The future of meat

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Last edited:
Breakfast without bacon is like a day without sunshine

This substantially reduces my financial target for retirement. The 401k needs to last only until bacon is no longer produced, because after that life won't be worth living. :baconflag:

Seems to me that things like the Impossible Burger and its ilk are just as much "processed food products" as the dog/cat food we buy for our pets. So considering how popular they are becoming, I think those of us who still insist on real food are starting to become the minority. :facepalm:

Personally I think it is like a lot of things that are trendy for the IPO and a while until the novelty wears off :), then slowly they fall into the abyss.

I tired Beyond Meat burgers and they were pretty good. I am not convinced by the health arguments - there will probably be some additive that counters any potential health gains. But I am interested in the sustainability issues. If it looks like vegetable meat products, insect protein sources, or cultured tissues reduce our carbon footprint and/or significantly reduce our need to warehouse animals I would be happy to make the trade.

20+ years of being a veghead, for health, animal compassion, and ecological considerations. I haven't had a bleeding burger, but enjoy the fact that more veggie options are out there. My food tastes are simple and generally not heavily processed. Sorry no bugs for me except the few I eat while riding my quad around mi casa.

DW, my guests, and myself enjoy locally grass fed Black Angus beef, fattened the last month on locally grown corn by the same family, since 1993. So the future will be the same for us, supplemented by fryers from my sister, and seafood from the seafood shop in town. Our local source for pork stopped a few years ago when he stopped raising hogs.

No meat substitutes for me. I’m seeking out traditionally raised meat like grass-fed beef.

Last edited:
Th only processed foods we eat are the occasional frozen pizza. We are not likely to change as long as supplies last. We do enjoy some vegetarian meals but mainly because of the taste. Moussaka and eggplant lasagna are favourite choices when we eat at Greek restaurants.

Seems to me that things like the Impossible Burger and its ilk are just as much "processed food products" as the dog/cat food we buy for our pets. So considering how popular they are becoming, I think those of us who still insist on real food are starting to become the minority. :facepalm:

Too funny! Maybe the classic ER fear of ending up eating cat food under a bridge will come to some long before the money runs out, at least the cat food part.

I’m going to stick with the real, less processed option as long as possible. Oh, I do love meat, but I’ve learned to cook amazing veggie dishes. No fake meat for us, just lower consumption better quality real meat.

Remembrance of things past that have nothing to do with the subject. When one of my sons decided to run away from home some 50+ years ago... he returned home after a few days, with a great idea for saving money... He was living on cat food. :LOL:

Why try to call vegetable patties "meat"? They are perfectly good when marketed truthfully, as vegetable patties. I make them occasionally, from beans or rice with additions of all sorts. Now, I add an egg as a binder, but I'm not aiming for vegetarian, I'm aiming for vegetable patties. Historically, these were probably much more common than meat - pancakes with additions of various sorts. Tortillas with vegetables.

What makes me laugh is the fakery involved - why call it meat? We are getting close to Replicator Food, though, when comestibles can be broken down to molecule level and then reconstituted in identical form to the real thing. THEN, there might be a debate. Right now, no. The product is processed extruded plant proteins, or whatever.

I am a vegetarian. But not a strict vegetarian, I still eat beef, pork and chicken.

Me too.

Outside of beef, pork, chicken, shrimp, and fish, I am basically vegetarian.

Oh, forget about a loin of elk in the freezer. The other day, I ran across that in the market, with a label stating that it was farm raised in New Zealand. Did not see that often, so of course I had to buy it.

And I just discovered some meat sticks made with reindeer that I bought in the Alaska RV trek last year, then left it forgotten in the pantry. Vacuum sealed, so still good.

Oh, and duck and occasionally goose. And quail. Have not had the latter for a while.

PS. The reindeer meat sticks are for human consumption, not for cats like the ones I mistakenly ate as described in another thread. :)

PPS. And lamb! I knew I forgot something. Still have a couple of lamb shank, and one side of lamb rack.

Last edited:
I grow veggies and eat lots of them along with store bought, but I eat lots of meat(16 t-bone steaks in the freezer). Eggs and bacon every morning and have never been healthier. I steer clear of as much process ed food as possible.

Outside of beef, pork, chicken, shrimp, and fish, I am basically vegetarian.

Oh, forget about a loin of elk in the freezer. The other day, I ran across that in the market, with a label stating that it was farm raised in New Zealand. Did not see that often, so of course I had to buy it.

And I just discovered some meat sticks made with reindeer that I bought in the Alaska RV trek last year, then left it forgotten in the pantry. Vacuum sealed, so still good.

Oh, and duck and occasionally goose. And quail. Have not had the latter for a while.

PS. The reindeer meat sticks are for human consumption, not for cats like the ones I mistakenly ate as described in another thread. :)

PPS. And lamb! I knew I forgot something. Still have a couple of lamb shank, and one side of lamb rack.

Basically a vegeterian?! I was expecting a list of vegetables.

Basically a vegeterian?! I was expecting a list of vegetables.

:LOL:

I was paralleling the previous poster who says he is a vegetarian but still eats beef, pork, and chicken.

OK, about vegetables, I eat everything you find in the produce section of an American supermarket, including the less popular plants such as fennel, kohlrabi, jicama, chayote, tomatillo, daikon, etc...

Last edited:
We still eat meat but much smaller amounts.
Same here. I still enjoy a great prime steak now and then. But we eat more chicken, turkey and fish. And we’re eating Beyond Meat burgers and sausage regularly at home now for health and animal cruelty. The environmental impact and cost make beef less desirable for us.

We're also eating less meat for health reasons, plus animal cruelty and global warming. Sometimes we use tempeh or seitan instead of meat in stir fries. I try to buy a really wide range of fruit and vegetables each week for a healthy microbiome, as a diversity of plants seems to be good for gut bacteria.

Last edited:
Good thing you are eating that unprocessed bacon...

I do think there is a big difference in making your own bacon and buying chemical injected flavors and additives. Yes, adding salt, pink salt, pepper, brown sugar, molasses, or mustard to a bacon rub earlier in the preparation stage, but you might be adding the same ingredients to a dish when it is on your plate. Smoking is a preservation/flavoring technique, jury still out whether either is worse for carcinogens. But I do the same for homemade pastrami and ribs.

Back
Top Bottom