Report: Six Months of Low Carbs

Believe me, I do love the taste of bacon, but after reading the results of a recent study about processed meats ( Processed Meats Increase Heart Disease, Diabetes and Cancer Risk - Technorati Lifestyle, I decided to give it up, along with other processed meats.

Yeah, well. I can read, too. I'll see your bet:

Eat bacon, it's good for you and America!

In related news, bacon is good for you!

Bon Apetit has included it in their list of "10 Surprising Health Foods."

According to a new book out called Fat by Jennifer McLagan, bacon's fat is a lot like that of olive oil: "45 percent of the fat in bacon is monounsaturated, the good-for-you fat that can help lower bad cholesterol levels. Better still, bacon's monounsaturated fat turns out to be oleic acid, the same fat found in olive oil. So that means that some could argue that bacon is about half as good for you as olive oil and about 100 times more delicious."

and raise with:

Not Only Is Bacon Healthy, It Saves Lives.

This whole time, we (and I’m speaking for the medical community here) thought nitrites – well, nitrates – were toxic. Ultimately, they may prove to be carcinogenic, but at least they are good for your heart. Cancer, cardiovascular concerns: you have to make a choice. I suggest emailing this to your doctor. Although, this is likely to be redundant because I’m fairly certain he already subscribes to Healthbolt for all his health and wellness information.

Let me Google that for you:
bacon +"good for you" - Google Search

I have been back on a low-carb diet for three months now; reached a milestone in my weight-loss goal this AM (no, I'm not going to share it- yet...:D)

It has been easier this time around, there are a lot more low-carb foods available now that actually taste good. When I did this diet about ten years ago, I lost weight but constantly craved pasta, potatoes, etc. I've found that Dixie Diner Mashers and Dreamfields Pasta have kept that from happening this time around, so I'm still on the wagon.

Bacon is definitely low-carb, and it appears, good for you, too!(whodathunkit?- but I read it on the internet so it must be true...)

WS

YUM! BACON!! :D

I have been low carbing it for 2 years & love it. Lost 35 lbs & kept them off. I am rarely hungry or thinking of food. Primarily eat meat, eggs, nuts, cheese, cream & green vegies. I seem to have lost interest in the food & just snack as needed, don't miss carbs at all. ;)

I have been low carbing for four months . I've lost 14 pounds total . First seven were just by adding the gym second seven were low carb . The first few weeks I really craved carbs but rarely now . I do occasionally eat carbs but nothing like I was . I have so much more energy and just generally feel better .

I eat bacon almost every morning, and I view it as healthy, but it's still difficult to see it that way. We buy the Safeway (Supermarket brand) low sodium version, which also has no sugar in it.

Here's a more direct link to the study:

http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/CIRCULATIONAHA.109.924977v1

Note that the conclusion of the article that references that study is absolutely unwarranted. That is, there was an association shown between processed meat consumption and disease, with no causality demonstrated. It could be that people with unhealthy lifestyles tend to consume more processed meat. It could be that people who eat more hot dogs, eat more hot dog buns. The lifestyles or the buns could be the cause off the diseases.

Here's an even better before and after comparison.

Attachments

• Carey.jpg
    Carey.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 6
Here's an even better before and after comparison.
Looks like Drew's not even half the comedian he used to be...

Of course his occupation has had a number of high-profile deaths to help supply the survivors with motivation.

I attended a luncheon yesterday and the speaker was Dr Duane Graveline, a former astronaut and researcher as well as family Dr. The primary focus of his discussion was his research into the dangers of statin drug use and the disconnect between research showing high cholesterol is not the problem the Drug companies want us to believe it is.

Anyway to bring my comments back on topic with this thread, he also mentioned diet and weight control. Perhaps the first publication on low carb diets is Banting's letter on Copulence found here: http://ia311238.us.archive.org/3/items/letteroncorpulen00bant/letteroncorpulen00bant.pdf

Also, a website where I found more information on health issues Dr Graveline's has written about (perhaps a contender for Nord's list of Worst Website Design" is found here: Spacedoc.net

I'm still doing due diligence, but I'm leaning towards adopting a low carb lifestyle. Perhaps the key to healthy eating was so easy a cave man actually did do it.

Anyway to bring my comments back on topic with this thread, he also mentioned diet and weight control. Perhaps the first publication on low carb diets is Banting's letter on Copulence found here: http://ia311238.us.archive.org/3/items/letteroncorpulen00bant/letteroncorpulen00bant.pdf

Think that highlighted word has some different meaning:whistle:, Corpulence deals with large bodies unless I'm in error..

Just joshing. With all my mis-spellings it is fun to note them.

Will read the reference, thanks for the link.

Last edited:
Banting's letter is so interesting in many ways apart from laying out the low-carb basics so many years ago:

1. He writes so well. I thought maybe he was a writer by profession, but he was an undertaker. I've noticed this in other texts from that time. Did everyone write that well back then?

2. Just like today, he was worried about liability, although perhaps not in the legal sense. He advised people to consult their own physician.

3. As today, he was concerned that people would think that he published this information to profit in some way. That's why he published it free.

4. He was just like people today who have blogs to pass on information just because they think it's important and want to share it.

Finally, note that in Swedish, the word "to diet" is "att banta."

I skimmed through all the posts. Lots of talk about eating meat, but I don't believe I read anything about eating fish.

A few servings of fish (like salmon) instead of meat can't hurt.

This rings true for me- but what do you think of the dude who losa lot and weight and improved his metabolic blood markers eating only potatoes?

Ha

I think the main culprits are refined sugar and refined grains. I wouldn't recommend an all-Twinkie or all-potato diet... :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom