Testosterone treatment?

Yes. Yes if you are talking about prescription treatment I've been on gel for years. Awesome product when properly used. I live at altitude, there are issues with supplemental T at altitude, so certain bloodwork needs done.

Results? Very good. I spent a year off of treatment after moving and finding a competent doctor. Wow, I lost an entire year to depression and blah.

Last edited:
I've known a few older guys (50+) who have used it under a doctor's supervision because of medical conditions that damaged their body's ability to manufacture sufficient androgens. Their the goal is to get one's hormone level to what is normal for one's age.

Interestingly, most use a shot a few times a month. Apparently, it's cheaper, and it eliminates 'contamination' issues when in physical contact with others, especially children and the fairer sex.

The big problem is the abuse of this drug by the extreme body building guys (and even some gals). Most T websites are about developing abnormally BIG muscles and a rather brutish look. Or, old guys trying to get 'juiced' to 20 year old levels. Not so good.

I’ve been on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) for a couple of years now, due to some long term medical issues. I started out using gels and creams, but they didn’t seem to work for me very well. I now do weekly injections which are working pretty well at keeping my levels about where they should be (for a guy my age).

I’m not trying to get “juiced” as Chuckanut mentions, but trying to avoid some of the real downsides of low-t, including osteoporosis. I do feel better most of the time since starting injections and find that I’m not fatigued nearly as much as I was pre-TRT.

Anyone out there who is considering testosterone supplementation should get checked out by their doctor first. This is definitely not a DIY project. I have my hormone levels checked regularly by my doctor, who has made quite a few adjustments to fine tune my treatment.

Been on shots (100mg) for about four months. Started with every other week but my levels were still below average so was switched to every week. As txtig says you have to get blood work done more frequently but I definitely feel better.

I have Prostate cancer.

My cancer has been very aggressive and fast-spreading. My initial procedure was to surgically remove the prostate and its connective nerves. Then a few years later the cancer came back.

Prostate cancer goes into a growth stage in the presence of testosterone. So we had to put me on Chemical Castration. I am not allowed to have any testosterone.

Then we did a year of radiation treatment.

I have now completed two years without testosterone, and I have come off the chemical castration. But we can not test for the presence of cancer until after all of the chemical castration drug has flushed out of my system.

My message to all men out there is to be very careful when messing with testosterone. And get your PSA levels tested every year.

I had no symptoms from my cancer, everything worked just fine. My cancer was detected during my annual checkup blood tests.

Can testosterone treatments increase risk for prostate or testicular cancers? That has always been my concern.

Edited: My original question was posted at the same time as Offgrid Organic Farmer's post. I wish him a speedy recovery and pray for the best outcome.

Last edited:
If you’re gonna jump in here and make a strong implication like that, I’d like a little more than a hint.
I haven't read this particular source but can guess from the title that it contains elements of the same old story. There is money to be made in selling things. In order to make money selling things, one does better if they create a 'need' for the thing they are selling or make the pool of potential consumers larger. And with the addition of OOF's observation that this 'thing' that is being sold is a potent stimulator of growth in the human body and sometimes (frequently in adults?) that is a (very) bad thing. Of course, I haven't read the article and may have it completely wrong.

I have Prostate cancer.

My cancer has been very aggressive and fast-spreading. My initial procedure was to surgically remove the prostate and its connective nerves. Then a few years later the cancer came back.

Prostate cancer goes into a growth stage in the presence of testosterone. So we had to put me on Chemical Castration. I am not allowed to have any testosterone.

Then we did a year of radiation treatment.

I have now completed two years without testosterone, and I have come off the chemical castration. But we can not test for the presence of cancer until after all of the chemical castration drug has flushed out of my system.

My message to all men out there is to be very careful when messing with testosterone. And get your PSA levels tested every year.

I had no symptoms from my cancer, everything worked just fine. My cancer was detected during my annual checkup blood tests.

Ouch, sorry to hear... hope everything works out for you..

I had a urinary tract infection and had to get a catheter... not fun... got a PSA and it was elevated... Dr said to wait a month and get another... now waiting for results...

I second the PSA testing.... just some blood and it might save your life..

I was on shots for a few months... I did not see any improvement... also did not like the shots...

The downside was I was gaining weight... and I do not think muscle :facepalm:

I will look into it again next year on new insurance and see about an implant of something under your skin... just read a quick thing from the Dr but have not read much...

I’ve heard testosterone described as being a “fertilizer” for prostate cancer cells, if one has any of them in his body.

8 years on active surveillance for non aggressive, low volume PC, PSA <4.0. My testosterone is always around the midpoint 554 ng/dl on my blood labs.

My dad was just diagnosed with what Offgrid went through. He his prostate removed due to prostate cancer about 18 years ago. A couple weeks ago he was having trouble peeing and he went to the ER, and they found tumors in the same area, and also one in his chest, so it has spread. He sees a radiation oncologist to either start or set a plan for hormones to reduce or eliminate testosterone, and radiation. At 86 he's not sure he even wants to treat it, but he would like to outlive my mom who is in memory care. He is also confusing chemo, which they aren't doing, with radiation. My sister is going with him to keep the options straight.

Yes, prostate cancer cells are the type to feed off testosterone. After his first bout, Dad decided he didn't want to go through all that again so he told his doc not to test his PSA, for the last ~18 years. They did at the hospital and it was 350. Over 4 or 5 is worrisome, and over 100 is almost definitely cancer. 350 sounds way off the charts but his doc has seen at least one case over 1000. I get that whatever exploratory methods they use when you have high PSA can cause a lot of problems, and it may not be cancer at all, but it seems like a steadily increasing PSA should be taken seriously. Mine just went over 1 for the first time, last year. I will continue to have it checked.

My dad was just diagnosed with what Offgrid went through. He his prostate removed due to prostate cancer about 18 years ago. A couple weeks ago he was having trouble peeing and he went to the ER, and they found tumors in the same area, and also one in his chest, so it has spread. He sees a radiation oncologist to either start or set a plan for hormones to reduce or eliminate testosterone, and radiation. At 86 he's not sure he even wants to treat it, but he would like to outlive my mom who is in memory care. He is also confusing chemo, which they aren't doing, with radiation. My sister is going with him to keep the options straight.

Yes, prostate cancer cells are the type to feed off testosterone. After his first bout, Dad decided he didn't want to go through all that again so he told his doc not to test his PSA, for the last ~18 years. They did at the hospital and it was 350. Over 4 or 5 is worrisome, and over 100 is almost definitely cancer. 350 sounds way off the charts but his doc has seen at least one case over 1000. I get that whatever exploratory methods they use when you have high PSA can cause a lot of problems, and it may not be cancer at all, but it seems like a steadily increasing PSA should be taken seriously. Mine just went over 1 for the first time, last year. I will continue to have it checked.

Sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he come through OK. I am 77 and my PSA was 0.7 last physical exam. I have it tested annually. Every guy should do this test.

I was on it prior to a hospital stay. During my hospital time, I developed a blockage in my arm and it was recommended to cease treatments, although it was not clear whether that was caused solely by the TRT or from an IV feeding tube. After stopping, it took a while for my T levels to return to the low side of normal for my age, however, there was a loss of muscle mass and strength. When I was on the gel, I found Testim to be the most effective gel and it put my levels up around 800.

Back
Top Bottom