Suffering from low HDL

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Over many years, my HDL levels typically run between 35 - 38 and on occasion have hit 40. Earlier this year I started taking a 2 a day multi-vitamin and have had two consecutive blood tests at 44 and 45 separated by a three month period. The only thing I can think is that the multi-vitamin boosted my levels. It does have niacin in it, so whether it was that or something else in the vitamin I do not know. Anyhow, I have been delighted to see this improvement. Has anyone else experienced a boost in their HDL after going on a multi-vitamin?

Over many years, my HDL levels typically run between 35 - 38 and on occasion have hit 40. Earlier this year I started taking a 2 a day multi-vitamin and have had two consecutive blood tests at 44 and 45 separated by a three month period. The only thing I can think is that the multi-vitamin boosted my levels. It does have niacin in it, so whether it was that or something else in the vitamin I do not know. Anyhow, I have been delighted to see this improvement. Has anyone else experienced a boost in their HDL after going on a multi-vitamin?

Not a direct answer, but ..... I take fish oil which lowers my triglycerides, and the primary doc concurs. As far as HDL, my numbers are around 40 to 42, which is average, and I have read that alcohol consumption (moderate?) increases the liver's production of HDL. (I choose to believe it, lol, since I am a beer lover). In case anyone doesn't know, HDL is the good cholesterol, and LDL is the bad.

Over many years, my HDL levels typically run between 35 - 38 and on occasion have hit 40.

My HDL levels have been around 30-35 all my life. All my other numbers look good so I haven't worried about it. I'm not the type to take pills just to change a number, so no vitamins, no fish oil, etc. So far, I'm still ticking...

My last bloodwork said my HDL was 53. I really didn't know about niacin and HDL but there appears to be a relationship between them. I take 1500mg of slow release niacin daily suggested by a ENT, to help the fluid in the inner ear maintain its level. I suffered horribly with vertigo and the niacin helps it.

I have not, but have been fairly regular with the multivitamins. However, I have seen resistance training increase my HDL significantly; my doc recommended this to help move the needle.

Interesting. Mine is always around 37-39, but never over 40. Other numbers are within normal limits. I used to take a multi-vitamin but stopped taking a couple years ago. Never saw any real changes in my cholesterol numbers. I am kind the odd ball of the family. I have had high blood pressure for years, but my cholesterol numbers have been good. The rest of my close blood family had great BP but terrible cholesterol. Makes no sense to me.

Oh yeah, and at my last check up, my doc made the recommendation to start a statin. Uh...how about NO?! I was kinda surprised because she has been pretty conservative with the prescriptions.

A number of things can affect your HDL level.

In my own case, mine was generally in the 50s until I started a LCHF diet. Since then it has been in the 80s.

DW has HDL levels that were all over the map, and when she started reducing her carbs they have pretty much stabilized in the 80s.

I have read that exercise can also have a beneficial effect on HDL levels, but I'm not sure exactly how that works.

Never noticed a change to HDL back in the days when I took multi-vitamins. After a change in diet (to generally low carb) a few years ago, my HDL numbers improved. Prior to that, my HDL was usually in the low 40s but now stays in the 75 to 85 range. Could be wrong but I attribute the HDL improvement to diet since no real change in exercise routine and take no supplements.

Don't know your diet, but those eating primarily plant-based have a low HDL. HDL is known as the good cholesterol that helps remove the LDL, the bad cholesterol. So it stands to reason that if one's LDL is low, the HDL will be low too.

A study just came out this week that said a higher HDL is not necessarily a good thing. This isn't the study I'm talking about, but related: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/08/180825081724.htm

I have not, but have been fairly regular with the multivitamins. However, I have seen resistance training increase my HDL significantly; my doc recommended this to help move the needle.

I've never had low HDL, but I generally can't sit still. I always have to be doing something. I think my activity level may be a contributor.

My HDL runs about 41. I asked my doc why it was low, he said it was because my cholesterol was so low. I take a lot of zinc supplements and have read that can lower your HDL.

Always been in the high 30's, but when started to exercise hard 6x weekly before Covid, it went up to 43/44.

My last physical (5/18/20) Lipid Panel results:

CHOLESTEROL 165

TRIGLYCERIDES 47

HDL CHOLESTEROL 66

CALC LDL CHOL 86

No meds taken for this, not really watching my diet (which is pretty bad due to lockup), doing nothing special, just walking a lot. Age 76, A1C was 5.2.

DW, on the other hand, has high cholesterol and takes meds. Goes to show what differences can be had even with the same diet (both of us eat the same stuff). Surely her high C (well over 200) is genetic.

My lowest-ever cholesterol with my best-ever profile numbers were after several months on a body building routine.

Last edited:
My Dr always told me that increasing cardio would improve it, although that never worked for me. I suspect there is a genetic predisposition for those that run very low levels, and I always attributed it to that. I have not changed my diet over this period and my exercise level actually decreased significantly due to not being able to go to the gym or play softball.

I do believe that if you are on a statin, which I am, will lower both LDL and HDL.

I just ran across research that shows biotin can raise HDL and lower LDL, when taken in combination with chromium. I don't have access to the full report, so I don't know the doses involved. Does your multi contain biotin or chromium?

Some people have naturally high HDL. At one point DH was over 100! He's usually at least in the 80s.

I just ran across research that shows biotin can raise HDL and lower LDL, when taken in combination with chromium. I don't have access to the full report, so I don't know the doses involved. Does your multi contain biotin or chromium?

Yes, it has both biotin and chromium.

My last physical (5/18/20) Lipid Panel results:

CHOLESTEROL 165

TRIGLYCERIDES 47

HDL CHOLESTEROL 66

CALC LDL CHOL 86

No meds taken for this, not really watching my diet (which is pretty bad due to lockup), doing nothing special, just walking a lot. Age 76, A1C was 5.2.

DW, on the other hand, has high cholesterol and takes meds. Goes to show what differences can be had even with the same diet (both of us eat the same stuff). Surely her high C (well over 200) is genetic.
Genetically superior [emoji846]

Some people have naturally high HDL. At one point DH was over 100! He's usually at least in the 80s.

That's me.
Although it's impossible to separate out lifestyle influence as I am a lifelong endurance athlete and have always maintained a reasonably good diet.
My HDL is always higher than my LDL with a high print of 117.

In my own case, mine was generally in the 50s until I started a LCHF diet. Since then it has been in the 80s.

DW has HDL levels that were all over the map, and when she started reducing her carbs they have pretty much stabilized in the 80s.

I have read that exercise can also have a beneficial effect on HDL levels, but I'm not sure exactly how that works.
Likewise. Mine went from the 40s to 70s on low carb. Of course my total LDL skyrocketed too.

I just ran across research that shows biotin can raise HDL and lower LDL, when taken in combination with chromium.

Just an FYI: I recently read something that said biotin can mess up a PSA reading, so they recommend stopping it at least 72 hours before a PSA blood test.

Just an FYI: I recently read something that said biotin can mess up a PSA reading, so they recommend stopping it at least 72 hours before a PSA blood test.

Biotin can also affect TSH and D3 test results. I wonder why it has this effect on so many tests...

Yeah, mine also went way up with a LCHF diet. So did my LDL. And my triglycerides dropped dramatically, so my Trig/HDL ratio became stellar.

Yes before LCHF I saw improvement with regular exercise.

I have read that niacin raises HDL and lowers LDL. My HDL is low. I am giving it a try.

As you know, I am trying LCHF ketogenic diet myself.

Time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom