Rotator cuff injury/repair?

My last orthopedist said people over 40 should not be doing such exercises.

I read this and now I have a better idea of what "such exercises" are. "...quit body-weight exercises - push-ups, pull-ups, dips - after age 40...Once you reach age 40, you should never work to failure. You should strive instead for perfect form."

I think my body weight and strength works well for pushups in my case, but "A push-up is a complex movement for the shoulder joint," Fenlin says. "It involves multiple muscle groups simultaneously. The shoulder is in an awkward position" so I guess I should stop.

Was not doing anything near working out to muscle failure.

Just lifting above the shoulder with some resistance.

In any event, has anyone had more than one set of cortisone shots to the same shoulder?

I read this and now I have a better idea of what "such exercises" are. "...quit body-weight exercises - push-ups, pull-ups, dips - after age 40...Once you reach age 40, you should never work to failure. You should strive instead for perfect form."

I think my body weight and strength works well for pushups in my case, but "A push-up is a complex movement for the shoulder joint," Fenlin says. "It involves multiple muscle groups simultaneously. The shoulder is in an awkward position" so I guess I should stop.
That just blows up everything I thought was good. What do you do now?

I tore mine several years ago. It was painful for several days, but the pain gradually went away. It wasn't severe enough for surgery. The doc gave me some exercises to do. He said that my shoulder has moved forward because of the injury and that I should avoid doing bench presses. Exercises have helped a lot. I hardly notice any shoulder problems now.

Pacer gal - Like others have said, I would consider getting a different PT.

I thought I had this problem for 10 years, I slowly combined PT, acupuncture, and weekly massage. On top of that I stretch daily 2-3 times, the minute I wake up, I stretch. I have great range now, but the soreness is still there. I can feel it when I stretch my shoulders.

I had a rotator cuff tear, probably from skiing and martial arts injuries years ago. The injuries hurt like crazy, but got better so I never went to a doctor back then.

Over the years I continued doing shoulder-intensive activities, weight lifting, windsurfing, archery, with no pain at all. Last year I thought I'd get my right shoulder checked because I noticed some grinding that wasn't present in the left shoulder. No pain at all, just the grinding. Figured it was just a bone spur that could be removed. There were spurs alright, plus the RC tear and significant damage to the cartilage, large patches of Type 3 osteoarthritis.

Left shoulder joint also had a spur plus a frayed bicep tendon. No pain in that shoulder either. Apparently, I had impingement issues. Wish I'd known sooner, I might have adjusted my activities to curb the damage.

Had the surgeries last year. Got all the range of motion back in both shoulders, and then some. Left shoulder is great, as before, but the right shoulder has some new grinding and the occasional twinge. The surgeon said that's to be expected with the arthritis there. Doesn't really bother me though, I can do all my activities and also sleep on that side with no problem.

One thing I know, I won't be doing resistance exercises every day. I'm treating even one set of push-ups as weight training and I skip two or three days between workouts. There's a little pain doing the stretching I'm supposed to do but none with push-ups. Maybe the 2-3 days rest restores whatever cartilage damage the push-ups cause. Also, after a certain amount healing some people recommend push-ups without mentioning age and I got the injury almost a year ago.

Was not doing anything near working out to muscle failure.

Just lifting above the shoulder with some resistance.

In any event, has anyone had more than one set of cortisone shots to the same shoulder?

Yes, prior to my past surgeries, I had 2 shots in each shoulder. Ortho doc would not do them too often, especially if surgery was warranted. Said it actually would cause more problems over time.

Yes, prior to my past surgeries, I had 2 shots in each shoulder. Ortho doc would not do them too often, especially if surgery was warranted. Said it actually would cause more problems over time.

That's what my orthopedists said, that it would weaken ligaments or tendons to do repeated injections.

But I'm not talking about multiple injections within weeks of each other.

How about injections several years apart?

That's what my orthopedists said, that it would weaken ligaments or tendons to do repeated injections.

But I'm not talking about multiple injections within weeks of each other.

How about injections several years apart?
I think I had 3 cortisone / steroid shots over about a year and a half. My left shoulder is significantly hairer than my right. [emoji15] I tried PT to avoid surgery, it helped, but shortly after stopping PT the pain was back. Ended up having the surgery. I'd say I'm probably 90%, some days if I over do it I'll have some dull aching. Pre surgery something as simple as picking up a file folder could send me to my knees, if I was off center or had my arm extended.

UPDATE:

Back from Ortho Doc today--MRI A-OK! Was a little worried because they called me to come in sooner than my scheduled appt--doc said he was leaving on vacation:LOL:
Feeling somewhat better, stopped going in for formal PT and keeping up with PT exercises at home, went a bought the hand weights also. Know I will be doing them for a long while.

I decided against cortisone injection today, able to sleep with out pain, and most movement less painful. Doc will get me in same day if and when I choose to get one.
Thanks for everyones information sharing and care. Love this forum!:)

Good for you! My doc told me I need to do the two resistance band exercises he prescribed forever. But I only had one cortisone injection and nothing else so I feel lucky there are 2 simple exercises that will control my pain, hopefully for life.

Yesterday I too decided against a cortisone shot. I asked if it accelerated healing and the doc said no, it just helps with pain and swelling. I was afraid it the pain went completely away I might overdue it with my shoulder since I am very active.
Be careful with weights. Start very slowly, just a few reps the first day and see how you feel the next day. I have about a 10 hour delay before the pain kicks in like a fire hose.

I've had upper arm and shoulder pain for a month or so. I've lost some range of motion and it's painful to put my arm behind my back. However, ice has significantly improved things and so I'll continue that for a couple of weeks and go to the doctor if it doesn't resolve itself.

I've had upper arm and shoulder pain for a month or so. I've lost some range of motion and it's painful to put my arm behind my back. However, ice has significantly improved things and so I'll continue that for a couple of weeks and go to the doctor if it doesn't resolve itself.

Do you know for sure that it's rotator cuff? I've had a frozen shoulder twice. It didn't hurt all the time (for me) just when I reach/move a certain way. Then it's like an electric shock goes through my arm. First treatment was at my doctor's physical therapy office and going once a week, it took almost 6 months (don't remember exactly but pretty sure of the time). The second time I went to my chiropractor and it was a matter of 5 or 6 weeks. Chiropractor used all hands-on massage, stretches and manipulation. Physical therapist used ultrasound, a water bed that had some type of massaging jets and some machine that kept moving your arm in an arch to stretch. Chiropractor thinks his treatment was faster because it is hands-on. Hope yours heals fast.

About a year and a half ago it got to where I could barely get thru a workout (weightlifting) and couldn't sleep thru the night due to shoulder pain. MRI indicated a thick tear in my rotator cuff. Doc gave me a cortisone shot and wanted to schedule surgery.

I decided to hold off on surgery, let my shoulder rest for six months and then resumed weightlifting four days a week but added some exercises specific to rotator cuff rehab. Those muscles are so small that it only takes a surprisingly low amount of weight/resistance to work them properly.

Followed many movements outlined in the book "Treat Your Own Rotator Cuff"

It's been almost a year now and not only is the pain completely gone but I've also been able to make significant progress in the amount of weight I'm lifting. A typical chest/shoulder routine now involves:

Barbell bench press
Dumb bell chest press
Incline bench press
Incline dumb bell press
Cable flyes
Lateral raises
Upright rows

I had eliminated push ups and weighted dips from my workouts which helped immensely due to the particular angle of stress those movements put on the shoulder girdle.

I'm really glad I opted not to have the surgery.

I'm glad it worked out for you. My husband also tore his rotator cuff and elected to have the surgery. He had it in the morning and was back to his normal routine that night, except for weight lifting and the limitations they put on your movement. After six weeks he was back to weight lifting, and slowly built back up and was at full workout after two months. He would not have been able to stand six months worth of being out of the gym.
He wasn't a good patient either, went to two sessions of physical therapy, quit, and did some on his own.

Everyone has to decide for themselves which is the best option.

Do you know for sure that it's rotator cuff? I've had a frozen shoulder twice. It didn't hurt all the time (for me) just when I reach/move a certain way. Then it's like an electric shock goes through my arm. First treatment was at my doctor's physical therapy office and going once a week, it took almost 6 months (don't remember exactly but pretty sure of the time). The second time I went to my chiropractor and it was a matter of 5 or 6 weeks. Chiropractor used all hands-on massage, stretches and manipulation. Physical therapist used ultrasound, a water bed that had some type of massaging jets and some machine that kept moving your arm in an arch to stretch. Chiropractor thinks his treatment was faster because it is hands-on. Hope yours heals fast.

Thanks,
My arm/shoulder is feeling a little better. Almost no discomfort at night now and I only have pain when I reach around my back and try to lift my arm towards the small of my back, but it's not nearly as bad as it was a month ago. I'm going to continue ice and rest and will slowly try to get back my range of motion with exercise.

The exercise buffs can correct me if I'm wrong. But isn't one of the benefits of weight machines that you are less likely to do things in a way that will injure you?

The exercise buffs can correct me if I'm wrong. But isn't one of the benefits of weight machines that you are less likely to do things in a way that will injure you?

In general thats a reasonable statement (especially for Free Motion equipment), although some machines also do not allow for correct form either (e.g. smith machine for squats).

I'm glad it worked out for you. My husband also tore his rotator cuff and elected to have the surgery. He had it in the morning and was back to his normal routine that night, except for weight lifting and the limitations they put on your movement. After six weeks he was back to weight lifting, and slowly built back up and was at full workout after two months. He would not have been able to stand six months worth of being out of the gym.
He wasn't a good patient either, went to two sessions of physical therapy, quit, and did some on his own.

Everyone has to decide for themselves which is the best option.

I would caution anyone that is not an athlete or is over 40 that this is not the typical recovery period. Do not get super hero and re-tear the rotator cuff. Scar tissue tears much easier than tendon tissue. It was 11 months before I could lift medium weights with no pain.
Google rotator cuff re-torn.

I would caution anyone that is not an athlete or is over 40 that this is not the typical recovery period. Do not get super hero and re-tear the rotator cuff. Scar tissue tears much easier than tendon tissue. It was 11 months before I could lift medium weights with no pain.
Google rotator cuff re-torn.

Yeah. There is NO WAY I was able to be normal the same night. I was in incredible pain with both of my surgeries. Nobody I know that has had rotator cuff surgery has said they were back to normal the same day. It took me weeks.

Yeah. There is NO WAY I was able to be normal the same night. I was in incredible pain with both of my surgeries. Nobody I know that has had rotator cuff surgery has said they were back to normal the same day. It took me weeks.

Weeks, yes. I was in a sling 24/7 for 10 days, then no lifting more than a coffee cup for weeks after that. With therapy, it was four months or so before my shoulder starting feeling normal again. I could have done more sooner, but no way was I going to risk damaging the repair.

Recent studies on tendon repair suggest that keeping the joint immobile for longer than has been typical may be the way to go:

https://www.hss.edu/newsroom_changes-rotator-cuff-surgery-rehabilitation.asp

"Before we did this study, we thought that delaying motion for a short period of time, seven to ten days, and then starting physical therapy would be the most beneficial to tendon healing. However, from the data in this study, it appears we should be immobilizing our patients for longer periods of time,” said Scott Rodeo, M.D., principal investigator of the study and co-chief of the Sports Medicine and Shoulder Service at Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS) in New York City."

Remember that first time you used the pulley thing to raise your arm above your head after the surgery? :eek: Good times...

DH had rotator tear surgery almost 3 years ago. He had injured the shoulder many years before and hadn't wanted surgery but it kept getting worse. He had an MRI and found that he also had developed a small bicep tear.

Anyway, the surgery was a great success. Yes, there was a lot of physical therapy afterwards (the first few days in home). And, I had to drive him everywhere. But, he is really glad now that he had the surgery.

I recently reached the one year mark since I diagnosed myself with a torn rotator cuff. My range of motion is OK but I can't reach straight up unless, maybe if I stretch for a bit and then force it. But the normal range of motion for an arm is actually a little backwards which there's no way I could do with that arm.

When I bend at the waist, like when you touch your toes, I can barely raise my left arm out sideways to make it perpendicular to my body, and it's painful when I do. I don't think surgery for me would be worth it. I'm hoping it will still get better.

Back
Top Bottom