Protein bars

Hey, a protein bar is a protein bar is a protein bar. And frankly, I have eaten beef jerky, hard boiled eggs, and baked oatmeal snacks, but I have almost never eaten a protein bar. I think I tried one 30 years ago or something and didn't like it.

But those Quest bars had amazing nutrition information, and Ready really likes them. So, maybe I will too. I ordered some from Amazon in the same flavor that Ready likes. They are coming on Wednesday with my other Prime Pantry non-perishables.

They aren't cheap but I can be like Robbie :greetings10: and start ordering expensive, delicious, out-of-the-ordinary foods online. :) Or, if I like them, maybe I can find a better price.

Baked oatmeal is very simple. I find it sticks with me better than plain oatmeal because of the added protein. Sometimes I bump up the protein with some plain whey powder. I usually make one of three variations, but the basic mixture of oatmeal, milk, and eggs is the same. I prefer a less sweet version.

Basic Baked Oatmeal
2 1/2 cups old-fashioned or quick oatmeal
1 1/4 cups milk
2 eggs
Pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda (makes it brown better, but it's optional)
1/2 - 1 cup applesauce or a mashed ripe banana

Mix all ingredients. Add additional sweetener to your taste. A tablespoons or two of Splenda Brown Sugar blend, flavored syrup (vanilla or caramel), or regular brown sugar. Add the ingredients for one of the following variations.

Carrot Cake variation
1 8-10 oz package pre-grated carrots, chopped into slightly shorter pieces
1 small can of crushed pineapple, drained
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Pumpkin variation
1/2 14 oz can of pumpkin
1/4-1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Cinnamon and ginger

Fruit variation
1 cup or so of Frozen or fresh peaches, blueberries, etc
A teaspoon or two of ginger or cinnamon
1/4-1/2 cup walnuts or pecans.

Mix all of the basic ingredients together, add fruit or vegetables, dump into a greased 8x8 or 9x9 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. Cool, cut into six pieces, refrigerate or freeze.

I like Pure Protein bars. I won't eat any bars that have soy as a source of protein.

Yes, not all proteins are the same (and I am not saying what is good or bad). And when they pack so much protein in a bar, they use protein concentrates.

I just look at the ingredient label on an Ensure-like drink my wife buys from Costco for her mother. It says "protein concentrate from milk and whey", and it sports 30 g in a serving. If one makes his own protein bar, I guess he can get the same concentrate and mix it in.

The next question that crosses my mind is if one does that, is it called "processed food"? Again, not that processed food is necessarily bad but some people are very particular.

Last edited:
...I've never had much use for "experts telling me to eat this and not that." The only time I avoided nuts was during my teens, when I had terrible acne. I observed that eating nuts, peanut butter, and chocolate all seemed to make my acne worse (can't say this would apply to anybody else's face, only mine), so I laid off them for a few years, and it did seem to help. Once I hit my 20's I (gratefully) went back to eating all those good things.
Spotted this just now. Yes, my wife had the same experience, but her problems lasted well into adulthood. It only stopped when she got to her 40s.

When she told her dermatologist about it, he or she did not believe it.

I ate peanut butter and jelly sandwich every day for lunch in my teen, but I never had any zits. I have more zits now and I still eat nuts. I know it's nuts to think about it.

I like Pure Protein's Chocolate Peanut Butter bar which has 20g of protein, 2g of sugar and 200 total calories. Can be had for less than $1 a bar in the 6 packs at Walmart. You'll find them in the aisle with the protein supplements.

I will also second the vote for Nature Valley's Peanut and Dark Chocolate high protein bars. These are found in the "granola bar" aisle, and have 10g of protein. They are my go to for travel as the Pure Protein brand bars don't travel well (they melt), whereas the Nature Valley bars are more robust.

I don't see anything wrong with a protein bar and a piece of fruit as a meal substitute, although it would not provide enough calories for me while I'm working. Interestingly, it's fine when I'm on vacation and trying to tied myself over until the museums close. Odd how sitting at a desk makes me hungrier than sight seeing.

I gave the Pure Protein Bar a try today. The choc peanut butter one. Not bad. I think I can make a meal with one along with an apple. Or for a late afternoon snack and a very light dinner. Time to get my girlish figure back with beach speedo season approaching.

I tried the new Quest breakfast bars recently. They come in three flavors - cinnamon crunch, waffle, and chocolate.

They only have 110 calories, and no added sugar. Protein is about half a full quest bar. What I do notice about them is they are much sweeter than a Quest bar. They taste more like candy than a protein snack. I find they are too sweet for me to eat during the day, but if I have a dessert craving at night they seem to satisfy it pretty well.

I gave the Pure Protein Bar a try today. The choc peanut butter one. Not bad. I think I can make a meal with one along with an apple. Or for a late afternoon snack and a very light dinner. Time to get my girlish figure back with beach speedo season approaching.

I don't know what I was thinking, but I enlarged the picture and then clicked on to the other pictures in the series.
BTW, orange does not work for you.

Last edited:
But those Quest bars had amazing nutrition information, and Ready really likes them. So, maybe I will too. I ordered some from Amazon in the same flavor that Ready likes. They are coming on Wednesday with my other Prime Pantry non-perishables.
These bars are amazingly good. What a nice treat. I really like them a lot. They are very satisfying, too. They are very expensive on Amazon (IMO), so I guess my next step is to look around for a better price on them.

These bars are amazingly good. What a nice treat. I really like them a lot. They are very satisfying, too. They are very expensive on Amazon (IMO), so I guess my next step is to look around for a better price on them.

Whew! Glad you liked them. I'd hate to have you stuck with a box of bars you don't like. As for price, I've never had much luck finding them for less than about $2.00 per bar. Amazon is generally 24.99 /dozen, maybe a dollar less on the subscribe and save plan.

Whew! Glad you liked them. I'd hate to have you stuck with a box of bars you don't like. As for price, I've never had much luck finding them for less than about $2.00 per bar. Amazon is generally 24.99 /dozen, maybe a dollar less on the subscribe and save plan.

Thanks! I think that is what I paid, so probably I'll just stick with Amazon when I buy them in the future, then.

I don't know what I was thinking, but I enlarged the picture and then clicked on to the other pictures in the series.
BTW, orange does not work for you.

Other pictures? There's more?

Oh redduck, I did not know you have such an insatiable appetite for self-punishment.

Happily there are two more pictures. If you are interested, you can enlarge the first picture, then to the very right of that photo there will be something that looks like an arrow, click the arrow and with a little luck, you will see a second picture. Then if you so desire, repeat the process and get the third photo. By the third photo, my appetite for self-punishment had been completely quenched.

I eat the quest bars pretty often when traveling and when I'm going to be out and about during lunch time. They fill me up pretty well. We've gotten into the habit of always taking an ice chest with a few bottles of water and maybe a soda for DW whenever we leave the house. We found that we were stopping here or there for fountain drinks all too often...we can afford them if we want them, but why spend extra on drinks when you can bring them along?

Back
Top Bottom