US road trip of 2 months, you get sick, what do you do?

LOL!

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm about to embark on long trip in my car. Suppose I feel bad and find out I have a fever above 102*F. Do I try to drive home as quickly as possible or do I go to a Doc-in-a-Box?

About 40 years ago, I ended up with the flu while visiting relatives. They kept me in bed and treated me well. I'm not sure what I would do nowadays.

Before our long trips I researched the docs and hospitals in network in the cities where we would be spending most time. We would be driving and staying in various places for 5 or 6 months at a time.

Luckily we only had one incident, when DW got sick. She recognised the symptoms as the start of a bladder infection so we immediately went to a doc in a box as it was a Sunday. He prescribed antibiotics and that cleared up the infection very quickly.

If one of us got sick at the very start, I'd go to urgent care right then (assuming primary Dr. could not fit us in), to see if it could be cleared up quickly with meds (as with the bladder infection Alan mentioned). I would ask the Dr. what to do next (stay or go on the trip). Mention any unrefundable prepaids.

If you get sick during your trip, it's still a matter of Urgent Care and deciding what is best for your health. If you have 102 degree fever, driving is not a good option (ask me how I know).

About 4 years ago, not long after ER, I did a short cross country road trip. I was planning to take 2-3 weeks driving from Florida to California. I made it as far as west Texas when I came down with a bug - cough plus 101.5 fever. In that case I felt well enough to drive 4-5 hours a day and just self medicated, got a lot of rest and fluids, and limped home over the next 3 days.... and then spent the next week and a half in bed sick as a dog.

In retrospect I think I did the right thing, but if I'd been even slightly sicker the option might not have been available and I'd have had to seek medical attention at whatever local facility was available. I'm really glad I didn't have to do this. Much better to be sick as a dog in one's own bed.

If you get sick or injured, just go to a quick care or hospital ER. I’ve never been sick on a road trip, but I fell and broke my wrist. Just went to the ER, got a cast and was on my way. I understand that being sick would be different, but I can’t think of a better way to remedy the situation than to see a doctor.

Are you traveling alone? A friend of ours is single and when he goes on a road trip or hunting/fishing trip we are his main backup if he gets sick. Four years ago he got the flu. He went to the urgent care and called us right away. My husband and another friend went to pick him up and his truck. There's always someone in our group that can take time off work for emergencies. I'm hoping he never gets sick when he's fishing in Alaska, now there's a road trip.

Came down with a terrible flu while in Europe one time. Checked into a very nice hotel with good room service. They brought me tea and soup and tissues, went to the pharmacy to fill prescriptions etc and took very good care of me. Was better than being sick at home! Really good hotels will often have doctors on call, as well.

I'm about to embark on long trip in my car. Suppose I feel bad and find out I have a fever above 102*F. Do I try to drive home as quickly as possible or do I go to a Doc-in-a-Box?

FWIW, I have some experience using the 'Urgent Care' clinics in my area. They are usually staffed not with MDs but Physician Assistants (PA) or a Nurse Practicioner. In all cases I thought the care was very thorough and professional. VERY! I would not hesitate to go to an Urgent Care facility if I was traveling.

In Thailand, we stayed at the Four Seasons Chiang Mai. Husband slipped on a concrete ramp at a temple, fell and scraped up his arms and knees. Not only did the temple send a medic, stat, to clean and cover the wounds - the hotel insisted on sending a security officer with a medical kit, morning and night, to clean and change the dressings!

Came down with a terrible flu while in Europe one time. Checked into a very nice hotel with good room service. They brought me tea and soup and tissues, went to the pharmacy to fill prescriptions etc and took very good care of me. Was better than being sick at home! Really good hotels will often have doctors on call, as well.

Back
Top Bottom