Where Do You Get Your Fiber?

I'm in the "fiber is non-essential" camp. If some of it falls into my mouth I won't spit it out but I certainly don't seek it out. It's just present in some yummy things like dark chocolate.

High fiber things are often high sugar/carb things so I tend to be very low fiber. I cut off all cereal years ago for example due to the high carb/sugar hit.

GI function improved without fiber.

Oh-oh. I'm on the 5 day a week breakfast of Fiber One cereal. Actually I mix Fiber One Honey 1:1 with Cinnamon Toast Crunch. I strongly suggest that no one else try this combo as it's extremely addictive.

I'll be having my yearly physical next month and will be interested in seeing what my cholesterol numbers are at.
It’s your triglycerides that might get pushed high by daily servings of breakfast cereal, especially sweetened cereal.

I was eating the original fiber one and it was about 10 years ago. I don’t know if that’s sweetened or not. My cholesterol was up 40 pts so I quit eating it and it went back down. My doctor said that was probably the culprit when I told her what I was doing.

I was eating the original fiber one and it was about 10 years ago. I don’t know if that’s sweetened or not. My cholesterol was up 40 pts so I quit eating it and it went back down. My doctor said that was probably the culprit when I told her what I was doing.

I guess we are all different--my cholesterol actually went down about 30 points when I started the original fiber one. And it really helped some gut problems I was having. Fiber One was recommended by my doctor.

"IP"?

Hmmm, I doubt it's Internet Protocol, or Intellectual Property... help me out here, pacergal, what is your "IP"? :confused:

Insta Pot

Electric pressure cooker.

I've been on a vegan diet for 10 years. I went vegetarian in 1976 then switched to pescatarian in 1983. I tend to grow polyps in my colon, so I am on the three-year colonoscopy plan.

They always hand me the list of things to improve my colon health. When I hand it back and tell the doctor I haven't eaten red meat since 1976 and I eat mostly fruit and vegetables they back down and say they really don't know how diet comes into play with colon polyps.

I'm on the 5-year plan and also eat a diet very high in all the stuff on the list and almost no meat. Sometimes it's just a crapshoot.

The irony is that most colonoscopy preps warn you to avoid nuts, seeds, etc. for a few days before. I have to cut out some of the best parts of my meals live on mushy stuff with no texture!

I make my own granola. It's pretty good and I can control the amount of added sugar. I use about 1/2 cup of honey to make about two dozen 1/2 cup servings. I also add about 30% more nuts and seeds. There is no pulverized flour of any type in it. Since I am lower-carb, I eat it only 1/2 cup a day. Well.... sometimes I cheat and eat 3/4 of a cup.

It seems to work for me. YMMV.

If after all these choices you are still short of your fiber intake goal, there is always natural psyllium fiber which gives you about 3g per teaspoon. Don't take more than three teaspoons per day and drink lots of water with it.

+1

Psyllium fiber powder has been, by far, the most life-changing supplement I have ever encountered. I take two rounded teaspoons per day, mixed into water, just before or after meals. Prior to adopting this daily regimen, I had a long-standing problem with irritable bowel syndrome. Psyllium supplementation has almost completely cured me of that.

To get even more fiber, I sprinkle chia seeds into things like pasta sauces, smoothies, oatmeal, grits, and yogurt. It's very fiber-dense has an excellent nutritional profile (considered to be a "superfood"). I may not get all the way to 25-30g every single day, but I think I'm getting pretty healthy amounts between the chia, psyllium, and other fruits and veg I eat on a regular basis.

I wish I could eat chia seeds, they are are great source of fiber. But when I tried them I broke out in hives, another thing to add to my list of many food allergies.

Drink mix, apples, nuts, fruits & veg, etc.

The usual suspects for me are Benefiber (Kroger brand) drink mix 1 or 2X a day, bran cereals, oatmeal, all-grain breads, typical fruits & veggies, nuts. Doesn't really take a lot but it does require thinking about your meals (breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner). Staying away from empty / low-fiber meals/calories takes some planning. Both at home and out and about in restaurants, etc.
I also use magnesium oxide supplements (250 mg) a day or so as they help with moving things along. ;) OTC in the vitamin aisle at Krogers is a lot cheaper than getting the Phillips tablets.

I will usually have something (eggs or beans and veggies) in an xtreme wellness wrap every day. They have 11 grams of fiber and taste good.

I don't eat junk food to get fiber. I do eat some sweets, but try to eat protein and veggies for dinner, and yogurt and a protein smoothie with fruit for lunch.

If you are resorting to processed foods to get the right amount of fiber, you are doing it wrong.

Stop eating packaged and processed foods people. That’s way more important than whether you got 23 grams or 40 grams of fiber.

I supplement with ground flax seed, chia and some Quest or Kirkland brand protein bars here and there. 👌

I actually LIKE and frequently eat salads, and whole grain bread or muffins, and oatmeal. So, I guess if I get any fiber most of it is from this sort of thing, although no matter what I eat I have to set limits or I'll gain weight.

I don't pay as much attention to fiber as I probably should, unless I am having, er.., digestive difficulties. :blush:

50% Flax Seed and 50% Psyllium fiber with Milk, 1 flat Table Spoon of each every other day.

I take Psyllium powder - but can only tolerate it in capsule form. It's kinda expensive but so much better than spreading the powder over or in something else (my personal thing, only.) YMMV

I supplement with ground flax seed, chia and some Quest or Kirkland brand protein bars here and there. 👌

Oh, I forgot - I also like to eat 3-4 sticks of celery every day for extra roughage. That, plus drinking plenty of water keeps things moving along nicely. I had some polyps found during a colonoscopy a few years ago (That turned out to not be a problem), and that's what my Doc recommended.

If you are resorting to processed foods to get the right amount of fiber, you are doing it wrong.

Stop eating packaged and processed foods people. That’s way more important than whether you got 23 grams or 40 grams of fiber.
Yeah, pretty much.

Ghaaacckk! I just polished of an individual pack of Lorna Dunes! I'm a goner.:facepalm: I'll have to double my psyllium caps tonight.:(

Ghaaacckk! I just polished of an individual pack of Lorna Dunes! I'm a goner.:facepalm: I'll have to double my psyllium caps tonight.:(

You mean you don't dip the Lorna Dunes in low fat Greek yogurt and sprinkle on chia seeds before eating them? :facepalm:

You mean you don't dip the Lorna Dunes in low fat Greek yogurt and sprinkle on chia seeds before eating them? :facepalm:

No, but I washed them down with premier flavored sparkling water (AKA Diet Pepsi.):LOL:

Back
Top Bottom