Why get Medicare Part A if retired abroad?

samm

Recycles dryer sheets
I am permanently retired in Thailand with private health insurance.

Why sign up for Medicare Part A since I will not return to the US?

Any ideas? Thank you.

ChatGPT AI says:
If you permanently retire abroad, you may still want to consider signing up for Medicare Part A, even if you do not plan to return to the United States. Here are some reasons why:

Coverage during visits to the United States: If you decide to return to the United States for a visit, Medicare Part A can provide you with coverage for any medical expenses you may incur while you are in the country.

Qualifying for premium-free Part A: If you have worked and paid Medicare taxes for at least 10 years, you may be eligible for premium-free Medicare Part A, even if you permanently reside outside the United States.

Peace of mind: Even if you do not plan to return to the United States, having Medicare Part A coverage can provide you with peace of mind knowing that you have some coverage for medical expenses should you need it.

It's important to note that if you permanently retire abroad and do not sign up for Medicare Part A when you are first eligible, you may face a penalty if you decide to enroll at a later time. Therefore, it's a good idea to explore your options and make an informed decision based on your individual circumstances.

ChatGPT AI says:

Qualifying for premium-free Part A: If you have worked and paid Medicare taxes for at least 10 years, you may be eligible for premium-free Medicare Part A, even if you permanently reside outside the United States.

...It's important to note that if you permanently retire abroad and do not sign up for Medicare Part A when you are first eligible, you may face a penalty if you decide to enroll at a later time.
For clarification, there is no Part A late enrollment penalty (LEP) if you are entitled to premium-free Part A. For those who must pay for Part A, note that the LEP calculation is different than the more familiar Part B LEP.

Also, Part A does not "provide you with coverage for any medical expenses you may incur" while visiting. Part A covers inpatient hospital facility charges, skilled nursing facility charges, hospice and home health.

If you have to buy Part A, and you don't buy it when you're first eligible for Medicare, your monthly premium may go up 10%. You'll have to pay the penalty for twice the number of years you didn't sign up.

Example:
If you were eligible for Part A for 2 years but didn't sign up, you'll have to pay the higher premium for 4 years.

Usually, you don't have to pay a penalty if you meet certain conditions that allow you to sign up for Part A during a Special Enrollment Period.

Reference: https://www.medicare.gov/basics/costs/medicare-costs/avoid-penalties

Last edited:
We are signing up for Part A since it's free, plus I think they automatically sign you up any way, unless you decline. We did decline Part B (for SO) since it's cheaper to be treated here vs. returning to the States, having to rent a car and house, etc.

I can see where signing up for Medicare is a very good idea. Suppose you get an exotic form of cancer. Rather than have treatment at the local medical clinic you can come back to the USA and go to MDAnderson in Houston or Sloan-Kettering in NYC and get care from the number 1 and number 2 cancer clinics in the world. You might be happy with the local hospital for the easy things but for a heart transplant you'd probably be better off going to one of the Mayo facilities in MN, FL and AZ. If you plan for the worst case today you'll have the best possible care when you need it tomorrow.

My wife and I both signed up for Medicare Part A when we were 65. At the time we were still visiting our daughter in LA but she has also moved back to England now so no plans to visit the USA anytime in the future. It costs nothing so why not have it.

One reason to enroll is that it may (not sure) reduce the cost of private insurance.

I will find out when I renew my Pacific Cross global health insurance.

What I find fascinating is that the AI pretty much nailed it. Half kidding: What's the future of this and so many other advice focused forums?

Back
Top Bottom