Suddenly feeling old and mortal

UserRequested

Recycles dryer sheets
Had my check up last week. Full blood test and all. Doc tells me my triglyceride readings are on the (pretty) high side and sugar level indicates possible diabetes.
However on the bright side, the high sugar reading could be due to my high red wine consumption, and if I cut that down, the sugar may reduce to a more reasonable as well.

So here I am, on a reduced alcohol consumption, increased exercise and healthier diet regime for 3 months until my next blood test.

Yesterday, I tore a rotator muscle, and am now unable to lift my arm above my shoulder. This happened while I was laying a new timber deck in the backyard

Needless to say, am currently feeling old and decrepid :(

Just wondering how others cope with the sudden bolt from the blue and realization that they are no longer immortal.

I was just 45 when a doctor broke the news to me that I had early-onset arthritis in both knees by reporting the results of my x-rays thusly, "Well, the good news is that on the outside you look really good. Trouble is, on the inside, boy do you look old!"

He has a great sense of humor and a real gift for delivering these kinds of gems with great aplomb. He actually had me laughing along while breaking the news to me that my body was starting to degenerate. Ever since then, my focus has shifted from thinking I can do whatever I want with little consequence, to wanting to slow down the rate of decay as much as possible.

Now, I'm still fairly young at 49, but want to do whatever I can (within reason) to make the party last as long as possible. It's totally OK with me that it may need to be a well-behaved and reasonably quiet party :D

Well, mine has been a more slow deliberate process. First it was my hair becoming wavy 20 years ago. Unfortunately it was waiving goodbye. The knees and back have become balky over the years. Nothing that is debilitating. Fortunately I recognized this and decided to not fight it and changed my workout activities to fit my age, and not make it worse. Things have stabilized lately. Pushing 50, got my BP checked while giving blood today. It was 120/60 ( no meds) which was actually a few points lower than a couple years ago. I am not a health nut in terms of eating, but I did make 2 changes in my diet that slashed my triglycerides in half. I eat oatmeal with walnuts and an apple cut up in it every day, and added krill oil.

but I did make 2 changes in my diet that slashed my triglycerides in half. I eat oatmeal with walnuts and an apple cut up in it every day, and added krill oil.

Hey - now that's good news. Does this mean that if I add the same to my diet, I can keep consuming the red wine at previous levels :LOL:

Can you tell I'm still in denial :facepalm:

You youngsters! Do you even realize how funny you boys are, complaining about age at your tender ages? :LOL:

All three of you have a lot more youth, fun, and life left in you, I am sure. :D

(Me too, in my mid 60's)

jags said:
Hey - now that's good news. Does this mean that if I add the same to my diet, I can keep consuming the red wine at previous levels :LOL:

Can you tell I'm still in denial :facepalm:

First of all Jags you are at a better starting place...I like my white wine and red is better for you so they say. :) Btw- I knock out a couple bottles a week of it, so the wine I drink has no apparent affect on my Tri's. I am not a health nut like I said. I love my sweets and just tore up a box of peeps an hour ago. But I keep my weight on the thin side and focus a bit on portion control. Three years ago I had Triglyceride number of 150 and LDL of 115. Last two years the Tri's are 80 and LDL 100. It has to be the daily oatmeal, walnuts, and krill oil (or one of the two) as I started them together did them every day and tested a year later. My other diet of pizza, chips, pasta, burgers hasn't changed much though I have added more veges and salad, but not on a frequent basis. My HDL however, dropped off years ago after I had to quit my rigorous running activities, and nothing will bring it back. It seems like triglycerides are now becoming a more important number to monitor. If numbers head north again, I will take my diet to a higher level.

You youngsters! Do you even realize how funny you boys are, complaining about age at your tender ages? :LOL:

All three of you have a lot more youth, fun, and life left in you, I am sure. :D

(Me too, in my mid 60's)
When we talk about our age, I think we all sound funny to our elders. I know I think it's hilarious when I hear 25 and 30 year-olds saying that they feel "old" !

Nevertheless, there's no denying the fact that after a few motorcycle accidents 15 years ago, my knees are a bit of a mess and there are certain things I can't do any more. It's just the way it is.

Plenty of other things I can do though!

Three years ago I had Triglyceride number of 150 and LDL of 115. Last two years the Tri's are 80 and LDL 100.

Mulligan - what unit of measure do you guys use. We use mmol/L. So my Trigs are 3.27 mmol/L which is 59mg/dl

Also I forgot to mention that my GAMMA GT is also on the high side - which is not good news for the liver, although the liver function tests came out normal.

The Gamma GT , plus high Trigs plus high Glucose is what has me doctor concerned.

jags said:
Mulligan - what unit of measure do you guys use. We use mmol/L. So my Trigs are 3.27 mmol/L which is 59mg/dl

Also I forgot to mention that my GAMMA GT is also on the high side - which is not good news for the liver, although the liver function tests came out normal.

The Gamma GT , plus high Trigs plus high Glucose is what has me doctor concerned.

My glucose numbers are fine, around 70, which is fortunate because I love my daily candy. My measurements are are also mg/dl. I am confused why 59 mg/dl is considered bad when I have been told by my doctor when I first got tested and by subsequent printouts and readings that under 150 is normal and above that is high. I know nothing about diabetes and it's consequences on diet, since I do not have it.

My glucose numbers are fine, around 70, which is fortunate because I love my daily candy. My measurements are are also mg/dl. I am confused why 59 mg/dl is considered bad when I have been told by my doctor when I first got tested and by subsequent printouts and readings that under 150 is normal and above that is high. I know nothing about diabetes and it's consequences on diet, since I do not have it.

Maybe I got the conversion wrong. My trigs are 3.27 instead of the normal range of 0.50-2.00 mmol/L
GGT is 90 instead of normal 5 - 50/60

Anyway thanks. The best thing is to abstain from alcohol and test in 3 months. It's hard, because I do enjoy my wine, but this is certainly a wake up call !!

40 years old, have panic attack, hypertension, obese, diabetes, anemic...all within the past years.

To the OP:
You're dying. :facepalm:
We're all dying. :facepalm:
Relax, don't obsess over it, and just try to slow down the process a bit. :cool:

To those who might be confused about the different measuring systems, here are calculators you can use to convert US cholesterol, triglyceride, and blood glucose measurements (mg/dl) to/from the more common mmol/L system:
Cholesterol Converter and Triglyceride Converter
Blood Glucose Converter

I was pre-diabetic for years and never took the Dr's call to action seriously, until about 5 years ago when I went over the threshold. At that time, I felt tired, no strength, my eyesight was getting worse, and just felt like a very old man. In the few months after that, I changed my diet, walked off 35 lbs and then started to go to the gym. Although I am not getting any younger, I feel so much better than back then. My advice is to take the diabetes threat very seriously as you don't want to cross that threshold, as there is no going back once you do.

jags
We all have to face up to the fact that we are not immortal. And by choosing ER, we are saying we value our limited time and want to make the best use of them.

Take care of yourself. You'll get over the various temporary physical setbacks.

I'm a ginger. I used to do work around the house with great speed. MSO used to call me "The Strawberry Tornado". Now, I'm the "Strawberry Big Gust of Wind":) I think it's supposed to work on a couple of levels, not sure. Hmmm!:angel:

To the OP:
You're dying. :facepalm:
We're all dying. :facepalm:
Relax, don't obsess over it, and just try to slow down the process a bit. :cool:

Do what you can to maintain/improve your health, live an active and engaged life, and accept that you're getting older. Worrying or feeling sorry for yourself won't help. Life is short...

"Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference."

Good reminder IMO.

Have not yet felt old.

The mortality bit hit home when I was 9 years old watching a couple of guys getting hoisted by their necks onto a monument by an angry mob. They stopped moving after a while and somebody said the were dead.

The mortality bit hit home when I was 9 years old watching a couple of guys getting hoisted by their necks onto a monument by an angry mob. They stopped moving after a while and somebody said the were dead.
I'm sure glad I didn't grow up in your neighborhood...

I'm sure glad I didn't grow up in your neighborhood...

1956 was not a good year. After that serving in the US Army at some interesting places was piece of cake.

Sorry 'bout your injury, but rotator cuff problems happen to young folks too. Best wishes for speedy recovery.

But you're right that life is a round-trip ticket, and we often do not really appreciate that until we have some years behind us. That said, there are some amazing feats are still possible as we age- like these 80+yr old ironman triathletes-
Amazing 81-Year-Old Ironman Lew Hollander Still Competing | Bleacher Report
Or 100yr old marathoner-
100-year-old marathoner finishes race

It's all about the life in your years!!!

Had my check up last week. Full blood test and all. Doc tells me my triglyceride readings are on the (pretty) high side and sugar level indicates possible diabetes.
However on the bright side, the high sugar reading could be due to my high red wine consumption, and if I cut that down, the sugar may reduce to a more reasonable as well.

So here I am, on a reduced alcohol consumption, increased exercise and healthier diet regime for 3 months until my next blood test.
You don't need a prescription to buy a blood glucose monitor which cost about $20. Buying strips and the other stuff might be another $30. Then you can monitor it yourself before the next blood test and see what is and is not working. Just like for about $60 you can buy a blood pressure cuff, that tells you when it is in the right position.

You can't help your DNA. Mr. A. is considerably older than I, drinks more, exercises less, and won't go near a piece of fruit....yet all his "blood numbers" are better than mine.

It just means I have to work harder to compensate.

A.

Back
Top Bottom