Weakened Immune System and Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I am seeing people's understanding comes with expiration dates.

Our church was gathering outside and then decided to do Sunday school and regular group Wednesday night activities inside. Got an email an hour before church Sunday saying the pastor and his wife had been tested for COVID Saturday,,got tested but they thought it was just a mild cold.

They went ahead with church as usual, the pastor preached but he wasn't going to talk to anyone.

If it is/was COVID he most likely got in church which means people from our church SHOULDN'T BE GATHERING IN GROUPS to reduce possible spreading.

This is the reason we aren't doing church things because people are just clueless or DGAD.:facepalm:

I love my Church but I will not be going to any inside services anytime soon--just not safe for DH and I. We have been going to outside services--sit in the car and listen on the radio, kind of like a drive in movie. Some people sit outside in folding chairs, we have not done that. One thing that bothers me is the singing (although everyone wears masks). Once it gets cold and the Church services move inside we will not be going--we will just have to watch online.

I am immuno compromised, living with leukemia. I've been taking precautions for years! Initially, we only had groceries delivered (or our kids brought us groceries). Later we started doing curbside pickup; I stayed in the car and my wife would get out of car to tip the worker. Now, we do our grocery shopping but only at 2 specific stores. Each is further than a closer store in that supermarket chain. But these 2 stores are physically bigger with wider aisles, higher ceiling, and an open self checkout. And, we only go first thing in the [weekday] morning, so few people are there.
We have also done a couple of outdoor dining, but only after we prescreened the restaurant's set-up. We always ate dinner early, so getting there for dinner at 4PM is not a problem for us, and it's less crowded. Oh yeah, we only did those outdoor dining on weekdays.
I'm an avid runner, and never stopped running. But I wear a mask when I run on the local bike path. My local Y reopened their indoor swimming pool which I have resumed doing. Y rules, and I would do it anyway, are to come ready to swim at your designated 45 minute max time, and then leave wet. No locker room use.
Finally, I have a hug curtain for when we our grandkids stop by; it's a shower curtain with plastic bag armholes. Other than that, no touching or kissing, and otherwise we maintain at least 6 foot distance.

mystang, thanks for all the good tips. Sounds like you are handling your illness very well, I am wishing you all the best. The hug curtain sounds like a great idea. Maybe we could use one of those. Did you make it or buy it?

mystang, thanks for all the good tips. Sounds like you are handling your illness very well, I am wishing you all the best. The hug curtain sounds like a great idea. Maybe we could use one of those. Did you make it or buy it?

I made it. My daughter bought me the wheeled metal frame and shower curtain. Simple pair of holes cut shoulder high, and 2 holes lower down. Plastic garbage bags duct-tapes to the holes. Voila, hug curtain! I have 2 sets of grandkids, so after one hug session, everything gets Lysol for the next time.

I made it. My daughter bought me the wheeled metal frame and shower curtain. Simple pair of holes cut shoulder high, and 2 holes lower down. Plastic garbage bags duct-tapes to the holes. Voila, hug curtain! I have 2 sets of grandkids, so after one hug session, everything gets Lysol for the next time.

I bet you could make a bunch of hug curtains and sell them! If you decide to do so let me know.

OP - Sounds like you are more active than we are ..

I don't think of myself as compromised, however, we have found we have to visit DF to check on him and help him as he is over 90. He is compromised.
If things were different, I'd be pushing for a retirement home for him, but that won't be safe right now.

I do grocery pickup from Walmart (no tipping allowed) and since March have been inside for groceries only 3 times (2 Costco and 1 Sam's).

While the Walmart grocery shopping has not been perfect, it's pretty good and a safer choice than going inside.

We have also picked up to go, at restaurants, most have been curbside, and for one I had to go in, wearing my mask and it was quick.
I would not eat in a restaurant as some studies show people are likely to be infected there as the virus floats a bit in the air.

We are binging like crazy on netflix, and now Prime has some good shows we are watching for my free month on Prime.

OP - Sounds like you are more active than we are ..

I don't think of myself as compromised, however, we have found we have to visit DF to check on him and help him as he is over 90. He is compromised.
If things were different, I'd be pushing for a retirement home for him, but that won't be safe right now.

I do grocery pickup from Walmart (no tipping allowed) and since March have been inside for groceries only 3 times (2 Costco and 1 Sam's).

While the Walmart grocery shopping has not been perfect, it's pretty good and a safer choice than going inside.

We have also picked up to go, at restaurants, most have been curbside, and for one I had to go in, wearing my mask and it was quick.
I would not eat in a restaurant as some studies show people are likely to be infected there as the virus floats a bit in the air.

We are binging like crazy on netflix, and now Prime has some good shows we are watching for my free month on Prime.

Sunset, OP here, I also do Walmart curbside pick up and it has worked pretty well for us. I am grateful for all the workers at Walmart. I have not been inside a grocery store since March 5 and have not eaten in a restaurant since then. My mom is 89. She had moved into a Continuing Care Community several years ago and she is in an independent living apt, she is still active and able to drive. I visited her today--we sat outside and visited social distance and masked. I really wanted to hug her but we did virtual hugs. I dread cold weather when it will be too cold to visit her outside.

We don't have any real health concerns, but I am 66 and DH is 72 so we don't want to take chances.

We have not eaten in a restaurant since March. We do get takeout (curbside pick up) twice a week. Occasionally we get pick up from Chipotle where you go in and just pick up your order from a shelf. When we get takeout we transfer everything to our containers.

We get grocery pickup mostly (curbside). Stuff that is containers from the grocery store that will be repeatedly opened and closed (greens, cherry tomatoes, etc) we put in out own containers.

DH has been inside to the grocery several times for specific items. Always wearing a mask and using a disinfectant wipe or hand sanitizer once he gets in the car. We had to make an errand today to pick up something (he went in for just a couple of minutes). We drove through fast food on the way home and put on masks at the window. The cashier was very careful to not face us directly as much as possible and she closed the window any time she wasn't handing anything to us.

I have a friend that I used to have lunch with every week. We visited each other a couple of times in June, sitting outside, distanced. But then cases increased so we stopped. Cases are coming down now so I have thought about doing it. But, she is homeschooling her grandson this fall and he is in contact with his mom, of course, and other people who are working out and about. So I'm not sure, but might start those up again.

I have only been aside somewhere other than my home a couple of times since March (doctor's office in March, Carmax to sign papers to sell a car, and to go to the restroom at my friends house -- bathroom was one that opened on to the patio).

We don't let anyone in our house unless necessary. We had one workman on our internet service who needed to come in for a few minutes (he was masked).

These precautions are honestly not that difficult...but I am an introvert. I still talk with friends on the phone.

I have a 91 year old family member who is in good shape for her age but had to go to the ER and had to have a pacemaker put in a couple of months ago. She has been very careful and does grocery pickup, etc. Some relatives have visited her and she does need their help with some things and they need to take her to some appointments so I understand that. I have not been to visit her but would like to. I have been waiting for it to be cool enough that maybe she could sit on her porch and we could distance in her yard.

My son was living with us but then he left to go live with his sister so he could find a job (we did not want him living here and leaving to go to and from work). He now has a job but needs to pick up something here (we are about 4 hours from where he lives now). Not sure what I will do when he arrives. He does wear masks when he goes in stores, etc. but I know he has been seeing friends and has gone into restaurants at least a couple of times. I am sure I won't hug him when he comes here. He will need to come into the house to pick up a couple of things but I plan to suggest he sit on our patio for us to visit (distanced) and then he only comes into get the things he came for (and probably to use the bathroom before his drive back).

I am already thinking about Thanksgiving. We usually go to an extended family meal but I know we will skip that this year. Kids live out of town so I think I won't suggest they come here. Christmas.... Well, I think I will also skip the family gathering. But, would sure like to see our kids. Not sure yet....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom