Unusual phone request from UHC/AARP

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I’ve had the MediGap G from AARP/UHC for 5 years. Yesterday they called and asked if I would “answer some questions about my health so they can better serve me”. The interview time estimate was 5 minutes, so it’s more than just a couple of questions. I declined.

I’m used to getting these calls regarding my mum’s Medicare Advantage policy, which I manage for her. It has nothing to do with “better serving her”. The purpose is create a different health profile that leads to the insurer getting a bigger payment from Medicare.

That doesn’t apply to MediGap policies, their only income is the premium we pay. So, what is the objective with this call? The only things that come to mind for me are 1) They want me to join a Medicare ACO, or 2) They want to sell me a Medicare Supplement plan.

I suspect it is the second, they want to sell me on MA, because they make more $ that way. I think the ACO is not likely, mostly because it benefits providers, not insurers. I can’t think of another reason.

Needless to say, I’m not anxious to giving them this info just to find out the purpose. Info given to an insurer stays with them forever and can be used for any purpose, and I expect UHC to act in its best interest, not mine.

Has anyone else on MediGap received calls from their insurer asking to create a health profile?

Yes, I had one just yesterday. I just hang up and block the number.

Good move! We will decline.

I’m not on Medicare yet but I get really miffed when someone from BCBS calls and tries to talk me into scheduling a home visit by a nurse for a checkup, blah blah blah. What an invasion of privacy! I point out that I get annual checkups and bloodwork with my PCP, but they keep pushing this “benefit”.

It has pretty much has devolved to - I’ve stated before I don’t want this and to not call me about it any more.

I got one of those calls a while back. They left a message. I never called back. I suspect you are right that they want to see if you are a "candidate" for a MA plan.

No, not on Medicare yet - but DH has been contacted by his carrier with the offer of a nurse to "assist" him with a healthy lifestyle. (Probably with the goal of cutting their costs.)

I’ve had the MediGap G from AARP/UHC for 5 years. Yesterday they called and asked if I would “answer some questions about my health so they can better serve me”. The interview time estimate was 5 minutes, so it’s more than just a couple of questions. I declined.

I’m used to getting these calls regarding my mum’s Medicare Advantage policy, which I manage for her. It has nothing to do with “better serving her”. The purpose is create a different health profile that leads to the insurer getting a bigger payment from Medicare.

That doesn’t apply to MediGap policies, their only income is the premium we pay. So, what is the objective with this call? The only things that come to mind for me are 1) They want me to join a Medicare ACO, or 2) They want to sell me a Medicare Supplement plan.

I suspect it is the second, they want to sell me on MA, because they make more $ that way. I think the ACO is not likely, mostly because it benefits providers, not insurers. I can’t think of another reason.

Needless to say, I’m not anxious to giving them this info just to find out the purpose. Info given to an insurer stays with them forever and can be used for any purpose, and I expect UHC to act in its best interest, not mine.

Has anyone else on MediGap received calls from their insurer asking to create a health profile?

Got one of those calls and it went to voicemail. Deleted the voicemail and done with it.

How about telling them they should supplement gym memberships and other exercise equipment/programs since that will likely reduce their net costs.

How about telling them they should supplement gym memberships and other exercise equipment/programs since that will likely reduce their net costs.

My mom has a UHC plan through AARP and they do pay toward gym membership.

I don’t understand the animosity toward calls like this. We aren’t on Medicare and our insurers send us info and call us about various programs to better manage our health and live healthier lifestyles.

My mom gets an annual home visit from UHC. I think that’s a great idea. A lot can be learned from a home visit that isn’t obvious in an office visit. Seeing where and how someone lives can go a long way to offering services and products that can benefit them.

No. We're both on traditional Medicare with a BCBS Plan F supplement. No calls from anyone about anything health. We get occasional 'How Was Your Visit With Your Doctor' survey from his practice but nothing else.

Who knows if this is true as it was from the insurance company....

They called me when I was on an ACA plan... they could not change the premiums so I asked why....

I was told that they wanted to know what services they could recommend me getting to keep me healthy...

I said that my Dr had that job so I did decline their 'help'...

I got a call from UHC about a social connection type of service. They asked if I got their brochure about it in the mail. I did and I tossed it. The guy was too salesman type friendly and talked too slow. I said I’m not interested and hung up.

Then the same guy called back to talk to DH. I just hung up.

Besides actual people in my reality, I have plenty of internet connections. Not interested in an insurance company trying to find friends for me.

When I filled out the application I told them all my allergies and conditions. Did I also tell them I’m an INTROVERT!

Last edited:
My understanding is that Medicare Advantage providers get paid a per-capita fee that is based on each insured's medical condition and history. The point of these "helpful" interviews and visits is to uncover pre-existing conditions, events, and medical history that would justify the provider's receiving a bigger fee. It is not about benefiting the insured at all.

So that may explain some of these calls.

My understanding is that Medicare Advantage providers get paid a per-capita fee that is based on each insured's medical condition and history. The point of these "helpful" interviews and visits is to uncover pre-existing conditions, events, and medical history that would justify the provider's receiving a bigger fee. It is not about benefiting the insured at all.

So that may explain some of these calls.
I'm as cynical as the next guy, but it is very possible to both benefit the company and the patient.

Let's say the NP comes out for a home visit and finds that there is no shower chair and the patient explains that they have trouble getting up from the toilet, so the NP orders a shower chair and an elevated toilet seat. Costs the patient nothing and makes life a little better and safer for them, possibly preventing future falls which would cost the company far more than a couple of cheap pieces of medical equipment.

Good move! We will decline.

I’m not on Medicare yet but I get really miffed when someone from BCBS calls and tries to talk me into scheduling a home visit by a nurse for a checkup, blah blah blah. What an invasion of privacy! I point out that I get annual checkups and bloodwork with my PCP, but they keep pushing this “benefit”.

It has pretty much has devolved to - I’ve stated before I don’t want this and to not call me about it any more.

We get paid for the annual home visits, and we are doing them for now. We have nothing to hide at the moment. In a hour they are not going to uncover anything that our health providers do not already have that the insurance company can see. We are both healthy, mobile, no memory issues, and the house is well set up. I can see reconsidering this if we end up with some minor health situation that could mistranslated into something more serious.

I like that this topic was introduced. We haven't received any such calls (DW on traditional Medicare w/UHC Medigap). My knee jerk though was they were trying to convert you to Medicare Advantage. But I think we've got people here already on Advantage plans, and those calls are probably trying to help people and so concurrently save on claims (cheaper to install a rail than have you laid up with a broken hip).

I don’t understand the animosity toward calls like this. We aren’t on Medicare and our insurers send us info and call us about various programs to better manage our health and live healthier lifestyles.

My mom gets an annual home visit from UHC. I think that’s a great idea. A lot can be learned from a home visit that isn’t obvious in an office visit. Seeing where and how someone lives can go a long way to offering services and products that can benefit them.

In my OP I didn’t express animosity, I was asking if anyone else had these calls and could share some details or insights. My big concern is they ask for personal health information which they cannot discover from the claims submitted in my name, to “offer products that will better serve me”.

I am wary of health insurance companies and I think their history fully justifies a skeptical, distrustful approach. Their business model creates an enormous conflict of interest, and their interests, not ours, prevail. I would be concerned with what UHC will do with my health data.

If someone is not in my contacts the call goes to voicemail. Don’t kid yourself that an insurance company is looking out for your health. They are looking out for their bottom line. So far I haven’t received any calls but I’m on regular Medicare with a supplement.

I am too young to be on Medicare and have private off-exchange individual insurance. I get emails and postcards regularly asking me to get a home wellness checkup and for that I would get a $50 gift card. I have a concierge PCP and have a good handle on my health and see no need for someone to come check on me.

Here are a couple of threads discussing ACO

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/medicare-may-require-an-aco-hmo-by-2030-a-114299.html

https://www.early-retirement.org/fo...ional-medicare-to-advantage-plans-114780.html
Is this something that needs to be researched before signing on to a medicare supplemental plan? I still have over a year to go.
I think not. I brought it up only because I wanted to consider more that just one possibility for the phone calls.

As I understand ACOs, they are managed by providers, not insurers, so it’s most likely that one’s primary care physician would be the sponsor. In addition, when enrolled in traditional Medicare you are free to use any provider that accepts Medicare, so it can’t be forced on you and you can change providers anytime.

Back
Top Bottom