Can I afford not to get a Tesla (or a Bolt)

I'm still not sure about EVs TBH. While we have the Impreza as a second vehicle I have no concerns, but once it becomes the main vehicle...
I also read a lot of horror stories about the hidden costs of Tesla if you get into an accident for example, they seem much more exp naive to fix than conventional vehicles.

I'm not rushing into anything but right now the Toyota Corolla Hybrid AWD is looking like the sweet spot for me.

Anything Toyota is hard to get right now, so I'll hang on to my current car and hope the transmission keeps going for a few years.

The word is EVs are not that reliable these days (including Tesla), and the initial cost is still high. With exception of Bolt I guess. If I'm pressed to buy a car now, I'd look for hybrid from reliable manufacturer rather than pure EV.
That's nonsense. Teslas require significantly less maintenance and are more reliable in general since we're just going with hearsay "word is." If you have some current links, I'd be happy to be more specific...

And the Tesla Model 3 and Model Y come in at or below the average price paid for new cars in the US now, even less with tax credits. Sure there are cheaper ICE vehicles still, but EVs just continue to get more competitive.

More to the point, the cheapest Tesla Model Y now has an MSRP of $46,990 (without destination charge), which is $759 less than the average price of a new car or truck sold in the US. [both the 3 and Y are eligible for $7500 Fed tax credit, and more in some states]

Besides the Model Y, Tesla’s Model 3 has long had an MSRP under the average price for a new car in the United States, with the latest cuts bringing the starting price of Tesla’s most affordable model at $39,990, which is $7,759 less than the average amount paid of a car or truck in the US.

With this being said, Tesla isn’t exactly making the cheapest EVs out there, with the Chevrolet Bolt EV starting at $26,500 and other models like the Nissan Leaf and Hyundai Kona Electric being priced from under $40,000 [no Fed tax credit unless you lease].

https://insideevs.com/news/664206/t...sla’s Model 3 has,of a car or truck in the US.

Last edited:
My wife drives a Lexus 450H

Glad you mentioned that, since it's one of the cars I'm looking at for my next one. Problem is they are scarce as hen's teeth around here -- closest one is over 200 miles away. What's your opinion of it?

I just want to know how much it costs to get those off road recovery folks in there when you get stuck. :(

Not counting my 1973 land Cruiser or my BMW Z4, we have two main cars. My wife drives a Lexus 450H and I drive a 2014 Toyota Land Cruiser

My wife tends to drive less than 30 miles a day when she drives. Sometimes up to 100, but once a year.

When we go on trips or even just someplace together, we take my gas guzzling Land Cruiser

Her next car will be an EV and AWD for the winter. We have solar and I switched out old AC units for efficient Heat pumps and the surplus in electricity would more than cover her driving. We haven't decided which EV as of yet. Hopefully the Tax Incentive list will grow

My next Vehicle will likely be the new Land Cruiser that gets 27 MPG or the Lexus version GX550. I go offroad for a hobby and also tow a trailer. I am a few years away from thinking about a new vehicle and maybe there will be big improvements that meet my needs.

I think its good for now to have one EV and one ICE vehicle (or Hybrid)

One daughter just bought an Ionic 5 and they love it. Her other vehicle is a Land Cruiser

The other daughter just bought a Tesla and they love it. Yup, her other vehicle is a Land Cruiser (Lexus version)

They are both in their 30's now. I taught them to drive offroading and to this day we still spend time on the trail together with their families. That is why we all have Land Cruisers.

Sorry, pictures are not EV related, but why it is good to have one non EV :) Of course I read the Rivian is pretty capable, it just can't tow without depleting charge fast

hmm - my daughters white Land Cruiser photo is rotated 90 deg. She was going down hill

Check out the Ford Maverick hybrid crew cap truck. 37 mpg as I recall but only tows 2,000 lbs.

If you want the 37mpg hybrid version, get ready to wait for 6 months to a year....at least that's how long it was when I looked into them.

If you want the 37mpg hybrid version, get ready to wait for 6 months to a year....at least that's how long it was when I looked into them.
They made the hybrid version the more expensive one for 2024. It used to be the less expensive model, with the 2.0 liter turbo 4 costing more.

The hybrid gear is more valuable being used to get subsidies to sell plug-in hybrid Escapes for $45K or more.

Back
Top Bottom