Tooth Implants

I've had four implants over the years, oldest is probably 15 yrs old. No problems with any.

My wife and daughters have good teeth, unlike me. We joke that with three women in the family, I'm the only one with "implants".

From my reading/research (son has had two ameloblastoma tumors removed from his jaw) the issue of whether you need a bone graft or not depends a lot on whether you have a solid/healthy jaw.

If you have a good solid jaw, they can drill and implant the post, and use bone powder to fill in. If your jaw is medium solid they may be able to do it with bone chips and bone powder.

If you don't have enough strength in your jaw - they have to do a bone graft.

My son had a conservative surgery - they didn't take out the entire section of mandible, but did scoop out 60% of his jaw diameter on the first surgery and more like 75% on the second one. (Jaw had regrown completely after the first surgery by the time of the 2nd surgery 4 years later.)

If he'd had the more radical surgery (which will happen if the tumor returns) then they'll take a piece of his fibula, put in the posts, put that fibula with posts, along with what looks like a stainless steel bike chain to replace the section of mandible removed.

We're hoping it doesn't come to that... and waiting to see what happens and looking at implants for the 4 molars he lost to the ameloblastoma tumor.

We're hoping it doesn't come to that... and waiting to see what happens and looking at implants for the 4 molars he lost to the ameloblastoma tumor.

Best of luck, but at least be glad he's still young. If that happened to an older person there might not be any good options.

The trick is finding a good doctor/clinic outside of the US. I saw a few when I was in La Paz, Mexico but have no idea of the quality. Unlike the US, if it goes bad, you're not going to get recompense in the courts (which is one reason it's cheaper).

I once watched a train-wreck Netflix series called "Botched-up Bodies" that showed some of the disasters from medical/dental tourism. Some of the implant jobs were just awful- I think I might have been able to do better with a couple of hours of instructional videos on YouTube.

Unfortunately, patients don't have as much protection as they think in the U.S. Unlike medical screwups, proving dental negligence is much more difficult with a higher burden of proof on the patient and far lower payouts.

Many attorneys won't take dental cases on contingency. I had terrible care years ago that screwed up my dental health for life, but couldn't get anywhere. Several attorneys told me it would cost me more in legal fees than it was worth to pursue it.

Went to the dentist today and found I'm also going down the implant path. Cracked off a tooth from the top to below the gum line. Got a constant infection going on and the dentist recommends extraction and implant. Got an appointment with the tooth puller next week.

Yeah, cost estimated around 5 grand. Woo-Hoo, Blow That Dough - :)

From my reading/research (son has had two ameloblastoma tumors removed from his jaw) the issue of whether you need a bone graft or not depends a lot on whether you have a solid/healthy jaw.

If you have a good solid jaw, they can drill and implant the post, and use bone powder to fill in. If your jaw is medium solid they may be able to do it with bone chips and bone powder.

If you don't have enough strength in your jaw - they have to do a bone graft.

I think you are correct. In my case I needed a bone graft. The doctor who did the implant work (MD) did not expect to have to do a graft. He did several "tests" and scans in advance and said I had very good bone density, no apparent issues near the tooth, etc. But when he went to install the post he could not get it to hold so he did a graft. It was no big deal. He just put some bone powder, as you put it, in the hole and sent me home for about 3 months. There was no extra charge and he even admitted that he may have misjudged and should have drilled a bit differently.

The only thing it changed about the procedure was adding about 3 months. When I went back after the graft there were no issues setting the post.

I have a missing tooth (not visible) from a botched crown over 20 years ago. I asked my former dentist, the one I liked, if I should get an implant. He said it was a personal decision but added he has been missing the same tooth for over 30 years and he has not would not get an implant.

All in all, I found the implant process very smooth and pain free in spite of my complication! Like any surgery, I would not blindly trust any doctor without references of some sort but I don't think it is fair to suggest that foriegn doctors/dentists that are cheaper are somehow inferior. The dentist who messed up my crown and caused me to lose a tooth was Indian but educated at a good school in the US. The dentist who fixed it was Cuban, educated in Cuba, but practicing in the US. (Presumably he had to attend dental school again in the US but I'm not sure how that works.)

Unfortunately, patients don't have as much protection as they think in the U.S. Unlike medical screwups, proving dental negligence is much more difficult with a higher burden of proof on the patient and far lower payouts.

Many attorneys won't take dental cases on contingency. I had terrible care years ago that screwed up my dental health for life, but couldn't get anywhere. Several attorneys told me it would cost me more in legal fees than it was worth to pursue it.

I mentioned in my previous post that I lost a tooth due to a botched crown. My next dentist is the one who saw what had been done. But he said almost exactly what you said, even though it was almost certainly malpractice, there was probably little to be done about it. He suggested informing my insurance company, which I did, but they did not seem to care at all. The same company covered me both times but under different employers so different policies.

I'm on the last (and most expensive) leg of the three-part implant experience myself, having had a key chewing molar (that had already been through a root canal and an apioectomy and infection - very painful) pulled last February. I've got the post in and am due to have the crown/fake tooth made next month. Cost has been in line with what others are reporting here but I will likely have the crown down in Mexico. Here in Tucson we are less than 90 minutes from the Nogales border crossing, on the other side of which there are a horde of dentists. Many friends here have had all of their dental work done down there for years. Same thing when we lived in New Mexico; in Silver City NM there used to be what was locally called the "margarita and a crown" senior bus that drove to the Las Palomas border crossing monthly, let a horde of seniors cross over to get their dental work done, and then allowed time for a meal washed down with a margarita before the trip home to kill off any pain the novocaine hadn't addressed.

Sad reflection on the cost of U.S. health care but an option that can save many thousands of dollars. During our 5 years at Lake Chapala we met many people who had flown down there or to Puerto Vallarta to get a ton of work done (usually people that needed multiple crowns and/or implants), oftentacking on a week at the beach, and the total cost including airfare was still a fraction of U.S. prices. It's so popular there are even concierge services like this one:

https://coyotedental.com

I'm on the last (and most expensive) leg of the three-part implant experience myself, having had a key chewing molar (that had already been through a root canal and an apioectomy and infection - very painful) pulled last February. I've got the post in and am due to have the crown/fake tooth made next month. Cost has been in line with what others are reporting here but I will likely have the crown down in Mexico. Here in Tucson we are less than 90 minutes from the Nogales border crossing, on the other side of which there are a horde of dentists. Many friends here have had all of their dental work done down there for years. Same thing when we lived in New Mexico; in Silver City NM there used to be what was locally called the "margarita and a crown" senior bus that drove to the Las Palomas border crossing monthly, let a horde of seniors cross over to get their dental work done, and then allowed time for a meal washed down with a margarita before the trip home to kill off any pain the novocaine hadn't addressed.

Sad reflection on the cost of U.S. health care but an option that can save many thousands of dollars. During our 5 years at Lake Chapala we met many people who had flown down there or to Puerto Vallarta to get a ton of work done (usually people that needed multiple crowns and/or implants), oftentacking on a week at the beach, and the total cost including airfare was still a fraction of U.S. prices. It's so popular there are even concierge services like this one:

https://coyotedental.com

I grew up in southern Arizona and even 30-40 years ago it was common for people to get their dental care in Mexico. My dad worked for the federal government so we had insurance that only worked in the US so we never did that. But I would not hesitate to get work done in Mexico although I would want to look into the dentist and that could be challenging.

Central KY, cracked molar. First estimate one year ago. $5200 for extraction, graft, and implant, plus sedation. Also recommended laser gum treatment for periodontal disease at $5300. I decided to delay.

Second estimate last week after the molar with crown broke off at the gum line or a bit below. $2600 for extraction, graft, and implant with local anesthesia only. Doc says won't be any pain during the procedures. Also said my gums are in excellent condition with no sign of periodontal disease and to keep doing whatever I'm doing. Hmm.

Both periodontists recommended by my dentist with excellent online reviews. Both with same 6 month schedule from extraction to crown.

I believe my Dentist charges about $900 for a crown after the Dental Plan discount. The $200 annual family Dental Discount Plan is well worth it just for savings on cleaning, x-rays, and evaluation for DW and me. The rather substantial savings on any crowns is just gravy.

I grew up in southern Arizona and even 30-40 years ago it was common for people to get their dental care in Mexico. My dad worked for the federal government so we had insurance that only worked in the US so we never did that. But I would not hesitate to get work done in Mexico although I would want to look into the dentist and that could be challenging.

I agree. We live in a 55+ community here and have gotten referrals from others in the community who've been going to Nogales for years. There seems to always be a pretty active grapevine in any community within driving distance to a Mexican border. A lot of the implant dentists in Nogales have bilingual websites with testimonials and I've even had dentists we see in Tucson recommend specific dentists down there for expensive stuff like implants that insurance usually doesn't cover.

Doc says won't be any pain during the procedures.
I did not experience any pain at all. Local only, no sedation. I have had more pain during a cleaning! He recommended ibuprofen if I needed it. Last time I had major dental work the doctor insisted on writing me a script for an opiod. How times have changed!

The only weird part was that my gums grew up over the post so the surgeon had me come in right before my crown appointment with my dentist (literally right next door but not affiliated) When he trimmed the gum with a laser scalpal it did not hurt but I could smell th eburing flesh which was kind of freaky!

One thing no one has mentioned - they put me on a short duration, high dose antibiotic course before either the extraction or the post drilling. Apparently endocarditis is a potential side effect of the implant process. I don't recall what the antibiotic was but it was 4 big pills immediately before the procedure then one per day for 5 days as I recall.

I did not experience any pain at all. Local only, no sedation. I have had more pain during a cleaning! He recommended ibuprofen if I needed it. Last time I had major dental work the doctor insisted on writing me a script for an opioid. How times have changed!

The only weird part was that my gums grew up over the post so the surgeon had me come in right before my crown appointment with my dentist (literally right next door but not affiliated) When he trimmed the gum with a laser scalpel it did not hurt but I could smell the burning flesh which was kind of freaky!

Yes, I've had to have the implant uncovered. No big deal. I think it's actually a a good sign that your body is accepting the implant. And the first time I got an implant he gave me a prescription for 25 opioids- I forget which- with one refill!:D I shredded it but thought wistfully of how I might defray the cost of the implant by selling them. He stopped handing out the opioid prescriptions a few years ago.

And yes, I get antibiotics like SecondAttempt but just for a few days up to and including. I have mitral valve regurgitation and while I'm very careful about not over-using antibiotics, I didn't want to take any chances.

Back
Top Bottom