Suddenly feeling old and mortal

the rotator is a tough injury .. maybe you just strained it. i am lucky to have strong shoulders but my right knee is at 60% of what it could be. but i can still hike with a staff and biking is no problem. when i feel old and tired i usually put on some good blues .. drink a toast to the good times either in the past or future .. and knock on wood :biggrin:

I can lift my arm up high now, but still cannot reach behind my back. Sleeping on that side is also painful. Hopefully it heals quickly, so I can get back on to my weights.
Drinking a toast is not an option at this stage. Doc says I've had one too many, and need to lay of the booze. The next blood test needs to show a significant improvement in my GGT, Trigs and Glucose readings.:(

Had my check up last week. Full blood test and all.
However on the bright side, the high sugar reading could be due to my high red wine consumption, and if I cut that down, the sugar may reduce to a more reasonable as well.

Most alcoholic beverages other than beer are low-carb, though I suppose the actual carb count could depend on the vintage? And, of course, the consumption level! More, wine often is linked to reduced inflammation, itself thought to be a precursor to diabetes.

Alcohol Carb Chart - Atkins - Low Carb

Best way to find out is to buy a glucose meter and check for yourself.

Good luck, keep after it ...

I can lift my arm up high now, but still cannot reach behind my back. Sleeping on that side is also painful. Hopefully it heals quickly, so I can get back on to my weights.

I know what you mean! Although I do not have an injury right now, I get rotator cuff injuries sometimes with weight lifting. They come on much more quickly than other injuries, at least for me, and the intensity of rotator cuff pain always surprises me.

Even now, more than a year after my last rotator cuff incident (I think?), I am still lifting quite a bit less than I probably could on several of the weight lifting machines that happen to aggravate my rotator cuffs. I also have extended my warm-up/stretching to add extra attention to the shoulder area before each workout.

I am 64, and at my age avoiding injuries when weightlifting is almost an art. :D

I am definitely feeling more creaky these days. I hope that I will have a positive attitude when I get to this guy's stage:

Joe Schlesinger, the master storyteller, has been a journalist for 65 years and now, he says, his main job is being a patient patient. He is on his third hip replacement and takes oodles of pills, but no 'mewling' for him. When you've witnessed history, you always have a stake in the future.

Joe Schlesinger: The full-time job of growing old - Canada - CBC News

I started to recognize old age when my perfect eyesight stared to deteriorate at age 50. I also started to get arthritis. I ER'd at 55 and one of my goals was to get healthy. I workout at a gym 2x per week with a trainer and I haven't felt this good since high school.

Back
Top Bottom