So how many miles a week are you running now?

I was out for about 18 months because of fascitiis and a couple of other injuries. Just worked up to [-]running[/-] jogging 5 days and about 25 miles per week over the last two months :) so I decided to go to the saturday running club run/race yesterday for the first time in a very long time. I ran a minute/mile slower pace than two years ago on the same course :p but was happy to just be out there doing it again :)
MB, great comeback story. Keep up the good work!

We have a 65 year old in our running club that puts in 90 mile weeks in the build up for a marathon. I think that he normally runs about 50 per week. I think that you need a special combination of physical and mental attributes and years of training to be able to do that without constant injuries at that age or at any age for that matter.

I was out for about 18 months because of fascitiis and a couple of other injuries. Just worked up to [-]running[/-] jogging 5 days and about 25 miles per week over the last two months :) so I decided to go to the saturday running club run/race yesterday for the first time in a very long time. I ran a minute/mile slower pace than two years ago on the same course :p but was happy to just be out there doing it again :)

MB

MB

Just keep running the older we get the more we must run. Pain, Advil Liqua Gels and then some type of drink, red wine beer scotch. Your choice.

I have a good excuse - after knee surgery in 1987 I was told "Do not run". So I took his advice. Walk, yes. Swim, yes. Bicycle, yes. No run.

MB, great comeback story. Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

I also do a lot of other things (bike, swim, roller blade) and try to substitute them when I can't run but running is definitely what I miss the most. I love running!

MB

Just keep running the older we get the more we must run. Pain, Advil Liqua Gels and then some type of drink, red wine beer scotch. Your choice.

Newguy, the plan is to keep running as long as I'm around. If I go while on a trail run in the Santa Cruz mountains I'll go happy.

I have noticed that my Vitamin I intake has gone up over the years? Maybe I need to explore other options ;)

MB

Thanks!

I also do a lot of other things (bike, swim, roller blade) and try to substitute them when I can't run but running is definitely what I miss the most. I love running!

I have noticed that my Vitamin I intake has gone up over the years? Maybe I need to explore other options ;)

MB

Vitamin I is a safe drug, Costco sells them in bottles of 750 for 7.99!

the Blue Liqual gel Advils name brand are 17.99 for 240 pills. Funny They seem to work faster.

I'm 46. I ran 15-20 miles / week for years and found it wasn't enough to keep my weight down....

....One of my retirement goals is to add more crosstraining.

Have you tried weight training?

I am running 15-20 miles per week now, down from 20-25 last year. I've dramatically increased my weight training, and now do not have to worry about what I eat (although I am a freak when it comes to putting healthy things in my body!)

Have you tried weight training?

I haven't seriously gotten on a program yet, but weight training, swimming, and figuring out the best way to increase my flexibility are in my plans.

Ran 42 miles this week preparing for my first sprint triathlon in June. Also did about 40 miles on the bike. I have been running 6 miles 3 - 4 times a week for the past year but really gearing it up for the triathlon.. My goal is a respectible finish if I can do that and I enjoy the race I think I will try a half Ironman after that. It is impressive to see what others are doing (RunningBum / NewGuy888) I was a swimmer 30 years ago and used to rack up a lot of miles in the pool but I find running very challenging.

I did my first road race in about two years and my first as a 50 year old this weekend.

I've had a number of injuries over the last three years. (Knee/twice, once skiing and once playing soccer; hamstring/twice, once playing b-ball and once running track intervals; back strain/stiffness from a long mountain biking ride; foot (plantar fascia) from increasing running mileage to fast.)

For a while there I thought that I would have to take up golf like all those other old guys ;)

I was completely off from Memorial Day to New Year's Day because of the fasciitis but since then I've been able to work up to about 25 miles/week although most of it has been at a slow pace because the foot still acts up if I try to run to fast.

Even so I decided that it was time for a race. The race was a 5k. I ran a 21:20 (6:53 mile pace) which was about as expected and is respectable for a 50 year old so I'm happy with that (for now) :)

But a couple of years ago I was running 5ks at a sub 6 minute mile pace so I've slowed down a lot :(

But trying to be the optimist, I figure that I'm just setting myself up to set a whole lot of new 50+ PRs over the next couple of years :D

But mostly I'm just happy to be back in the race :D:D:D

MB

Even so I decided that it was time for a race. The race was a 5k. I ran a 21:20 (6:53 mile pace) which was about as expected and is respectable for a 50 year old so I'm happy with that (for now) :)

But a couple of years ago I was running 5ks at a sub 6 minute mile pace so I've slowed down a lot :(

But trying to be the optimist, I figure that I'm just setting myself up to set a whole lot of new 50+ PRs over the next couple of years :D

MB

That's more than respectable for a 50 year old! Congrats on your recovery and return.

I've heard lots of people reset their PRs as they get older, so they still have something to shoot for.

I've got the Bataan Death March marathon coming up next weekend.

I did my first road race in about two years and my first as a 50 year old this weekend.

I've had a number of injuries over the last three years. (Knee/twice, once skiing and once playing soccer; hamstring/twice, once playing b-ball and once running track intervals; back strain/stiffness from a long mountain biking ride; foot (plantar fascia) from increasing running mileage to fast.)

For a while there I thought that I would have to take up golf like all those other old guys ;)

I was completely off from Memorial Day to New Year's Day because of the fasciitis but since then I've been able to work up to about 25 miles/week although most of it has been at a slow pace because the foot still acts up if I try to run to fast.

MB

Uh MB that is a fantastic time!! Nice work!

My crazy race is in June in North carolina 26.2 miles.Hot Hot Hot!

I've got the Bataan Death March marathon coming up next weekend.

My crazy race is in June in North carolina 26.2 miles.Hot Hot Hot!

Good luck to both of you!

I've only done four marathons and the last was 15 years ago but before each one there was this feeling of excitement about them that I haven't felt before any other race, including tri's and adventure races. Kind of like a 16 year on his first date.

MB

...Kind of like a 16 year on his first date.
Yikes, I'd never want to do that again. This touched a nerve, I'm sure that I must have had several unmemorable nightmares about early dating. There are at least a few good points about being old and that's one of them. :D

Perhaps this would make a good subject for a new thread, no?

I've only done four marathons and the last was 15 years ago but before each one there was this feeling of excitement about them that I haven't felt before any other race, including tri's and adventure races. Kind of like a 16 year on his first date.

MB
This will be #8 marathon or ultra. For some of them I'm getting to the point where I'm pretty relaxed before the race, but then when I'm in the corral or in the first 100 yards, I always think "Oh jeez, what did I get myself into? And why??"

I ran 5 marathons in my time, the LAST was 20 years ago........I have NO desire to put myself through that again. I figure I have the race numbers and listed results to prove it, so that'sgood enough.......:)

One of the young women who works for me did he Honolulu marathon in December. I'd like to try that some day, but with the old body falling apart, it may not ever happen. But, I really would like to be able to say I completed it. I think that would be a feat to be proud of, for someone like me who has been out of shape for so long.
R

I ran 5 marathons in my time, the LAST was 20 years ago........I have NO desire to put myself through that again. I figure I have the race numbers and listed results to prove it, so that'sgood enough.......:)

Come on Finance, run one. SLOW! In a way running a marathon in just under 4 hours is a treat. 9 min miles will get you in at around 3:59!!

Take a look at this race in June down here in North Carolina.!! A real treat!

SITEMAP The Boogie races. Check out the waver

Ah c'mon FD, the first 20 are easy! It's just the last 6 that are a bit difficult every now and then!

Besides if I remember your 10k pace correctly you were probably running 2:30 or something like that. That's so fast that you don't even have time to really suffer ;)

MB

One of the young women who works for me did he Honolulu marathon in December. I'd like to try that some day, but with the old body falling apart, it may not ever happen. But, I really would like to be able to say I completed it. I think that would be a feat to be proud of, for someone like me who has been out of shape for so long.
R

Go for it. A lot of people are doing it these days with Team-in-Training and groups like that. No need to worry about speed just train to finish and improve your fitness and have some fun along the way.

MB

Go for it. A lot of people are doing it these days with Team-in-Training and groups like that. No need to worry about speed just train to finish and improve your fitness and have some fun along the way.

MB

Do you remember the book the world according to Garp? He ran 5 miles a day so he could drink 5 beers a day!

Do you remember the book the world according to Garp? He ran 5 miles a day so he could drink 5 beers a day!

Uum, how does that much beer affect your speed?

I can't risk getting any slower! I didn't mention it but DW ran a 22:30 at the 5k. Pretty good for a 50 your old female!

I used to beat her by 1 to 1 1/2 minutes per mile but I've been getting slower and she hasn't!

I don't think my male ego could handle it if the DW started to beat me ;) The testosterone level would probably take a big hit ;)

Of course with 5 beers a day maybe I wouldn't really care?

MB

MB

Thanks MB, I'll start training for it. A few weeks ago I actually began going to the gym again after 9 years. Then went to Europe for business, and had my first diverticulitis attack on the plane on the way back. It has been about 8-9 days now and still not completely well. Getting better slowly but surely. Actually I am at the airport right now heading to Nords' territory, and was hoping to get some running in on this trip with DD. But it looks like most of my time will be relaxing and recovering on the beach. I do intend to do some walking though, hoping it will help with circulation and re-hab.
R

Uum, how does that much beer affect your speed?

I can't risk getting any slower! I didn't mention it but DW ran a 22:30 at the 5k. Pretty good for a 50 your old female!

I used to beat her by 1 to 1 1/2 minutes per mile but I've been getting slower and she hasn't!

I don't think my male ego could handle it if the DW started to beat me ;) The testosterone level would probably take a big hit ;)

Of course with 5 beers a day maybe I wouldn't really care?

MB

22:30, 50 YO lady,, oops got some running to do. That is a really good time!

Beer , talk is much more than reality 5 beers a day would make mua a drunk!:D

I'm 50 (and female) and would love to run a 22:30 5K!!! I'm running the Whidbey Island 1/2 marathon on 4/13 and will be happy to finish in 2 hrs. Once this race is over, I'm going to switch to cycling. I'm anxiously waiting to see if my name was drawn for RAMROD (ride around Mt. Rainer in one day). Also registered to ride STP in one day (seattle to portland). DH says I'm going through a mid-life crisis!

Back
Top Bottom