Toenails... again

Another vote here for pedicures for everyone. It's not just the nails that need maintenance! Your feet, and your spouses, will thank you.

Serious question: will they do pedicures for people with fungus issues? I suspect the answer is yes since you mention it, Aerides.

I've been reluctant to go. Maybe out of shame, but also not sure how they handle us.

Serious question: will they do pedicures for people with fungus issues? I suspect the answer is yes since you mention it, Aerides.

I've been reluctant to go. Maybe out of shame, but also not sure how they handle us.

Hmm not sure, as I've not had any fungus myself. But all (decent) places thoroughly sterilize and change water/tools, etc, for each client so it shouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't show up with any gaping wounds though.

It's truly a good thing to do though, it will help with callouses and rough skin on your heels and toes, and save your back, and actually have nice, even, trimmed nails and cuticles.

For women, the polish is just a finishing touch really, the last 10 minutes of a 45 minute treatment. I go for all the other stuff. It's a bit of a pampering, but far more rewarding than a manicure.

The problem I have is that I no longer bend as well as I used to so it's difficult to reach my toes with the clipper (Full disclosure: the spare tire doesn't help anything.) My old clippers still work, but to an extent, I'm doing it by braille. YMMV

Yes, I have 96 year old friend that that is enamored with the tools he has to help him put on his socks. He also says, Medicare pays for him to get his nails clipped.

He drives to pickup breakfast 6 days a week, and 3 more of us have breakfast within the restaurant one day a week. We are sure he should not drive, but, just 2 weeks ago, he bought a brand new SUV. :blush:

I filed down the whole thickened part of the nail, which made it easier to clip. By which I mean I took a metal nail file and worked on the whole visible surface of the nail to reduce the thickness and get it even thinner than a healthy nail. For me, that made it easier to see the parts that could be clipped, and mostly eliminated the shattering I got trying to cut the thickened nail. Once I did that and was able to cut away the detached parts, that helped...although I did take Lamisil for 90 days, but last time I had to take it for 180 days, and it still came back on one of the two nails, so I think the filing and trimming helped.

Hmm not sure, as I've not had any fungus myself. But all (decent) places thoroughly sterilize and change water/tools, etc, for each client so it shouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't show up with any gaping wounds though.

It's truly a good thing to do though, it will help with callouses and rough skin on your heels and toes, and save your back, and actually have nice, even, trimmed nails and cuticles.

For women, the polish is just a finishing touch really, the last 10 minutes of a 45 minute treatment. I go for all the other stuff. It's a bit of a pampering, but far more rewarding than a manicure.

DW is a retired nail tech. She said if someone has fungus and they wanted a manicure it's no problem, everything is discarded after your visit. She doesn't remember the best practices for pedicures, as she didn't do many, but says she wouldn't provide services because of soaking.

Another comment is if you're frequently treating fungus with your artificial nails, get a new tech.

With arthritis in my hands and one knee, trimming toenails can be difficult. I go to pedicures occasionally, but I have very ticklish feet!

Does anyone have experience with a good personal dremel for nails that you can use or a good clipper for arthritic hands?

For my mom's last decade, I cut her nails every month or two. She would soak her feet in a dishpan of warm water for 20 minutes beforehand, and when I showed up her nails were relatively soft and easy to cut.

I use warm water and epsom salts. Makes my nails and feet soft, I never go long enough that a point file (remember those) doesn't do the job.

My left big toe tells when it's time for clipping (normally around 75 days)
When it starts to have very mild pain on the right side, it's time.

I soak in the tub for about 45 minutes. About halfway through, I take my clippers & flick up the 2 sides of each toenail.

After the 45 minutes is up, I set on the side of my bed, place a towel on top of the step folding stool shown in the link below (makes reaching much easier) & start clipping. Since I have to vacuum up the toenails on the floor, it's also my signal to vacuum the entire bedroom.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Safety-1...ol-Lightweight-Black-Platinum-Color/159713450

I haven't tried those because they are not a "cure," however, I think it is worth a shot to knock things back and at least get the nail looking more normal.

BTW: I looked this up on Amazon and the customer images came pouring it. They were both useful and disgusting.:yuk:

My mom had those. (BTW, thanks for the fungus, mom.) I thought about using my wire cutters, because that's what they look like.

Not sure what you mean by it's not a cure. Completely wiped mine out and it was gone for over 5 years before returning, most likely due to some carelessness on my part. Now I know of some people who do the grinding only for cosmetic reasons without applying any sort of topical. Not sure anything can be classified as a permanent cure, though.

Oh and if you think the amazon pictures are a bit disgusting, try watching some of the podiatrist channels on youtube! :)

Cheers.

Last edited:
After the 45 minutes is up, I set on the side of my bed, place a towel on top of the step folding stool shown in the link below (makes reaching much easier) & start clipping. Since I have to vacuum up the toenails on the floor, it's also my signal to vacuum the entire bedroom.
Brings back memories of a roommate -- and the reason I swore off roommates forever more after that. We were watching TV, and this roommate was blathering on while cutting his toenails. As a young person would do, he curled his foot to his stomach and cut the nails. While still blathering on, he stood up, brushed off the pile of nail trimmings to the floor, and sat down while we tried to watch TV. But me and the other roommates instead couldn't take our eyes off the pile of nails in the carpet.

It was disgusting. He never helped vacuum or anything either.

Not sure what you mean by it's not a cure. Completely wiped mine out and it was gone for over 5 years before returning, most likely due to some carelessness on my part. Now I know of some people who do the grinding only for cosmetic reasons without applying any sort of topical. Not sure anything can be classified as a permanent cure, though.

Oh and if you think the amazon pictures are a bit disgusting, try watching some of the podiatrist channels on youtube! :)

Cheers.

Yeah, I need to give it a try. I just parroted what I've heard doctors say about these treatments. The fungus is never eliminated, so you are not officially cured.

But you know what? Remission counts too. I have friends with various cancers who are not "cured," but have lived good lives for decades with what can be considered a minor chronic condition.

I will give it a try and see if I get a few years relief.

Brings back memories of a roommate -- and the reason I swore off roommates forever more after that. We were watching TV, and this roommate was blathering on while cutting his toenails. As a young person would do, he curled his foot to his stomach and cut the nails. While still blathering on, he stood up, brushed off the pile of nail trimmings to the floor, and sat down while we tried to watch TV. But me and the other roommates instead couldn't take our eyes off the pile of nails in the carpet.

It was disgusting. He never helped vacuum or anything either.

Yeah, I need to give it a try. I just parroted what I've heard doctors say about these treatments. The fungus is never eliminated, so you are not officially cured.

But you know what? Remission counts too. I have friends with various cancers who are not "cured," but have lived good lives for decades with what can be considered a minor chronic condition.

I will give it a try and see if I get a few years relief.

Good luck! One thing is that you really need to stay on it. I was applying twice a day. Given that it's something vinegar-like, you might get some slight burning on the skin around the toenail.

Regarding the roommate, yikes! Reminds me of a trip I made on a plane from Bejing to Hong Kong. There was a woman sitting in the middle seat between me and my colleague who was cutting off her cuticles on each finger leaving a surrisingly large pile on her tray. Hard pass when mealtime came around...

I use https://www.nonyx.com/ It's available at walmart. It's slow to get rid of it with the help of cutting the nail and scraping ?ketosis. I use it after every shower even when the fungus is gone to keep it at bay.

Toe Nail Trouble

I give my husband pedicures and he has the THICKEST (Big) Toenails with a little bit of fungus in and around them. My method is this: I use those strong files that a manicurist would use on fake nails. I pinch the side of his toe with my left hand to expose the nail as best as I can then I File Away and bring that nail down to an appropriate size. There's toenail dust so wear a mask! Then I use other lighter sanding files to even out the roughness. I make his big toes smooth and nice, then I hand buff them so they look natural and shiny. I file and even out all his other toenails after that. THEN I have him soak his feet in a tub of hot water where I have put a capful of HEXOL (remember Hexol?) in it. I have one foot at a time in my lap and I then put cuticle remover around his cuticles. I push and trim and clean around each toe. I scrub his heels with a pumice block, rinse in the water then I give him a little foot massage. I dry off his toes and >>THIS IS THE BEST>>>I rub VICK"S VAPO-RUB around his big toes. This will stop the fungus. And he has this on his dresser to put it on every time he is barefoot.
He fights me when this all needs to be done, but when I am finished, he walks like just got a set of new feet! :dance:

I give my husband pedicures and he has the THICKEST (Big) Toenails with a little bit of fungus in and around them. My method is this: I use those strong files that a manicurist would use on fake nails. I pinch the side of his toe with my left hand to expose the nail as best as I can then I File Away and bring that nail down to an appropriate size. There's toenail dust so wear a mask! Then I use other lighter sanding files to even out the roughness. I make his big toes smooth and nice, then I hand buff them so they look natural and shiny. I file and even out all his other toenails after that. THEN I have him soak his feet in a tub of hot water where I have put a capful of HEXOL (remember Hexol?) in it. I have one foot at a time in my lap and I then put cuticle remover around his cuticles. I push and trim and clean around each toe. I scrub his heels with a pumice block, rinse in the water then I give him a little foot massage. I dry off his toes and >>THIS IS THE BEST>>>I rub VICK"S VAPO-RUB around his big toes. This will stop the fungus. And he has this on his dresser to put it on every time he is barefoot.
He fights me when this all needs to be done, but when I am finished, he walks like just got a set of new feet! :dance:

Now, that is love!:smitten:

I've fully embraced my geezerhood and got me a LONG toenail clipper. No more bending over and hoping for the best.

Does it work for you? I like the idea, but I usually need two hands to "feel" my way to the nail. Otherwise, I tend to get the flesh along with the nail. Not good to snip off the tip of your toe!:eek:

Does it work for you? I like the idea, but I usually need two hands to "feel" my way to the nail. Otherwise, I tend to get the flesh along with the nail. Not good to snip off the tip of your toe!:eek:

Haven't used it yet. Assembled and have it ready. Stay tuned for further updates

Haven't used it yet. Assembled and have it ready. Stay tuned for further updates

Definitely want an update!
Not sure I could use this without catching some flesh.

Definitely want an update!
Not sure I could use this without catching some flesh.

I'd need a type of binoculars to see what I'm doing.

Back
Top Bottom