We have quit shaking hands with others to avoid Flu

Starting reading original post. My how quickly things change in 5 pages or a month and a few days. Saw my Nephrologist yesterday. Our area does not have adequate testing kits. My Neph said the rate of spread and the fact many do not show symptoms but are infected is a concern. So, I'm keeping a couple of feet between me and person I'm talking with and the obvious steps of washing hands, avoid touching face.

avoid touching face.

I'm getting into (Zen-like) concentration to avoid face touching when out....and am finding that my body works as a teaching assistant by providing unwanted tests......as soon as I focus on not touching my face...my nose starts to itch!

You might want to think about changing your avatar...
Haha. If I don't have a tissue, I use my sleeve to open and shut doors. In grocery store yesterday, used hand sanitizer wipes to open those plastic bags for fruit and veggies. I bought a case of plastic gloves, 1000. If I wear them I won't touch my face. Will I look weird wearing plastic gloves out and about?

Haha. If I don't have a tissue, I use my sleeve to open and shut doors. In grocery store yesterday, used hand sanitizer wipes to open those plastic bags for fruit and veggies. I bought a case of plastic gloves, 1000. If I wear them I won't touch my face. Will I look weird wearing plastic gloves out and about?

Do you care if you look weird? I'm past that:cool:

You might want to think about changing your avatar...

OK....here's the pic taken immediately prior, (and reverted to immediately after)....fits the bill?

This is relevant and funny (go to 5:28):

My Dear Cousin, an administrator at Johns Hopkins just sent me this text and said ok to copy and send out.

"Sure! The university of Maryland medical center is currently having mandatory home quarantines for 14 days for anyone who travels out of the country anywhere. Univ. of Md & Hopkins university have cancelled all classes and have gone to all online as of 2 days ago."
She canceled her trip to Europe in May and is undergoing major precautions at JH. Plans to stay at work for a very long time.

I've been noticing the gradual shift away from shaking hands over the past couple of weeks or so. For example, Washington Gov. Jay Inslee and his task force have been giving almost daily briefings lately. I've seen him go from handshake (long ago) to the elbow-bump as of a couple of days ago to something new today--a sort of a hand signal. (I never thought the elbow bump was a good replacement for the handshake because they tell you to cough and sneeze into the crook of your arm, not cover it with your hand or cough or sneeze into the open air. If you cough/sneeze into the crook of your arm, you're just transmitting whatever virus/germs you may have onto the arm of the person you elbow-bump.)

I wonder what the generally-accepted replacement for the handshake eventually will be. The ALS sign for "handshake" perhaps?

What seems to work (for me) is a “solidarity fist” salute, not an Olympic defiance-type thing but just acknowledgement, and a smile. Always make eye contact too.

I like the Vulcan Live Long and Prosper hand signal--I just can't do it.

I look forward to hopefully getting rid of this social custom forever.

But I have doubts. They knew hand shaking was bad in the 1918 flu and many people stopped. But it came back anyway after the flu was a memory.

Another thing: stop handing me your damn phone! "Oh, here, look at my grandson, isn't he cute?" People practically thrust the phone in my hand after I say I can't read it after they thrust it in my face (need readers). Try that now and it's gonna drop to the floor, people.

Back
Top Bottom