The knee 4 years later

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The good news: to keep my sugar down and reap the seemingly endless benefits -I have religiously stuck to my 1 hour daily walks and gave up all alcohol (I did have a 3 carb corona premium with my spaghetti) , I do pay attention to portion size and of course no Oreos or the like. No surprise I’ve lost over 20 pounds. Yes I can see my feet and am swimming in my clothes. I switched to a new smaller belt but still I have to work at it to keep my smallest jeans on.

The bad news my left knee (the surgeon introduced me to it 4 years ago) now makes a squishy sound if I’m sitting and get up.
The right is a silent partner. There is no discomfort mind you and otherwise everything feels fine.

Is my knee like a rattle ridden old Toyota? Still good for another 100k?

The decision to get the new knees was a good one - about 3 years not thinking about them says it all.

Last edited:
Congrats. Good to hear.
Now if Cool Hand Luke gets out of hand, you can chase him down.

Congrats. Good to hear.
Now if Cool Hand Luke gets out of hand, you can chase him down.

Cool Hand is home and has a week of remote college left. Seeing his bizarre work ethic and hours are difficult for this old guy.

An example of an all too common conversation.
CH: “I spent 5 hours on my computer science home work last night.”
Mom: “maybe you shouldn’t wait to the last minute” @11PM-4AM

Me: (silently) Sweet Moses!

Last edited:
Cool Hand is home and has a week of remote college left. Seeing his bizarre work ethic and hours are difficult for this old guy.

I like hearing about Cool hand as I have two home due to Covid doing the same thing. They are cranking on work most of the night and sleep in late. I try to remind myself that they have been doing well in school anyway and this is their routine. Hopefully this situation is temporary as I too get frustrated at what I perceive is laziness even though it not.

Wow--its been 4 years already? I remember your posts about it.
Congratulations on all of your lifestyle changes, ray!
Maybe call your surgeon to check in on the "squishy sound" to see if it's normal or a problem?? Good thing there is no pain, though.

Wow--its been 4 years already? I remember your posts about it.
Congratulations on all of your lifestyle changes, ray!
Maybe call your surgeon to check in on the "squishy sound" to see if it's normal or a problem?? Good thing there is no pain, though.

I thought maybe one of the tribe might have a similar experience

If his grades are good, it's all good. He's just on a different shift than his parents.

Glad your knees are working, although "squishy" isn't the sound I'd want to hear from a metal part. Better than "creaky," I guess.

Congratulations on 4 years! I had my left knee replaced 21 months ago and fortunately, no noises coming from it. I fully expected to have the right knee replaced within a year after, but began having no problems with the knee after the left was replaced. So in no rush to do it again.

I have noticed how much "looser" the replaced knee feels the past 6-8 months. Not loose in a bad way, just I catch myself moving it it around when I am sitting. I'm guessing all the inflammation and trauma from surgery and rehab have subsided and that is what I am experiencing. Like you, I have stepped up the walking and lost some lbs....especially during this quarantine. Any excuse to get outdoors!

Good luck, and maybe check in with your surgeon after all this virus stuff slows down.

Glad your knees are working, although "squishy" isn't the sound I'd want to hear from a metal part. Better than "creaky," I guess.

The knee has a rubber like component which is no doubt responsible for the noise.

My wife is coming up on the 2 year anniversary of her new knee. It was doing well until she decided to come upstairs in our new house--16 steps. The steps are hardwood and that bottom step looks like the floor. Both she and I have failed to make that last step twice and taken a fall. I try to count as I go down the steps.

Even Zena the Rottweiler has taken a fall down the steps. She slid down the steps and slid across the floor and about took out my grandfather clock with her head. We're going to a get carpet runner on the steps.

Her knee is grinding a little bit, and she's not doing nearly as well as prior to the falls. And it doesn't help that her pain management clinic is cutting back on pain meds to ridiculously low levels.

My wife is coming up on the 2 year anniversary of her new knee....
Her knee is grinding a little bit, and she's not doing nearly as well as prior to the falls.

I remember when I was in rehab for that first knee.. I went there on a winters day when the snow had melted the day before and froze overnight. The sidewalk was as slick as could be and I fell spectacularly. Arms flailing about -some screaming “Whoa...”
I landed squarely on my butt. Which by the way was still ample enough to break the fall... I must admit I now fear a fall always..

Back
Top Bottom