Who takes Vitamin E

FloridaJim57

Recycles dryer sheets
Back in the 70's and 80's I took Vitamin E supplements for reported cardiac, stamina, etc. benefits. As far as I know, it did not live up to its early hype so I stopped taking it. Friends of mine in the gym still take it. Do you take it, and if so, why, what benefits, etc.?

I have been taking it for about 5 years indirectly, as it is part of Preservision AREDS formulation, as suggested by my eye doctor.

Preservision AREDS formulation

I've got a BIL and a SIL that take Preservation AREDS as recommended by their eye doctor but the scientific studies that justify it seem pretty shaky to me. I don't take vitamin E as I'm not aware of a reason why I should, but maybe I should get educated.

My liver numbers were slightly out of range, the Gastroenterologist advised to take 800 units E. Numbers have since returned to normal.

I took it in the past in supplement form on the advice of a doctor and developed bleeding issues.

I recently had nutrition testing and was suboptimal in vitamin E. I also had gut bacteria that have been linked to vitamin K deficiency, which is likely why the E supplements caused the bleeding issues, since they thin the blood and vitamin K helps it clot.

Now I eat a big salad and drink green smoothies daily for vitamin K. I've been using the cronometer nutrition and calorie planning site to try to also consume enough vitamin E through my regular diet. I haven't retested yet to see how that has worked. Healthwise tweaking my diet based on the nutrition and gut testing seems to be working out really well and has cleared up a number of gut and allergy issues. For dry eyes cod liver oil supplements have helped me.

Back
Top Bottom