Can my older husband be denied medigap?

Stwicky

Dryer sheet aficionado
My sister is seeking to retire. She turned 65 earlier this year and her husband is 79 with serious health problems. He has Part A medicare only and he has been under her work provided healthcare while she has continued to work.

She is eligible for open enrollment for Medicare but does this life change (her retirement) mean that he is eligible for open enrollment and that he cannot be denied a Medigap plan? He has serious and ongoing medical issues and she is convinced that she needs to continue to work so that he continues to have her work provided medical insurance. Any insight would be helpful.

As long as he had "creditable coverage" under her employer's insurance they'll be fine. (Most employer plans fall into this category.) We had the same situation when I retired. HR provided a creditable coverage letter and DH got a supplement easily.

I had a similar situation. I took SS at 65, but still worked and had medical coverage.
There was an SS form my employer filled out showing I had medical coverage until I retired, and that got me Medicare.

As long as he had "creditable coverage" under her employer's insurance they'll be fine. (Most employer plans fall into this category.) We had the same situation when I retired. HR provided a creditable coverage letter and DH got a supplement easily.

Do you know if there would be any "underwriting" to determine the price in these situations (less than stellar health) , or would that be protected too if you have creditable coverage documentation.

Thanks
-gauss

Last edited:
Do you know if there be any "underwriting" to determine the price in these situations (less than stellar health) , or would that be protected too if you have creditable coverage documentation.

Thanks
-gauss

Protected.

Back
Top Bottom