What is your go to healthy meal?

My breakfast not sure I would call it a meal.
Oatmeal
raisins
banana
honey
wild goose berry
flax seed
milk

I always find it fascinating to see how people define "healthy". From the variety of meals described in this thread it is clear that there is no universal definition. Which makes sense, since I don't think there is any universal scientific agreement on what "healthy" food really is.

I also believe that what is "healthy" for one person may not be healthy for others. Our bodies respond differently to different sources of food.

. :)

+1 :facepalm:

My friend who owns a Chinese restaurant refers to the kitchen operation as "constant preparation interrupted by occasional cooking."

Yup. If one prepares from scratch or nearly so, the prep /cook seems like maybe 80/20. That said, I wouldn't have any other way. We get a lot of family time in the kitchen.

My healthy breakfast is a Weight Watchers protein shake if I'm in a hurry, or an egg white omelette with Jimmy Dean turkey sausage crumbles & salsa if I'm not.

For lunch, salad with lean grilled protein - Ahi, chicken, shrimp, salmon, or filet mignon.
Or sashimi or ahi poke. I am addicted to the spicy ahi poke at Gelson's.
Or Trader Joe's chicken sausages, grilled with mustard on the side. I like Spicy Jalepeno.

For dinner, any grilled protein and steamed or grilled green vegetables. Also like broiled tomatoes. If I don't want to grill my protein, I love sautéed or baked tilapia. So good with a spicy rub and mango or pineapple salsa!

For healthy snacks, I like boiled eggs, low fat cheese sticks, fruit, or Skinny Cow mint ice cream sandwiches. Weight Watchers fudge bars are very good also.

I like to cook but also appreciate easy preparation. Most of our healthy meals are quick & easy to cook with easy cleanup too.

Wifey makes protein smoothies with ground flax, wild blueberries, yogurt and chocoloate whey protein powder in the bullet blender for us most mornings. Delicious and zero hunger for several hours. I do all the dinner cooking and there are a lot of things I like to cook but heathiest one we eat regularly is a huge salad with lots of cut up veggies and 1 lb of sauteed extra lean ground turkey added just before tossing. Gives some warmth to it, crumbled goat cheese in it melts a bit. Last year we both lost a lot of weight and were eating that salad at least 3-4 nights a week for dinner. Delicius and very filling.

In my younger years usually reverted to the three basic food groups: nicotine, caffeine and alcohol. Lately it is bacon and eggs.

Fried corn is where you shuck 4-5 large ears of corn and cut it off the cobb. Then take the back of the knife and scraps the cobb of all liquids.

You put some bacon drippings (or even butter) in a skillet and "fry" the corn for a few minutes--stirring occassionally. You could put a small amount of water or cream into the corn and saute until it thickens.

I then salt and pepper it to taste. I heavily pepper fried corn.

My grandmother cooked green beans and a cast iron skillet of cornbread every day at lunch. She would serve fried corn about every other day at lunch. She would rotate meats. Dinner would be a snack, or leftovers.

This is known as cream corn in some parts. Or it's very close.

Flintnational, Thanks for the tip on Costco salmon in the can. You made it sound good. I will give it a try for salmon salad. I haven't made that in a very long time.

If I buy real salmon around here, it is going to be cooked on the grill for a nice dinner.

I was given a recipe from a friend who got it from a bartender in Mexico for a fresh tomato salsa (pico de gallo) and guacamole. I love it. It is all fresh raw veggies with a little salt, and it tastes great.

Whenever I make this recipe now, I make burrito bowls out of it. Black beans, rice and lettuce in a bowl. I cover the lettuce with some pico de gallo, and cover it all generously with guacamole.

It sounded so good, I just made a batch today.

Take care,

JP

Red beans & rice, with some mystery meat, raw onion, Tabasco Sauce

qN3v1p3.png

Yum! One of my favorites.

FN

I often scramble an egg with a pat of Kerrygold butter and add organic veggies like broccoli or sweet corn and cheese or cut up lunch meat - whatever's in the fridge! I top it off with locally made green chile sauce and add a little kimchi or pickled beets on the side.

I often scramble an egg with a pat of Kerrygold butter and add organic veggies like broccoli or sweet corn and cheese or cut up lunch meat - whatever's in the fridge! I top it off with locally made green chile sauce and add a little kimchi or pickled beets on the side.

You might just win the "healthy meal" award. Grass fed butter, organic veggies, eggs/protein and fermented veggies. Yum. :dance:

I always keep a bag of Asian veggies and chicken tenders in the freezer. And I always have a good stir fry sauce. I can make a very good stir fry in about 10 minutes.

Another healthy quick meal is cut up rotisserie chicken pieces on dark leafy greens, with oil and vinegar dressing.

I love oven roasted veggies. Butternut squash, cauliflower, onion, eggplant, asparagus, etc. Toss in oil, season, and roast. Yum!

I often have a version of Mark Fuhrman's protein smoothie for breakfast: blueberries, cranberries, almond butter, avocado, walnuts, seeds (hemp, flax, chia) all buzzed together into a thick, filling smoothie.

I have a big vegetable garden, and we love to do stir-fries in the summer and fall months with fresh garden veggies. This year, we tried a Korean dish called Bibimbap, which is basically a rice bowl topped with whatever veggies you have on hand, plus whatever meat we have on hand, and a fried egg, topped with a spicy Korean chile sauce. We LOVED it, and have been making it at least once a week since June. We even bought the Korean stone bowls now, so that we can make Dolsot Bibimbap, which is the same dish cooked on top of the stove in a stone bowl for each person. The advantage of the stone bowl is that you can get the rice crispy on the bottom, and each person gets a hot steaming bowl for themselves, which only adds to the taste, texture, and appeal. The nice thing about Bibimbap for us is that it changes weekly based on whatever veggies we have from the garden that week (and whatever meat we have on hand.........usually something left over from a previous meal). Give it a try if you have not had it........just google Korean bibimbap and you'll find lots of websites and videos on how to make it.

We bought those stone bowls a couple years ago and actually took them with us on the RV even though they are massively heavy. We have not gotten around to making BiBimBap in the RV but I do not know why. I love kimchi too!

We bought those stone bowls a couple years ago and actually took them with us on the RV even though they are massively heavy. We have not gotten around to making BiBimBap in the RV but I do not know why. I love kimchi too!

Yes, we love the bowls too, and plan to take them with us when we head south to our winter vacation rental home. We also make kimchi from some of our garden veggies.........good stuff, and it's good for you too :)

I have a big vegetable garden, and we love to do stir-fries in the summer and fall months with fresh garden veggies. This year, we tried a Korean dish called Bibimbap, which is basically a rice bowl topped with whatever veggies you have on hand, plus whatever meat we have on hand, and a fried egg, topped with a spicy Korean chile sauce.

That sounds great. I will read up on Bibimbap. We add curry paste to stir fried veggies and meat to make a thai curry. Same sort of prep just a different sauce and the dish is completely different. :)

FN

Eggs with avocado is probably the easiest one. I make that every day for breakfast.

Another breakfast favorite is an eggs, black beans, and herbed goat cheese scramble.

Oven roasted chickpeas. They make a great snack. Coat in olive oil, season with whatever, and stick in the oven at 350 for an hour to an hour and a half, stir every 20 minutes or so. Sometimes in the last 10 minutes I'll take them out and coat them in honey.

Veggie burritos are almost a daily lunch. Stuff them to the size of your forearm and they're still reasonable in calories. Black beans, pinto beans, rice, diced tomato, avocado, yogurt, broccoli, cauliflower, corn, zucchini, bell peppers, carrots, queso fresco, lime juice, sriracha. I'm really lazy about the effort I put into making them, so I stuff everything into the food processor and turn it into something like a paste to stuff a tortilla full.

Protein cookies. Both chocolate chip and peanut butter. I just take any recipe I find that looks good, and substitute the amount of sugar for an equal amount of mashed banana. Change 1/4 flour out for protein powder (and make what's left an equal mix of whole wheat and all purpose), add an extra egg, and let the stand mixer do all the work.

I’m not sure what you mean by “pastured”, but the eggs I buy are from free range hens who eat a vegetarian diet. I don’t buy the ones from hens only fed organic food, because the yolks of those eggs are pale. I love the bright yellow yolks and the flavour of the free range eggs.

Not to quibble, but chickens aren’t vegetarians, if left to their own devices, i.e. “free range”.

Last edited:
The carton says that they are fed a vegetarian diet and are free to roam outside. I understand that “outside” has a fence. These chickens do not cross the road! But I suppose they could nibble on the odd worm or bug appetizer if they so choose.

Country Golden Yolks – Free Range Chickens – Free Range Eggs

My daughter raised Rhode Island Red hens in California when we had horse property. Always had fresh eggs. The hens roamed the fenced property and were good friends with her Quarter horse. The hens were fed chicken scratch but preferred live snails (lots of those where we were) and other bugs, insects, worms or whatever. We loved those hens!

Back
Top Bottom