What is your go to healthy meal?

Grilled chicken (or lean steak, or fish), and mixed vegetables. Water to drink.

Easy to cook, and very filling. I use an electric countertop indoor grill, and grill dry (without butter or oil).The mixed vegetables are frozen or canned, and I just warm them up.

For a healthy breakfast, I like to make a savoury omelette. This week I tried shrimp and fresh basil. It was soooo good!

PSA: eggs are good for you! (In moderation of course).

For dinner, healthy go-to meals would include salad, grilled chicken or salmon with steamed or roasted vegetables, or zoodles with home made pesto, or quinoa made with my homemade vegetable stock, with anything interesting in the fridge tossed in.

Quinoa is a very versatile protein source and can substitute for rice in many recipes.

Somehow we got hooked on pastured eggs. They are delicious but $5 per dozen. They probably don't qualify for LBYM. :LOL:

I’m not sure what you mean by “pastured”, but the eggs I buy are from free range hens who eat a vegetarian diet. I don’t buy the ones from hens only fed organic food, because the yolks of those eggs are pale. I love the bright yellow yolks and the flavour of the free range eggs.

I always find it fascinating to see how people define "healthy". From the variety of meals described in this thread it is clear that there is no universal definition. Which makes sense, since I don't think there is any universal scientific agreement on what "healthy" food really is.

I also believe that what is "healthy" for one person may not be healthy for others. Our bodies respond differently to different sources of food.

OK, the funniest one mentioned so far in this thread was the peanut butter and jelly option. Sorry BCG, had to make some fun of you for going with that one. :)

I always find it fascinating to see how people define "healthy". From the variety of meals described in this thread it is clear that there is no universal definition. Which makes sense, since I don't think there is any universal scientific agreement on what "healthy" food really is.

I also believe that what is "healthy" for one person may not be healthy for others. Our bodies respond differently to different sources of food.

OK, the funniest one mentioned so far in this thread was the peanut butter and jelly option. Sorry BCG, had to make some fun of you for going with that one. :)

+1
What's healthy is individual, I guess.

If I'm starving, maybe candy is healthy, I need calories. Most of us aren't starving so it's more subjective.

PB &J well maybe. Natural PB and a moderate amount of decent jelly. OK where's the fun in that?😂

Roast beef
Mashed potatoes
Green beans
Fried corn
Sliced tomatoes
Skillet cornbread (no sugar)
Coconut cream pie

May not be that healthy, but it's about the perfect Southern meal.

Roast beef
Mashed potatoes
Green beans
Fried corn
Sliced tomatoes
Skillet cornbread (no sugar)
Coconut cream pie

May not be that healthy, but it's about the perfect Southern meal.

If you will add some collards, fried okra and a glass of sweet iced tea, I am coming over!

Excuse my ignorance, but what's the recipe for fried corn? I have heard of corn fritters, bur not fried corn.

Boneless skinless chicken breast and veggies.

^^ This ^^ is the standard for us. Veggies can also be a salad.

However, DW makes vegetable soup. Nothing fancy, but tasty and plenty of veggies. She makes a large batch and freezes 1/2 or so. Therefore, we usually have some on hand and it can go from freezer to table in about 1/2 hour (we try not to use the microwave). Very good and quick - once it's made.

Salad with grilled chicken.

I'm surprised I haven't turned green by now and grown feathers after all the salads I have process through me.:D

Our go-to healthy meal is a salad. Almost any ingredient is allowed - as long as it has greens, usually spinach or romaine, as a base.

This is a valuable thread for me to read, as we had jalapeno & anchovy pizza for dinner (with beer).

Tomorrow is a new day.

A few pieces of roast beef from the one I roasted a few days ago, now in fridge. White rice from fridge. Nuke both. Have with a few bites of Bell pepper from my garden. Maybe add a dash of bbq sauce to the white rice. Also one can substitute roast chicken for the roast beef. Glass of filtered tap water, or beer, or whole milk. Ended with a slice of watermelon.

I had a really awesome hatch mac and cheese at the Trader Joe's sample desk a few weeks ago. I'd never heard of them before that.

I never heard of Hatch chiles until I drove through the town of Hatch N.M. this spring. Roadside stands selling dried chiles for $15 in bags that I saw only grapefruits and oranges sold in. I couldn't get one to fit in my luggage so the vendor sold me a stuffed gallon ziploc for a buck. Now that's LBYM!

A salad or sushi.
Add oatmeal to the list, too, since I won't have salad nor sushi for breakfast.

My favorite Tex-Mex place will subsitute sauteed veggies for the rice and beans, so I think the meals are quite healthy.

Last edited:
Excuse my ignorance, but what's the recipe for fried corn? I have heard of corn fritters, bur not fried corn.

Fried corn is where you shuck 4-5 large ears of corn and cut it off the cobb. Then take the back of the knife and scraps the cobb of all liquids.

You put some bacon drippings (or even butter) in a skillet and "fry" the corn for a few minutes--stirring occassionally. You could put a small amount of water or cream into the corn and saute until it thickens.

I then salt and pepper it to taste. I heavily pepper fried corn.

My grandmother cooked green beans and a cast iron skillet of cornbread every day at lunch. She would serve fried corn about every other day at lunch. She would rotate meats. Dinner would be a snack, or leftovers.

Fried corn is where you shuck 4-5 large ears of corn and cut it off the cobb. Then take the back of the knife and scraps the cobb of all liquids.

You put some bacon drippings

I like corn to start with, add bacon drippings and this is a feast. I need to try this one day

Red beans & rice, with some mystery meat, raw onion, Tabasco Sauce

qN3v1p3.png

You put some bacon drippings (or even butter) in a skillet and "fry" the corn for a few minutes--stirring occassionally. You could put a small amount of water or cream into the corn and saute until it thickens.

I then salt and pepper it to taste. I heavily pepper fried corn.

My grandmother cooked green beans and a cast iron skillet of cornbread every day at lunch. She would serve fried corn about every other day at lunch. She would rotate meats. Dinner would be a snack, or leftovers.

Cornbread in a skillet and green beans cooked with ham or bacon are things I remember from the Southern relatives. Never served fried corn. That sounds a bit like creamed corn.

Back
Top Bottom