So how many miles a week are you running now?

Just looked at my running log. I have run 560 miles in the past 58 days. Man I need new running shoes again!

So what do you do with all those shoes?

In my case I just use up 2 pair per year. When I first put them into use running I write the date with an indelible marker on the heal. After about 500 miles they get demoted to (1) walking shoes in which case they get a nice washing and the laces get put in a bleach solution, (2) gardening shoes, and (3) mud shoes for those really messy running days in winter.

So what do you do with all those shoes?

In my case I just use up 2 pair per year. When I first put them into use running I write the date with an indelible marker on the heal. After about 500 miles they get demoted to (1) walking shoes in which case they get a nice washing and the laces get put in a bleach solution, (2) gardening shoes, and (3) mud shoes for those really messy running days in winter.

They go into a box in the garage, some are used for teaching in the gym, the ones that are not so nasty, some become lawn mowing shoes, others painting sneakers, heck some I cleaned and gave away. Some I used shoe goo and kept building up the heels to keep using them, a great shoe that I put 1300 miles on that pair once!!

How is our spring running going?

Ran 13 miles today, nice day, no work until a track meet this afternoon. I get to run the Discus and Shot Put.

...I get to run the Discus and Shot Put.
Cool, but how do you manage running with these heavy objects:angel:?

I've had a slight soreness in the heal so decided to run every other day for awhile. Soreness now seems to be about gone. Beautiful Spring running weather here and just about to go out for a 4 miler in the hills.

lsbcal, that's smart to take it easier while the symptoms are minor, before it turns into something that could sideline you.

I have a 50 mile trail race this Saturday. I've been targetting this for a few months. If I'm not ready now, I never will be! 10 hours is my goal. We start at 4am, running in the dark will be a bit slow but starting early will limit the time running in the heat of the day. I've only run on this trail once, and I can't remember how rugged it is, so my time can definitely vary because of that. I know there's just a few ups and downs, no long hills.

I'm running about 25 miles/week.

It took 6-7 months but the fasciitis is mostly gone.

I lost a lot of fitness and also increased from about 165 lbs to 190 lbs during that time and during the previous month or two when I had a pulled hamstring.

The fasciitis started when I spontaneously decided that my hamstring was ok and that I was going to do a 30 miler in the Santa Cruz mountains. I figured I could go slow and walk if needed and there were a couple of towns on the route where I could stop and get food and water and 30 miles isn't really all that far and I didn't have a time goal so it would be fun. Not one of my better decisions. The first 25 miles or so were fun but I walked the last five miles and at each step it felt like a knife was being thrust up through the bottom of my foot.

I still have a long way to go to get back in shape but at least things are now going in the right direction.

The medium range goal is to get back to a sub-20 5k.

MB

RunningBum, good luck on Sunday. You're doing about 5 times the length of my longest. Let us know how it goes.

Mb, I guess we all have to take those overuse injuries seriously. One time another runner mentioned the term overuse injury to me and it made an impression. Now as soon as I identify something that is not going away after a day, I'll pull back and force myself to heal. I generally only have mild tendon issues that come up in the cooler weather. In the winter I use lycra shorts under my running shorts which helps alot. I generally stretch midway into a run. The fascitis sounds like a nasty injury. Good luck on healing.

I have a 50 mile trail race this Saturday. I've been targetting this for a few months. If I'm not ready now, I never will be! 10 hours is my goal. We start at 4am, running in the dark will be a bit slow but starting early will limit the time running in the heat of the day. I've only run on this trail once, and I can't remember how rugged it is, so my time can definitely vary because of that. I know there's just a few ups and downs, no long hills.

Good luck and let us know how it goes,

MB

ugh, tough day. My left ankle started to hurt early, and the pain spread to my knee. My Morton's neuroma (nerve problem) flared up badly in the other foot on the rocky course. I was reduced to a lot of walking with limited running. I finally decided to bag the last lap so I got in 34.5 miles (3.5 mie mini-loop + 25K loops). The final loop would've been a miserable crawl in rising temps, and I wasn't having any fun. Disappointed to DNF my first 50 mile try, but it was the right decision.

Uum, it does sound like a tought day Runningbum.

But it sounds like you made the right decision.

Much better to DNF than risk further injury.

MB

ugh, tough day. My left ankle started to hurt early, and the pain spread to my knee. My Morton's neuroma (nerve problem) flared up badly in the other foot on the rocky course. I was reduced to a lot of walking with limited running. I finally decided to bag the last lap so I got in 34.5 miles (3.5 mie mini-loop + 25K loops). The final loop would've been a miserable crawl in rising temps, and I wasn't having any fun. Disappointed to DNF my first 50 mile try, but it was the right decision.

Good job today RB.

Long run this week was 17 miles, 70 miles total for the week. Even my cardiologist said I do not need to see him for a year! He said no more stress tests needed, I give myself a stress test everyday with my runs. He said You would know something was wrong way before he would.

Having viral pericarditis 7 years ago and seeing my coronary arteries during the cardiac cath gives me some ease with my heart and cardiovascular system at 52 YO. Have had 3 nuclear stress tests since then and two echo stress tests. No blockages which with my family history is amazing. I guess 40 years of running has kept the plumbing clear. Only drugs i take are low dose BP meds daily and a baby asprin. Its all good, by the way that Krill oil talked about on another thread, been taking it for about a month now, and I see a big drop in my BP, with meds it was down to the 120/75 range but now 105/60 is my average even after a good workout and cool down. The only thing different is the added Krill oil.

DS Kicked my Butt Today

The soon to be 10th grade DS lettered in x-country and track this past year and showed signs of becoming a pretty good runner. I think that he enjoyed running with the teams but so far he hasn't shown much desire to run on his own without encouragement.

Except for b-ball twice a week or so he has been a couch potato since track ended so this morning to his surprise I pulled him out of bed and took him on one of my favorite bike/run/bike routes. It consists of an 8 mile bike to one of the local open space preserves, a 5 mile trail run with about 1000' of climbing, and an 8 mile ride home. He had never done anything like this before so I wasn't sure how he would respond and I was planning to take advantage in any way possible:cool: This was of course for his own good since I was just trying to show him that he needs to keep up his running to stay in shape ;)

He doesn't do any serious biking and I figured that the bike ride would burn a lot of the spring out of his legs and that seemed to be the case at the start of the hilly run. He would go a little a head on the flats but would slow and let me catch up and pass on the up hills and seemed to be really struggling on the climbs.

So I started to think about how I could take advantage. The first 2.5 miles of the run is mostly up hill to the top of a 1000' ridge and the last half mile of that is a continuous fairly steep climb. I decided that was where I should make my move:bat:

So about 600 meters from the top I start to pick up the pace with the idea of burning out what is left of his kick. He notices that dad is running faster and seems to sense that something is up and pulls in behind me. With about 400 meters I yell back at him "Last person to the top has to buy lunch on the ride back home" and take off!

He drafts off me for the next 200 meters and then turns on the after-burners with about 200 meters to go and literally leaves me in the dust. He wins by about 25 meters. I'm in oxygen debt big time when I get to the top and he's there waiting with a big smirk on his face :p

The thing I can't figure out is if he was setting me up the whole time:confused:

Maybe 50 year old legs just shouldn't be competing with 15 year legs but I'm not giving up yet. I figure that if I up the intensity on the bike ride (this one was fairly slow) and get in a couple more interval sessions and I may be able to reverse the order although next time he'll be prepared from the start.

Good running!

MB

Mb, sounds like you have a wonderful relationship with your son. Keep up the good work! That's a tough age so it really pays to stay in the loop.

At that age my son was a real ... well I won't go there. He's turned the corner and is doing well at 23.

Me 53 ran 22:55 today in 88 degree Temp & 70 degree dewpoint to finish 44th out of 350 in a 5K race.

I was happy, a very good run 3rd in my age group.

Mb, sounds like you have a wonderful relationship with your son. Keep up the good work! That's a tough age so it really pays to stay in the loop.

At that age my son was a real ... well I won't go there. He's turned the corner and is doing well at 23.

He's a good kid, although you might have come to a slightly different conclusion if you had been there when I woke him up.

MB

Me 53 ran 22:55 today in 88 degree Temp & 70 degree dewpoint to finish 44th out of 350 in a 5K race.

I was happy, a very good run 3rd in my age group.

Good job and good time, especially in that temperature and humidity.

But be cautious when running hard under those conditions.

MB

A Tale of Two Races

This thread has died now that Newguy isn't around any longer.

I'll make a stab at restarting it.

A description of two of my recent races follows.

I'm standing on the starting line for a race in Golden Gate Park waiting for the gun to go off when I flash back a half dozen years to the first time I did this race.

It is about 30 minutes before the start and I'm looking around at my competition. It looks like there are a couple of hundred people in the race and normally in a race this size I'll place top three in my age group and maybe top 10 overall but this is a USA Track & Field race that my running club talked me into so I'm thinking maybe the competition will be different.

I look around and notice that everyone looks really skinny. I'm 5'11" (normally I round up to 6' but this is the internet so have to tell the truth ;)) and 165 lb (or at least I was then) and most people think that I'm skinny but I seem to out weigh almost everyone but at least 20 lbs.

These guys look really tough. They have really, really skinny arms. No biceps at all. Most of them look like they can't bench press 20 lb. They all look like Kenyans that spent to much time on the bleach cycle in the wash. I'm know I'm in trouble.

A few later minutes the gun goes off and the race is on. I hit the mile marker at about 5:40 which is probably a bit faster than I should be running but it looks like the whole flipping field is in front of me. I can't even see the race leaders anymore.

I have a Butch Cassidy moment. You know when Butch and Sundance are being chased by the posse and just can't shake them and one looks at the other and says, "Who are these guys?"

After the race I scan the results and learn a bit more about who these guys are. I notice one guy that was in the Olympic finals for the 1500m a few years earlier and a woman that is a contender for the marathon in the next Olympics.

Now a half dozen years later I'm ready to try again. Only now I'm coming off of two solid years of injuries with little or no running. I'm out of shape and 15 lb heavier.

The results are different this time. I'm even farther back in the pack.

But I get the consolation prize a couple of days later when I get the results and find that I finish high enough to be listed in the USATF standings. I'm now a ranked runner in the USA Track and Field standings in the 50+ age category for Norcal.

(Note that it helped that I have "graduated" into the 50 year age group and now compete against all of those really old guys ;))

A couple of months later I'm at the start line again. I wasn't sure that I wanted to do this race but it's close and doesn't start until 9am so I don't have to get up early so I decide to go for it.

It is a small local race that I've done 3 or 4 times before. I have a 2nd and a 3rd in my age group from my 40s but I haven't done it for about 4 years.

I look around and don't see anyone my age that I know (i.e. that can beat me) but you never know in these races. About a mile from the finish I pass a guy that looks like he could be in my age group but I'm still way slower than my target time -- almost 3 minutes or 1/2 mile slower than just a couple of years earlier. I think maybe I should give up running and take up something boring like golf ;)

So I'm surprised an hour or so later when I hear the announcer say " . . . . and the winner of the 50-59 age group is MB."

So what did I learn from these races:

(1) Sometimes when you are old enough to be considering ER or R just getting to the starting line is enough to win, and

(2) Sometimes you have to try to run with the big dogs even if you know you're going to get your butt kicked because something good may just come out of it.

Happy running,

MB

I was never a runner, just started a few months back and now to the point that I can jog 3.5 miles without petering out for a cool-down/breather walk. I am tryiing to run 3-4 miles about 5x a week, but just probably averaging about 4.5 days a week, so maybe 15 total. I want to get to the point that I can run 6 miles without a breather, then add cycling and swimming such that I could do a triathlon (like Nation's that Leatherneck is starting to train for...another thread). I'm finding I enjoy it much more than I thought I would, but the enjoyment comes in how good I feel when I am done, and the achievement (couldn't run a lap around a track when I started...). I don't particularly enjoy the monotony of the run, and all I have is a treadmill...nowhere around here to run without stoplights, pedestrians, and mad motorcycles.
R

MB, congratulations on your race results. Haven't done any races in a few years. Now it's just between me and that overweight guy on the bike who's just trying to get up the grade I start on. Sometimes I pass the bikers but they always get me later on the flat. Then there are those jack rabbits that just stare until you come up to them and then they sometimes run straight on the path with you until they figure out they can just ver off into the brush.

Went on a one month vacation with no running -- just hiking. So it's taken me awhile to get back to my 20mi per week. Right now I'm at 16 mpw. The weather here is Northern Ca. is ideal now for morning runs and the soft light at this time of the year makes everything glow.

Good luck to all you runners and runners to be.

P.S. So what happened to Newguy?

Wow, what a descriptive post and thoughtful analogy MB....congrats on your success! :)

Congrats, MB.

I'm pretty sure that I'm about the fittest I can be for my age, but I'm never going to win any races. I'm just not that fast. My conclusion is that I just didn't inherit a fast body.

I was never a runner, just started a few months back and now to the point that I can jog 3.5 miles without petering out for a cool-down/breather walk. I am tryiing to run 3-4 miles about 5x a week, but just probably averaging about 4.5 days a week, so maybe 15 total. I want to get to the point that I can run 6 miles without a breather, then add cycling and swimming such that I could do a triathlon (like Nation's that Leatherneck is starting to train for...another thread). I'm finding I enjoy it much more than I thought I would, but the enjoyment comes in how good I feel when I am done, and the achievement (couldn't run a lap around a track when I started...). I don't particularly enjoy the monotony of the run, and all I have is a treadmill...nowhere around here to run without stoplights, pedestrians, and mad motorcycles.
R

Be careful about doing to much to fast. Endurance tends to increase at a faster rate than tendons and ligaments can adapt and that leads to injury.

At our age injury prevention is alot more important than a couple of extra miles.

One thing that many coaches recommend is to cut back your mileage by half every fourth week so if you are doing 15 miles a week reduce it to 7 for one week and then go back to your normal distance the next week. The "short week" is also a good time to introduce something new like a day of swimming or biking in a way that minimizes stress.

I have found that I can do a respectable sprint distance tri with one day of swimming and one day of biking a week in addition to 4-5 days of running.

Good luck,

MB

Back
Top Bottom