So how many miles a week are you running now?

Newguy, sounds like you were well checked out. I had some heart stress tests done about 25 years ago. No symptoms now. Any idea how much a nuclear stress test costs nowadays (assuming a high deductable insurance plan)?

Newguy, sounds like you were well checked out. I had some heart stress tests done about 25 years ago. No symptoms now. Any idea how much a nuclear stress test costs nowadays (assuming a high deductable insurance plan)?

It looks like the nuclear stress test cost was about 4,000 dollars. Now that was with a very good insurance policy. I believe if you have a high deductible you actually could pay substantially less if you negotiate the price ahead of time. My echo stress test was closer to 2500.

Wow. I can't believe I have been reading these boards for about 6 months, and have just discovered this thread. I run about 60 miles a week, but I am only 24 so nothing that impressive.

I try to be competitive and am running a 5k this weekend that I have created a lot of expectations for. Going to be very dissapointed if it doesn't go well. 5k is my weakest distance. I can go all out for a mile, I can go all out for 26.2 miles, I can go all out for 10k and I can go all out for 13.1 - but ask me to go all out for 5k and I chicken out from about mile 1.75-2.5 before finishing strong...

What excites me so much about this thread on this board (as opposed to the running boards I post on) is how much my interest in FIRE is because of running.
I'm dreaming of the day I wake up naturally, run in the beautiful Percy Warner and Edwin Warner Parks in Nashville which I intend to live adjacent to, head over to my favorite breakfast joint, and then relax until it's time to go help with one of the local high school teams or something. Of course I might also work part time at the running store I have worked at for years, and still work at even though I also have a "real job" now.

tpCOOPER! Yes welcome to my thread. I am 51 been running 40 years. Still putting in upwards of 70 miles a week.

I am erd from a 30 year career as a physical education teacher and track coach. I just told the HS that I coach here down in the raleigh area that I will NOT be coaching the spring track team this year. I took 3 days a week an elementary physical education part time job that ends a bit after 5pm so practice two days of the week would be difficult. Plus I am going to be running a marathon in mid june so training in the afternoons is going to be happening.

But welcome again. Keep the thread alive. I sure try.

By the way I have this 3rd grade autistic student that is just a hoot on Fridays in my last class of the day, he is so small and weighs so little I am afraid I might break him when I spot him doing certain activities, his name is COOPER!

Today, Ran 8 miles in the morning then sat outside in the sun for a few hours drank a 750 ml bottle of TraderJoes Vintage Ale, a belgian style beer almost 10% alcohol then ran 5 miles. The 5 was fun being a wee bit buzzed. 13 miles today.

I like this retired stuff.

Tapering for the Holiday Lake 50K in central Virginia a week from Saturday. One weather service shows a chance of snow Friday night before. That could be messy.

I hope I'm ready. I've done 3 20+ mile runs in the last 2 months, but since the last one 3 weeks ago my legs have felt heavy. Hoping the taper will bring me in fresh. I don't care too much about my finish time, this is the first in a series of races this year to increase my mileage, with the goal being a 100 miler next year. This is the year to find out how I handle more miles, and to decide whether it's doing more harm than good, in which case I'd bag it and keep to manageable distances.

but ask me to go all out for 5k and I chicken out from about mile 1.75-2.5 before finishing strong...

The problem with 5k, at least for me, is that I'm going into oxygen debt and starting to hurt after only about a 1/2 mile and at the point I still have 5/6 six of the race left.

But a marathon is "fun" for the first 20 miles or so. It's only about the last 6 miles or so that it becomes a bit uncomfortable.

MB

What excites me so much about this thread on this board (as opposed to the running boards I post on) is how much my interest in FIRE is because of running.
I'm dreaming of the day I wake up naturally, run in the beautiful Percy Warner and Edwin Warner Parks in Nashville which I intend to live adjacent to, head over to my favorite breakfast joint, and then relax until it's time to go help with one of the local high school teams or something. Of course I might also work part time at the running store I have worked at for years, and still work at even though I also have a "real job" now.

Yes, developing a more intimate relationship with my running shoes, mountain bike, roller blades, etc is a big incentive for me :D

Just might spend more time with the wife and kids too ;)

MB

Tapering for the Holiday Lake 50K in central Virginia a week from Saturday. One weather service shows a chance of snow Friday night before. That could be messy.

I hope I'm ready. I've done 3 20+ mile runs in the last 2 months, but since the last one 3 weeks ago my legs have felt heavy. Hoping the taper will bring me in fresh. I don't care too much about my finish time, this is the first in a series of races this year to increase my mileage, with the goal being a 100 miler next year. This is the year to find out how I handle more miles, and to decide whether it's doing more harm than good, in which case I'd bag it and keep to manageable distances.

Let us know how it goes. I remember you mentioning this before but don't recall if it is your first ultra?

MB

This is the year to find out how I handle more miles, and to decide whether it's doing more harm than good, in which case I'd bag it and keep to manageable distances.

Well, I read somewhere that if you run more that 18-22 miles a week then you are doing for something other than your health. Not sure I agree with it but that was the opinon of at least one "expert."

MB

Too cold to be out in the elements that long this time of the year. I am looking at a 24 hour race in september here in NC and a marathon in mid june here.

This will be my 4th ultra, plus 3 marathons. My longest so far is 45 miles on a 12 hour night race.

Ran 16 today at 3:30 min marathon pace. Felt real good.

Well, I read somewhere that if you run more that 18-22 miles a week then you are doing for something other than your health. Not sure I agree with it but that was the opinon of at least one "expert."
That's about all I think I need but then I'm pushing 60. Maybe RunningBum and Newguy are kids :) ? I'm impressed with their mileage though.

That's about all I think I need but then I'm pushing 60. Maybe RunningBum and Newguy are kids :) ? I'm impressed with their mileage though.

Going to be 52 in april, been running since 1966!

I'm 46. I ran 15-20 miles / week for years and found it wasn't enough to keep my weight down. Adding other things would've done as well, but running is what I like best, and it was always my goal to do a marathon. Then I found trail running and fell in with people 10-15 years older who were running much, much more.

One of my retirement goals is to add more crosstraining.

Ran 16 today at 3:30 min marathon pace. Felt real good.

Very impressive. I've been a walker but lately I have started mixing in some jogging. Felt like a needed to get the old heart pumping a little faster. Doubt if I will ever convert entirely to running. But I walk about 3 miles a day so if half comes from jogging, I will be happy. Plus playing golf 4-5 times a week(riding :D) should give me plenty of exercise.

Running Bum

How did you do at the holiday 50K last weekend?

Have read some of the race reports loks like the weather was great.

Put in 70 miles last week, ran a 12 miler today. Slow but felt good.

I finished my 50K last weekend, but it wasn't easy. Pain in an ankle, hips, knees throughout, and I had a miserable stretch in the middle. But at 21 miles I was able to put it aside and finish strong. 6:25 finish, much slower than I hoped for, though the course was about 2.5 miles over 50K. Mostly I'm happy that I was able to finish on a day where I was really struggling.

I ran to the fridge and got a beer. Does that count?

We have a 65 year old in our running club that puts in 90 mile weeks in the build up for a marathon. I think that he normally runs about 50 per week. I think that you need a special combination of physical and mental attributes and years of training to be able to do that without constant injuries at that age or at any age for that matter.

I was out for about 18 months because of fascitiis and a couple of other injuries. Just worked up to [-]running[/-] jogging 5 days and about 25 miles per week over the last two months :) so I decided to go to the saturday running club run/race yesterday for the first time in a very long time. I ran a minute/mile slower pace than two years ago on the same course :p but was happy to just be out there doing it again :)

MB

I finished my 50K last weekend, but it wasn't easy. Pain in an ankle, hips, knees throughout, and I had a miserable stretch in the middle. But at 21 miles I was able to put it aside and finish strong. 6:25 finish, much slower than I hoped for, though the course was about 2.5 miles over 50K. Mostly I'm happy that I was able to finish on a day where I was really struggling.

Fantastic Bum!!

That is a fine time and as the Doc said don't worry about your time. You ran 34+ miles .

Good job!

Back
Top Bottom