Who takes B12 shots?

DW does. It's a long story, but eventually we found out she has pernicious anemia, and does not have the intrinsic factor in her gut to allow her to absorb B12 properly from food. So, she takes the shots, generally every few weeks or so, and it has made a big difference in how she feels. B12 oral supplements would not work in her case, because she would not be able to absorb the B12 through her gut.

I was admitted through the ED about three months ago. Labs revealed a low B12 level -- which I contributed to my diet. Physician recommended OTC B12 sublingual tablets. Had my labs redone last week and B12 levels are elevated/normal. I have no intrinsic factor issues. Can't say I feel any different due to the change in my B12 levels.

Veghead here I take a daily B12 sublingual tablets. My cats get a B-12 subcutaneous injection once a month by me.

Just discovered my best friend takes a monthly b12 shot for her rheumatoid arthritis

In my last few years in community pharmacy before switching to consultant work two years ago I noticed an uptick in B12 injection prescriptions. I think it was more a function of becoming a focus by the PCPs and increased testing.

I’ve given the shots myself although I will say depending on lab results typically patients would try oral OTC supplements first and then have labs rechecked to gauge response. It depends on the patient and how low their levels were compared to the desired range.

DW does. It's a long story, but eventually we found out she has pernicious anemia, and does not have the intrinsic factor in her gut to allow her to absorb B12 properly from food. So, she takes the shots, generally every few weeks or so, and it has made a big difference in how she feels. B12 oral supplements would not work in her case, because she would not be able to absorb the B12 through her gut.

Has your DW tried Methylcobalamin B-12 under the tongue?

I used to take them when I was lifting weights and boy, I woke up every morning feeling like a million bucks, but that was 35 years ago.

As a non morning person I don't think I ever woke up feeling like a million bucks. . . even 35 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom