Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-28-2011, 12:21 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I would like it ignore news most of the time. It's not always possible. My supervisors think that knowing how many people died in a riot, who is up on rape charges, or how many people were killed in some flood thousands of miles away from me is important and will conduct pop-quizzes to see who is up on "current events."

I don't suppose I could tell them that I refrain from reading about such things out of an overall interest in my mental/emotional health...
Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If someone is not willing to monitor news, he will be blindsided from time to time, or more or less continuously. I agree that it is not easy to avoid being manipulated, but staying away from TV likely helps in that regard, with little to no loss in important input.

Decisions matter, and as my sig says, good information counts.

Ha
Old 02-28-2011, 02:44 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I wish I could get away with not constantly keeping up with the news. Sadly my work requires I know what is going on in different areas of the world and attempt to assess how those incidents will effect the smuggling of illicit goods into this country.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:14 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I guess the trick is to figure out how to stay aware of current events that actually matter without having to read about every single raped grandmother and murdered baby.
Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:13 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Like so many others on here I gave up watching TV news a long time ago. I started to notice that they had a lot of "if you don't watch our news you're going to die" types of stories. Now I stay current scanning CNN, Fox, and Drudge web sites.