United Health may stop offering ACA Exchange plans

You have to remember that the policy does not automatically renew... you have to renew it yourself... and you can go with a different insurer if you want.

Not sure how they would do if you had a major problem such as a heart attack or stroke... one of the tricks for insurance is to just deny a claim....

Sure, I get that about renewing. But the 12 month long period surprised me. I assumed it would only be for gaps and not be a whole year.

Our ACA policies haven't renewed either. Every year they have changed the plan, forcing us to renew at some level. Last year the plan suddenly changed to copays and be came non-HSA compliant, forcing us to switch to another that still was HSA compliant. I couldn't believe they made such a drastic change. This year they dropped the plan altogether. Way more drastic even.

Heart attack - I guess they deal with what they can and insurance will cover and hope to make it to the open enrollment period.

Making a social change this big was/is a heavy lift. It needs carrots and sticks to work, but while people love the carrots (insurance coverage regardless of pre-existing conditions), they hate the stick (mandatory to buy insurance). So, politics being what they are, compromises were made to make it palatable. I guess this is why sausage making plants don't have windows onto the street.

The mysterious part was most of the weakening of the penalties and exemptions were done by executive order after the law was passed, not any compromising with partisan politics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sure, I get that about renewing. But the 12 month long period surprised me. I assumed it would only be for gaps and not be a whole year.

Our ACA policies haven't renewed either. Every year they have changed the plan, forcing us to renew at some level. Last year the plan suddenly changed to copays and be came non-HSA compliant, forcing us to switch to another that still was HSA compliant. I couldn't believe they made such a drastic change. This year they dropped the plan altogether. Way more drastic even.

In theory, if they offer the same plan from one year to the next, on an ACA-compliant policy the renewal should be automatic. But the problem is that if the specific plan is discontinued, more hoops!

With a short term plan, you have to deal with (usually abbreviated) underwriting every year. There are only a few questions to qualify initially, but if you develop a condition during the duration of the policy, that condition will often be excluded from coverage if you want to renew it.

I just looked, and saw that we could still buy non-ACA insurance for $220/month for 2, deductible of $5000. Caveat: pre-existing conditions not covered, lifetime limit of $1M.

That is not bad at all, darn cheap in fact! I used to pay 3x that for pre-ACA insurance with a $10K deductible, and the caveat was the same, I thought. What happened?

... With a short term plan, you have to deal with (usually abbreviated) underwriting every year. There are only a few questions to qualify initially, but if you develop a condition during the duration of the policy, that condition will often be excluded from coverage if you want to renew it.

Ah hah! That was it.

My former pre-ACA plan was more expensive because even when I developed some dreadful disease, as long as I paid the premium, they had to cover me unless they discontinued the plan. With the current short-term, they do not have to.

So, I went back and looked at the current supercheap plan, and indeed one could not get a policy with a coverage of longer than 184 days.

Last edited:
Mulligan and Ziggy - thanks for the explanation regarding short term health plans. It never occurred to me that these types of plans would be available. I can see the temptation to do this but I probably wouldn't consider it for myself (and there's no way my wife would pass underwriting).

Mulligan and Ziggy - thanks for the explanation regarding short term health plans. It never occurred to me that these types of plans would be available. I can see the temptation to do this but I probably wouldn't consider it for myself (and there's no way my wife would pass underwriting).

It wouldn't be for the timid, and it certainly wouldn't be my first option to save a buck. Besides, NW mentioned something that I thought was true also, but didn't mention. I have never heard of 12 month short term insurance. I thought 6 months was the max term also. When I had to purchase it once was a 3 month gap coverage I thought 6 was the limit. If 6 month is the limit, it would not work seamlessly with ACA anyways if you got denied when re upping in middle of the year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, I went back and looked at the current supercheap plan, and indeed one could not get a policy with a coverage of longer than 184 days.

I looked at short term plans for Arizona and didn't see any 12 month plans offered. All of the lower priced plans were for 6 months only, a couple plans were offered for 11 months but at a much higher cost.

Just throwing this out without a quote....

First, not everybody can get an ACA plan... there are people here that do not have the proper paperwork or whatever and still need want to buy insurance....

I do not know about today, but when I looked during the first year of ACA, they did have 12 months ST plans... I actually signed up for one but dropped it when they would not cover me for pre-existing conditions...

I don't understand how this works. Does it pay your hospital bills if you get sick?
The two most common types of non-ACA compliant are short term health and medical indemnity. You don't want a medical indemnity plan in this scenario because it pays a fixed rate per day or per illness/accident and not your medical bills.

Short term health plans are more similar to exchange plans in that they use a provider network, have a deductible and Maximum Out Of Pocket (MOOP). They're not ACA compliant because they're underwritten, not guaranteed renewable, can exclude pre-existing conditions, don't cover preventive services, don't have to include the deductible in the MOOP, and have caps of $1M-$2M per benefit period. Some plans have limited/no Rx coverage.

As Mulligan stated, the insurer isn't going to let you renew it if you use it a lot so you go back to an ACA exchange plan at the next AEP in those cases. Therefore, it's best to choose a 12 month short term plan that starts January 1. Or use an ACA plan for January and move to an 11 month ST plan in February.

Some of the UnitedHealth short term plans use their Choice Plus PPO provider network.

While there are 12 month short term plans available, mainly from UnitedHealth, a few states have regulations limiting them to 6 or 11 months. The eHealthInsurance website will only display what can be sold in your area. For example, if I enter a Houston zip code it will display 12 month plans but if I enter a SC zip code it displays 11 month plans. So, in SC you could use an ACA plan during January and move to a ST plan the remainder of the year.

Last edited:
UHC will not offer exchange plans in Georgia and Arkansas in 2017. They have until May 11th to decide on participation in other states.

Its withdrawals aren't likely to materially reduce competition in those states; four other carriers are staying on in Arkansas, and eight in Georgia. Whether United will withdraw from other states where it sold plans in 2016 is still unknown, as the last deadline nationwide for submitting proposals for 2017 plans isn't until May 11.

Here's how small a factor United has been:

In Georgia in 2015, United had 9,933 HMO enrollees, or a market share of 4.47%. UnitedHealthcare Life Insurance had another 825 members. The big players were Aetna, Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, and Humana, which had more than 200,000 customers, or more than 90% of the market, altogether. United, which hadn't even joined the Georgia ACA market until 2015, had sought a rate increase of 18.64% for 2016, but had to settle for 13.2%. Georgia was one of the states in which United canceled broker commissions for ACA insurance plans, which was a way to reduce its presence in the market even further.

Detailed figures aren't available for Arkansas, but indications are that it was trying to build its book of business from a very small base. The company had offered only off-exchange individual plans in 2015, when it signed up all of 521 customers. The company sought a rate increase of nearly 20% for those customers in 2016, so its competitiveness was probably not very high.
Reference: UnitedHealth starts pulling out of Obamacare, but will anybody notice--or care? - LA Times

Meanwhile, a former UHC CEO is starting a new health insurance company called Bright Health.
Reference: http://www.startribune.com/former-unitedhealth-exec-to-launch-new-health-plan/374830041/

First post.

We came from a decade (actually more) or corporate coverage with UnitedHealth. Paid several hundred a month as payroll deduction(s).

Once ACA online application was processed (easy peasy..) and once I had selected a comparable Silver Plan, was surprised to discover:

1) We pay only 32 / person / month for better coverage with 900 / annual max
2) We have access to all doctors we want to use
3) Even with a need to visit a doctor that insurance would consider "out of network", no big deal, we just inform front desk and they are happy to give us a cash rate, usually 65-120 for an office visit.
4) We have *both* a Subsidy *and* a Cost Reduction/Cost Sharing price reduction for services covered

Tell Us More

First post....

Is ACA relevant at all in Guam? If I understand correctly Medicare is valid. What about Medicaid or anything resembling it?

Can you tell us more about yourself and you current situation? I am particularly interested in your experience living in both Guam and the continental USA. Is Guam a reasonable destination for a non-military retirement location?

Trying to minimize my thread high jack, may I suggest a new post in the Hi, I am... section.

Welcome aboard!

We maintain a primary residence in lower 48. That is also, due to the law, why we use/have the ACA plan and also to comply with US tax regulations.

UHC will not offer exchange plans in Georgia and Arkansas in 2017. They have until May 11th to decide on participation in other states.

Reference: UnitedHealth starts pulling out of Obamacare, but will anybody notice--or care? - LA Times

Meanwhile, a former UHC CEO is starting a new health insurance company called Bright Health.
Reference: Ex-UnitedHealth exec to launch new health plan with $80M in funds - StarTribune.com

They just started operating in the Atlanta area with a subsidiary called Harken Health, which is a totally new experiment in managed care. All primary care visits are free and you get the UHC network of docs for everything else.

I thought about switching to them this year (we're with Humana on ACA now) but since they were new to the market, with new clinics etc., I figured I'd give them a year to shake things out. They are cheaper than Humana but we've had good service from Humana so far, perhaps I'll switch next year if Humana goes up substantially.

This is the clinic we would use, good story about Harken. Only drawback is having to switch primary care docs.

http://khn.org/news/unitedhealth-tries-boutique-style-health-plan/

Last edited:
Current list of states UHC will not have 2017 exchange participation:

Alabama
Arkansas
Colorado
Connecticut
Georgia (Harken Health subsidiary will continue)
Louisiana
Maryland
Michigan
Missouri
Nebraska
North Carolina
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
Tennessee
Texas
Washington

Confirmation of 2017 participation: New York, Nevada, Virginia

In North Carolina, a quarter of consumers will see the number of available exchange insurers drop to one for next year, according to an analysis from the Kaiser Family Foundation.
Reference: UnitedHealth to Exit Obamacare in 16 States to Stem Losses - Bloomberg

Here's an excellent analysis by KFF of how this move by UHC will impact some healthcare marketplaces. Summary article here, detailed analysis here.

Without UnitedHealth’s participation in 2016, monthly benchmark premiums for the second lowest cost silver plan for a 40 year-old would have been $25 to $100 higher in 304 of 3,142 counties in the U.S. and more than $100 higher in 13 counties. A UnitedHealth exit would likely affect premiums most in Alabama, Arizona, Iowa, Nebraska and North Carolina, the analysis finds.
While UHC was not a major competitor in most areas it frequently offered one of the policies upon which the subsidy is calculated (second lowest cost silver).

Current list of states UHC will not have 2017 exchange participation:

Alabama
Arkansas
Colorado
Connecticut
Georgia (Harken Health subsidiary will continue)
Louisiana
Maryland
Michigan
Missouri
Nebraska
North Carolina
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
Tennessee
Texas
Washington

Confirmation of 2017 participation: New York, Nevada, Virginia

Anything on Florida?

Medicare?

Will UHC still have Medicare policies next year? I have been looking for this answer in this thread. The reason I am asking is I was planning on getting a UHC plan when I join Medicare in September. I don't want to get a plan that will be dropped.

My Humana Medicare plan was severely limited in participating doctors this year. As you might guess, they didn't go out of their way to let the participants know.

I think UHC's approach to ACH might be a better approach than Humana's for Medicare.

So Medicare plans are following the ACA plans and severely shrinking their networks of doctors, clinics, labs, and hospitals? I know my employer-provided insurance has been deteriorating and shrinking since 2007, before Obama and ACA came along.

While UHC was not a major competitor in most areas it frequently offered one of the policies upon which the subsidy is calculated (second lowest cost silver).

Which isn't a big deal if you're getting a subsidy, right? If the price of the SLCSP goes up then your subsidy increases in lock step.

I'm on UHC's silver plan in NC (as is my MIL) and we'll be losing that coverage in 2017 it seems. Down to Aetna and BCBS (though the latter has grumbled about pulling out). Both seem like reasonable choices, and if I'm paying the same premium based on % of income I suppose I'm indifferent if the policy costs $1100/mo or $5000/mo (assuming price goes up with less competition).

UHC leaving ACA may not make a big difference:

While it would appear that United Health's exit would radically change the game for the ACA exchanges, the impact may not be that significant.

For one thing, United Health never really entered these marketplaces head first. In fact, as of March 31, the company insures only 750,000 of the more than 12 million people enrolled in Obamacare.

In fact, according to the nonpartisan Kaiser Family Foundation, which focuses on healthcare policy, the impact on enrollees' premiums and competition would not be substantial.

"The effect of a United withdrawal nationally would be modest," said a study by Cynthia Cox and Ashley Semanskee of Kaiser. "The national weighted average benchmark silver plan would have been roughly 1% higher in 2016 had United not participated (less than $4 per month for an unsubsidized 40-year-old)."

Cox and Semanskee found that United offered mostly high-cost plans in just 34 states in the US as of 2016, so by removing itself from the exchanges the impact would not be as significant as you may think in terms of increased cost or limited choice.

In terms of competition, if United does remove itself from all exchanges Cox and Semanskee found that 53% of all counties covered by exchanges would have only one or two exchanges. While this is significant, most counties with limited options are more rural and less populated. Therefore, the total number of people with limited choice is still relatively low.

Here's Cox and Semanskee (emphasis added):

If United exits everywhere (again, with the exception of Harken Health in Georgia), the number of Marketplace enrollees with access to only one or two exchange insurers would increase (from 1.9 million to 3.8 million or from 15% to 30% of all enrollees), and the number of enrollees with only one insurer would also increase (from 303 thousand to 1.4 million or from 2% to 11% of all enrollees). Still, the vast majority of Marketplace enrollees (8.9 million or 70% of enrollees nationally) would continue to have a choice of three or more insurers, even in the absence of United.

8862 figure 22
Kaiser Family Foundation

This isn't to say that there won't be an impact on some people trying to gain health insurance through exchanges. As the researchers note, the move will disproportionately impact those in rural areas in some Southern states. But, in aggregate, the removal of United from Obamacare isn't a massive shift for costs or competition.

"On average nationally, based on our analysis of 2016 insurer premiums, United’s participation on the exchanges had a relatively small effect on premiums," concluded the study.

"As a result, the weighted average benchmark premium would have been roughly 1% higher had United not participated in 2016 (not accounting for the possible effect changes in insurer participation may have had on pricing behavior or the potential for new entrants to the market)."

Now, as Cox and Semanskee note, the long-run effects of this move are a bit more uncertain. Insurers in communities with less competition could begin raising prices, but there are some provisions in the ACA that would prevent tha

Impact of United Health leaving Obamacare - Business Insider

Which isn't a big deal if you're getting a subsidy, right?
Maintaining competition between insurance companies is a big deal if we want to keep costs down and if we care about the total federal budget impact of those subsidies.

Back
Top Bottom