VSP Vision Plans

Katsmeow

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have an HRA through DH's retiree Megacorp. I must buy my medicare Supplement or Part D at Via Benefits to activate it. Most of the HRA then goes to pay all my Part B coverage. I then have $32.50 left per month that I will use for my Part D.

I am planning to sign up for a Wellcare Part D plan that is $19.50 per month (Wellcare Classic).

That leaves $13 a month. I either don't use it at all or can use it for a dental or vision plan. I already have a retiree dental plan so the option is to get a vision plan.

So I either use that $13 a month on a vision plan or I lose it. I don't have to get the vision plan through Via Benefits but for reimbursement purposes it it is easier to do it so I probably will unless someone tells me about some other great vision plan.

There are 3 options. There are two VSP plans. One of them is $14 a month so my net cost would be $12 a year. The other is $18.38 so my net cost is $64.56 per year. There is also a Humana plan that is $16.99 a month so the net cost is $47.88. Overall the Human plan seems inferior to either VSP plan. Co payments are higher and allowances are lower.

So I am thinking to so one of the VSP plans. I looked at their list of in network doctors and there seem to be a lot of them. The VSP plan covers one pair of glasses. I usually get 2. I get a pair of readers and then I get progressive intermediate glasses for computer work with readers in the bottom. I would probably end up getting one of the glasses using the VSP discount and the other I would probably get at Costco.

Anyway -- does anyone know anything bad about VSP? My internet research seems reasonably positive. I haven't ever paid for a vision plan but this one is mostly free money.

I am undecided between the plan that would cost me out of pocket $12 in the year versus the one that would be $64.56. The two plans are mostly similar. They each cover an exam with a $5 co pay. Glasses have a $10 co pay, including bifocals. Progressive lenses have a co pay depending on what you choose.

The main difference in the two plans are the allowances for anti glare coverage and the frame allowance. The anti glare difference is not a lot.

The frame allowance is $150 for the lower price frames and $220 for higher price frames. You get 20% off any out of pocket costs. I might or might not choose the higher price frame, just depends on what I like. Last year my readers had a $150 frame and my intermediates had a frame that was over $400.

These numbers seem to perhaps slightly favor the more expensive plan but I am leaning to the less expensive plan since I don't know what I will want to buy and I might get something where I didn't use the extra frame allowance on the more expensive plan.

Anyway, I like the $13 a month plan since that leaves me only $12 out of pocket for the year. That way I feel like I can use it or not. Is there any reason to sign up for the more expensive plan? Are their better plans that I could get outside of Via Benefits?

I did have a VSP plan when I worked and they were fine. I haven’t gotten while retired because I’d have to pay 100% myself. But since you get it subsidized, I’d go for it.

We found VSP to be the best overall provider when I was selecting vision plans for my company. There were few complaints.

Been wearing glasses since I was eight. I get my eyes checked every 2 years. I don’t get new glasses each time. The glasses I got 3 and 6 years ago (the computer/music reading glasses) are just fine. Only replace when needed. I like VSP best.

VSP included glasses are basic. They will try to upsell you, big time. Hold firm. The frames may not be the most stylish, but they'll work.

VSP included glasses are basic. They will try to upsell you, big time. Hold firm. The frames may not be the most stylish, but they'll work.
We have used VSP for decades. Our VSP plan is through Fedvip, as government retirees. We like our Dr. All is good. But JoeWras is correct about the glasses not being free, especially if you use progressive lenses. It sounds like you may not use progressives though. But the upcharging would be true of the other providers you are considering as well.

However there has been a recent change. VSP now has an affiliation with an online Eyewear provider called Eyeconic. Last year I got my annual pair, with all the bells and whistles, including progressives, antireflective, transition etc at a cost of $10. I was concerned at first because it's important to me that the glasses properly fit. I spoke with Eyeconic though and they will pay your local Doc's office to adjust the frames. And if you are unhappy with your vision with the new pair, they can be returned. You can either obtain your own prescription from your doc to upload after your annual visit, or Eyeconic will obtain your prescription from your doc for you. I also notice that the frames at eyeconic are less expensive before applying the allowance, than the eye doctor's prices (shocker), so most glasses are completely covered by the allowance.

The plan we are on has a $10 copay for the exam and a $10 copay for the pair of glasses, so a net cost per year of $20.

Last edited:
We are covered by VSP provided by DW's Megacorp. Our experience has been negative in getting exams covered, at least at our local Target Optical. Each time we have visited it has taken a long time, and multiple attempts, to get the account verified. It could be Target's problem and not VSP's fault, but we really like the doctor.

While it's a drawn-out hassle, eventually it gets worked out and the exam is covered on the spot. We have never used the frame discount because we prefer the ordering process and selection at Zenni.

One other thing to consider with VSP: it won't pay for a retinal scan. You get the exam covered. This is the kind that requires dilation. Using the fancy picture machine will be on your dime, if you so choose to do that. Most doctors won't require that unless you have known retinal issues.

One other thing to consider with VSP: it won't pay for a retinal scan. You get the exam covered. This is the kind that requires dilation. Using the fancy picture machine will be on your dime, if you so choose to do that. Most doctors won't require that unless you have known retinal issues.

Things like retinal scans are often covered by regular health insurance.

VSP is fine as an insurer. Optomotrists contract with them, so find one you like. But. There is more to your costs than you considered. Your calculations are great if you never seek care. But you will and then you have added expenses.

I have VSP as part of my Medicare Advantage plan. Examinations (with most diagnostic testing like glaucoma included, anything more extensive is covered by your medical insurance) is 100% covered. For frames, you are allowed $100 - buy any frame you want, the doctor will be reimbursed $100 - you pay the difference. If you want progressive lenses that cost isn't covered, but if you do line bifocals it is covered. Special glare coatings on the lens isn't covered. It really is basic coverage.

So I went to the optometrist two weeks ago, and needed a new prescription, but my frames were fine. I had them replace the lenses (which are progressive with a glare coating). Cost in the Seattle area: @$300.

Back
Top Bottom