Shingles blisters/spread timing?

Telly

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
For those of you who have had the Shingles, about what amount of time do you remember from the actual blisters first appearing (not just redness), to where the spreading stopped, no new areas/blisters appearing?
Days, a week, weeks?

I had the Zostavax shot years ago. Availability of the Shingrx shot has still been iffy by me, could not expect to reasonably acquire both doses in interval required, then stopped looking when Covid-19 started up. Don't know if Pharmacists are back to giving any shots yet.

But at this point, Shingrx is in my future, Shingles is in my present :(. I suspect that Zostavax is still helping out, somewhat. The blister spreading is slow moving, but wondering when the spreading will stop!

I'm not sure there is any typical time for the rash/blisters to spread. In my case, I first noticed blisters on the side of my nose on Tuesday? and they slowly spread around my eye to my ear by Saturday.

Have you seed a doc to get a prescription for an anti-viral med? Sooner is better.

I agree I don’t think there is a typical case. Everyone is unique. Hopefully the zostavax is helping mitigate it but the longer you are out from it the less it helps. My mom had several episodes of shingles 6 years after zostavax. She was prescribed an antiviral for the first run immediately ( on her face near her eye ver dangerous). They were already subsiding after 24 hours. As noted above get it as soon as you can for it to work. Good luck

For those of you who have had the Shingles, about what amount of time do you remember from the actual blisters first appearing (not just redness), to where the spreading stopped, no new areas/blisters appearing?
Days, a week, weeks?

I had the Zostavax shot years ago. Availability of the Shingrx shot has still been iffy by me, could not expect to reasonably acquire both doses in interval required, then stopped looking when Covid-19 started up. Don't know if Pharmacists are back to giving any shots yet.

But at this point, Shingrx is in my future, Shingles is in my present :(. I suspect that Zostavax is still helping out, somewhat. The blister spreading is slow moving, but wondering when the spreading will stop!

I will echo what the others said about getting the antiviral ASAP, I waited too long to get the antiviral (did not know what I had) and then I had a terrible case of Shingles around my waist. I had back pain at 1st and then after several days broke out. I hope yours are not as bad as mine--my rash lasted about 6 weeks. I also ran a temperature for a couple of weeks. It got in my stomach and I had stomach pain too. I had to take gabepentin for the pain. After the blisters went away I still had the pain--acupuncture helped. I had Shingles 2 more times later (you can get Shingles over and over). 15 years later I still have some pain. I have now taken the 2 Shingrix shots and since then I have not had another episode of Singles. Not sure how long after the rash goes away you can get the Shingrix vaccine but you should get it as soon as the doctor says it is OK to do so.

As I recall, 7-14 days.

I also got the meds. Diagnosis was a funny.... I walk into the walk-in clinic and had to pay $150 just to be seen. I go in and a nurse takes my BP, temp, etc. Then the doc walks in, looks at my neck and says "Yup, that's shingles" and writes me a prescription.

Mine was much more benign than harlee... just like a minor sunburn on part of my neck and outer ear for a couple weeks.

I'm not sure there is any typical time for the rash/blisters to spread. In my case, I first noticed blisters on the side of my nose on Tuesday? and they slowly spread around my eye to my ear by Saturday.

Have you seed a doc to get a prescription for an anti-viral med? Sooner is better.
Oh man. Even your simple description gives me the willies!! I got the vaccine before the recommended age and will undoubtedly be getting a booster regardless of the recommendations.

Good advice, get on acyclovir or the like ASAP if possible.

Don’t you feel some tingling on the skin before blisters rash appear since it’s the nerve endings being attacked?

Don’t you feel some tingling on the skin before blisters rash appear since it’s the nerve endings being attacked?
Many people do report burning/itching/pain/irritation prior to redness developing but in most people (unless they have a chronic illness) only a single or widely spaced outbreaks occur so they usually discount the sensations. Varicella zoster virus (which causes chicken pox and shingles) is a Herpes virus and people who suffer with recurrent Herpes simplex virus (HSV) outbreaks are often able to abort blistering episodes by taking acyclovir (or equivalent) when they recognize the prodrome. Many of these outbreaks are brought on by stress so some people take acyclovir when they are exposed to a triggering stress in order to avoid activation of the virus. Interestingly, the nerve endings are not being attacked from the outside so much as activated from the inside when the virus (which has been dormant in the nerves cells) decides it is time to reproduce.

I really did not feel tingling--before the blisters I had terrible back pain deep in the muscle, like I had pulled a muscle or something. I went to the doctor and they could find nothing wrong. This went one for several days. Once the blisters started the terrible back pain went away but the blisters felt like I had been burnt. I went back to the doctor and he said so that is what was wrong with you! I went on the antiviral as soon as I got the blisters but the doctor said that was probably too late because i had the back pain so long. Singles is a very strange and awful disease. And you can get it over and over. I am so glad there is a good vaccine

Was really planning to get the Shingrix some time this year before the pandemic hit.

Damn you coronavirus!

Not just for Shingrix but all the disruptions to travel plans and life.

Days, a week, weeks?

WebMD, Mayo Clinic, and others have good descriptions. Funny, none say how long the rash lasts. Shingles lasts about 2-3weeks, generally. The rash will only spread at most to include the entire dermatome on one side of the body-a strip of an area on the body or the face. It is painful, not usually particularly itchy. Most of the spread is just for a few days. If it has been less than 72 hours, call your doctor and get an Rx for one of the three antiviral medicines that are effective against herpes zoster. It reduces the size and pain of the rash, and helps resolve the rash faster. It may reduce the rare complication of post-herpetic neuralgia (pain at the site after the rash resolves). If the rash involves the upper face, contact your doctor, as there is a risk of it involving the cornea, which can cause scarring.

I had shingles for 55th birthday. My husband had them as well, about 2 years before. It's very annoying.

I did. Also some pain. Then red patches on my skin. Off to urgent care, antiviral prescribed. Symptoms faded away over the following few days, much to my relief!

I did have the zostavax vaccine some years previously, which may have helped.

Was really planning to get the Shingrix some time this year before the pandemic hit.

Damn you coronavirus!

Not just for Shingrix but all the disruptions to travel plans and life.

Why can't you get the Shingrix vaccine now? I think most pharmacies in my area have it. I am being very careful with covid but I think getting the Shingrix vaccine would be one thing I would risk going to the pharmacy for.

Oh I am so sorry--I still have some pain 15 years after I got Shingles but at least it was not in my eye

I really didn't have much 'pain'...a little/some discomfort...but I'm concerned about my long term vision (as much as 'long term' can apply to an almost 78 year old).

Pain: A since deceased ex-Saudi friend had what his doctor said was the worst case he'd ever seen, was in a great deal of pain...and he was not a complainer.

Luck of the draw.

Why can't you get the Shingrix vaccine now? I think most pharmacies in my area have it. I am being very careful with covid but I think getting the Shingrix vaccine would be one thing I would risk going to the pharmacy for.

I guess mostly about minimizing being near strangers.

No haircuts, no dental appointments either.

WebMD, Mayo Clinic, and others have good descriptions. Funny, none say how long the rash lasts. Shingles lasts about 2-3weeks, generally. The rash will only spread at most to include the entire dermatome on one side of the body-a strip of an area on the body or the face. It is painful, not usually particularly itchy. Most of the spread is just for a few days. If it has been less than 72 hours, call your doctor and get an Rx for one of the three antiviral medicines that are effective against herpes zoster. It reduces the size and pain of the rash, and helps resolve the rash faster. It may reduce the rare complication of post-herpetic neuralgia (pain at the site after the rash resolves). If the rash involves the upper face, contact your doctor, as there is a risk of it involving the cornea, which can cause scarring.

I had shingles for 55th birthday. My husband had them as well, about 2 years before. It's very annoying.

I did. Also some pain. Then red patches on my skin. Off to urgent care, antiviral prescribed. Symptoms faded away over the following few days, much to my relief!

I did have the zostavax vaccine some years previously, which may have helped.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/shingles-83633.html

Over 3 1/2 years ago......still have, and will likely always have, shingles on the cornea of the left eye.......still taking drops...scheduled to see the eye surgeon again in three weeks.

OK is it just "annoying" that can be cleared up with these antiviral creams or is it more serious?

OK is it just "annoying" that can be cleared up with these antiviral creams or is it more serious?

For me 'holding' (i.e. not worsening) with prednisolone drops is probably the best I can hope for.

I guess you did not read my horrible experience with Singles I detailed above (had it 3 times before I got the Shingrix vaccine, the old vaccine did not help). Terrible pain, felt like I had been burnt. I still have some pain 15 years later...

Some people go blind, some lose their hearing, some even die, some commit suicide because of the pain.

It is definitely not just an annoyance for many people.

Not many people who experience shingles would describe it as only 'annoying'. I think EastWest Gal was being a bit tongue in cheek though she did say 'very annoying'. It is usually very painful in adults and can cause blindness if it affects the eye. Also some people are troubled by significant pain for quite a long time afterwards. Antiviral creams are not really effective. Oral medication at least.

I guess mostly about minimizing being near strangers.

No haircuts, no dental appointments either.

It’s much munch quicker than the above. <15 sec shot. A few minutes with the pharmacist wearing PPE I would hope.

Not many people who experience shingles would describe it as only 'annoying'. I think EastWest Gal was being a bit tongue in cheek though she did say 'very annoying'. It is usually very painful in adults and can cause blindness if it affects the eye. Also some people are troubled by significant pain for quite a long time afterwards. Antiviral creams are not really effective. Oral medication at least.

6 months of severe pain experienced by one friend who didn’t catch it early.

Mine was over about 3 weeks. That was in my 40s. Very painful. My wife had it more recently, caught it early, and had a terrible experience. She missed I think a month of work and still felt effects 6-12 months later.

OP here, I am way way beyond the 72 hours! It has been slow moving. At first I thought the first appearance was a pimple, a couple days later, I thought it was a rather odd Chigger bite, as we have started that season and the little beasts are hungry, then later thought it might be poison ivy, and eventually became clear-cut enough to become obviously the Shingles!
The initial site on my upper chest has not blistered but is colored. What became the main site on forearm has blistered, a few big blisters, biggest 3/8" diameter by 1/8" high, some small ones, looks pretty ugly but covers not much over 1 square inch. And a bump or blister here and there elsewhere.
Nothing on head or neck. No headache, pain, or fever ever. Only feeling-type symptoms are itchyness that comes and goes, had a bit of the tingles on that arm/wrist for less than a day and not continuous. Hypersensitivity I had and have off and on on that arm. The hypersensitivity was even the slightest air movement setting off a weird feeling. Had trouble sleeping, as exhaling through my nose was blowing across my arm a foot away, felt like a hurricane! And in walking, air movement was almost as bad. The hyper sensitivity was extended well above and below the main site. Solved that problem by putting on a sock sleeve that is not tight. Once I got used to the something-on feeling, hyper sensitivity stopped being a problem. Ugly to lift up and peer underneath at, however!

Gross for a moment - but I'm sure somebody wants to know... I am reactive to Chigger bites and Fire Ant bites, and opening blisters from those eases itching and greatly speeds up healing for me, always use 70% isopropyl alcohol before and after. Didn't work with Shingles big blisters, they re-filled in minutes. Seems the puffed-out skin is restraining the fluid, it's under a slight pressure, that pressure balances the pressure inside the skin. Release the external blister pressure, the pressure balance is lost, the skin quickly exudes more, till it balances. Osmotic pressure comes to mind, but is probably wrong. The pin hole seals up with I forgot what they're called, leukocytes? Anyway, it was experimental, didn't help, so not doing it anymore.

Antiviral - Researching has found that Valtrex (generic is Valaciclovir) changes to Aciclovir in the body. Seems that to do any good administration must start within 72 hours of first rash appearance.

From rxlist.com clinical area applying Valtrex:

Herpes Zoster
Two randomized, double-blind clinical trials in immunocompetent adults with localized herpes zoster were conducted. VALTREX was compared with placebo in subjects aged less than 50 years and with oral acyclovir in subjects aged greater than 50 years. All subjects were treated within 72 hours of appearance of zoster rash. In subjects aged less than 50 years, the median time to cessation of new lesion formation was 2 days for those treated with VALTREX compared with 3 days for those treated with placebo. In subjects aged greater than 50 years, the median time to cessation of new lesions was 3 days in subjects treated with either VALTREX or oral acyclovir.
So only one day of shortening for those under age 50, that ain't much! And for over age 50 they didn't use a placebo, but rather the base Acyclovir(also spelled Aciclovir), making me wonder if the effect of Aciclover is minimized with age (like "well, our Valtrex is just as good as Aciclovir for those over age 50!"). Some of this reminds me of the Tamiflu efficacy controversy. Either way, I'm way beyond 72 hours!

I'm hopeful that the spreading has slowed to a stop today, will see with a bit more time. I'm thinking that a bit of old Zostavax is still in there swinging away.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom