Why I'd never retire to the third-world: Facebook husband death

^ that's not due to healthcare or longevity - they have very generous tier 1 and 2 social pensions and socialized medicine

i.e. lots of social (and very high taxes)

the access to top quality healthcare in this country is second to none, if you can afford it, our life expectancy at birth may be lower due to lack of socialized medicine

I'd still rather retire in the US.

Last edited:
^ that's not due to healthcare or longevity - they have very generous tier 1 and 2 social pensions and socialized medicine

i.e. lots of social (and very high taxes)

the access to top quality healthcare in this country is second to none, if you can afford it, our life expectancy at birth may be lower due to lack of socialized medicine

I'd still rather retire in the US.

Health services are way down the list of determinants of health and life expectancy.

WHO | The determinants of health

So, you are saying that the US's throwing more money at healthcare is not going to help? :)

We have a lot of poor people in this country that skew our score.

The higher scoring countries don't.

the access to top quality healthcare in this country is second to none, if you can afford it

Dissonant statement. Access to to quality healthcare in this country is non-existent unless you can afford it. ie Access to top quality health care is shaky and/or limited to almost everyone. Available under fortuitous circumstances only.

We have a lot of poor people in this country that skew our score.

The higher scoring countries don't.
Yes, it is bizarre to compare the US to Switzerland for example. Maybe compare Scarsdale, SF, Manhattan etc. to Switzerland.

These comparisons always have an agenda, and it is usually redistributionist.

Ha

I am pretty happy with my healthcare in the states, but we visit an island off the coast of Mexico fairly often and there is an "island doctor" on call 24/7. I have never called him, but as I understand it, he costs about $25 to come to you...and that's pretty sweet.

Switzerland is a wealthy but small country.

However, US lags other countries in life expectancy and most of these have lower per capita GDP than the US, such as the UK, France, Germany, etc.

It's impossible to know whether the fact that the husband of the Facebook lady would've survived if he had received medical care in the US/Can/UK, he may have been a goner no matter what, but if I have a medical emergency I sure want to be in a developed country.

Whenever I read about folks claiming to retire on $0.99/day in the middle of nowhere, I think, yeah that works great, until you have a heart attack...

lol, humm you do realize that over 300,000 folks died of a heart attack tight here in the good ole us of A last year.

For a developed country, we have absolutely nothing to gloat about. We spend the most on health care yet get some of the crappiest health care.

Obviously you did not grow up in the projects?? I'll take Guatemala health care over Camden NJ any day of the week and twice on Sundays

I am not impressed

Last edited:
Didn't help this poor guy recently killed by a nighttime tree fall in a state park not far from Houston, TX of famed medical facilities. Man dies in freak accident during weekend storms

That story may discourage some would be campers.

How surprising to see Chuck's death referenced on a site that I'm on so often. He was my first cousin by marriage and was an awesome guy... in the last five years his wife has lost both parents, her little brother and sis in law both to cancer. She's had a very rough time.

The tree that fell on him killed him instantly so the great Houston medical facilities didn't have a chance of saving him.

Chuck was 64 and was planning to retire next year. He could be the poster child for why to not put off retirement.

Last edited:
How surprising to see Chuck's death referenced on a site that I'm on so often. He was my first cousin by marriage and was an awesome guy... in the last five years his wife has lost both parents, her little brother and sis in law both to cancer. She's had a very rough time.

The tree that fell on him killed him instantly so the great Houston medical facilities didn't have a chance of saving him.

Chuck was 64 and was planning to retire next year. He could be the poster child for why to not put off retirement.

Sorry about that.

Someone had mentioned it on Facebook and it just brought home to me that sometimes things happen and how close medical facilities are has no bearing. Which is why I linked it. Just as IMO anyone could have a bad treadmill accident anywhere, and if no one finds them promptly....

Sorry to hear about his surviving wife losing so many loved ones. That's just awful.

Not surprising in a bad way, more of a 1 degree kind of separation way.

You certainly never know when your number is up. Both Chuck and Sandberg are the perfect examples of that. Which is why I am so thankful to be planning my exit at the end of this year at the age of 54. DH retired a few months ago at 50.

We live in PV for 6 months a year. Have been coming for 10 years but always with travel insurance. Never had a claim until 2 years ago. Now I can comment on my COPD diagnosis (mild), my retina laser patching, my 24-hours cardio halter, and my 8-day hospital stay for a severely infected spider bite, over the last 2 years.

All my experiences were with the utmost competence. Doctors even give their cell phone numbers and respond (he admitted me on Sunday for the bite).

These are all long stories but suffice to say that I am impressed with the medical system here.

David's autopsy indicated arrhythmia probably was the contributing cause to his fall. Too bad, they seemed to have it all. Sadly workout facilities at hotels tend to be lonely places.

Not only have two Mexican doctors given me their cell phone numbers, they have called me a day or two after treatment to check and see how I was doing. NEVER had that happen in the U.S.!

Not surprising in a bad way, more of a 1 degree kind of separation way.

You certainly never know when your number is up. Both Chuck and Sandberg are the perfect examples of that. Which is why I am so thankful to be planning my exit at the end of this year at the age of 54. DH retired a few months ago at 50.

Very good points!

At least your cousin spent a lot of time over the years enjoying camping at the park, sleeping in the hammock.

He certainly did and loved every minute of it.

The family joked that he's now in heaven teaching the Angels how to pitch a tent!

Back
Top Bottom