checked on healthcare.gov and our insurance costs will drop $80 a month. We live in Mi so trying to find out how our state will handle it.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:29 AM   #78

If you reapply, you quit your current policy and start a new one? So your deductible resets and you have only until December to get past it?

Sorry, I haven't paid much attention to this, so if that's a dumb question, please forgive me.

I'm in a location where the silver and bronze prices are such that I can go 399 FPL and have the PTC completely cover the bronze. I've made an uninformed guess that reapplication is not for me (one can't improve upon 'free'), but never like to assume anything; when it comes to laws, logic goes out the window.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:56 AM   #79

I am in NH and NH uses the Federal Exchange. I have not received an e-mail or been contacted by either the Exchange or my HI insurer Anthem BC/BS about any change to my subsidy, any need to reapply etc. I logged in this morning to see if my subsidy had increased for the new bill dated 4/1/21. It remains the same, no change to the amount. Oddly my payment history for 2021 is missing when it was there last month. Live chat with Anthem gets nowhere and I could not schedule a call back. Must be lots of questions from people today.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:13 AM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

I had to basically re-apply in order to qualify for the subsidy. I kept my same plan- as Sengsational mentioned, it is possible that your deductible could re-set (if you change plans).
My premium decreased $903/month :-)

Tags
aca. health insurance