wrap around sunglasses

murg

Dryer sheet aficionado
My FIL wants a pair of wrap around sunglasses for his birthday. He recently was diagnosed with macular degeneration, he has gotten the shots in his eyes and they have worked spectacularly well. All I can think of when I hear wrap around sunglasses are the geezer glasses that you see that are enormous and completely seal your eyes. Does anyone know of alternatives to these? I have found some made by Julbo that are like you would see on a mountain climber with the little leather cup on the frame to seal the side from the sun, do they work? Any and all suggestions would be helpful.

Snowskiers use them, I think. Check on Campmor and outdoor suppliers like REI.
I think that one of those kind of places would be where you'd find pretty good prices, and also maybe ask your eye doctor as well.

Recommended by eye doc after cataract operation. Geezer glasses? Won't win any competitions but they ain't that bad. Can wear over regular glasses. About $10-15 but you can find them on sale 2:1 at local drugstores.

Edit: added Solar Shield link Dioptics/Solarshield

I have a set with a polarized plastic window. I love them. "Florida glasses", somebody told me. Yeah, I bought 'em in FL. If I could find more, I would buy them. Ten. The lens scratches easily.

BTW, my dad had macular degeneration. He died blind.

As an avid boater I've been wearing polarized UV protected wrap-arounds (or near wrap-arounds for years) due to the reflection of the suns rays from the water (& I'm only 47)

Function takes priority over form in such matters to me. I'll go one step further & say that good function = good form IMO.

If the doc says get them & FIL wants them, I say get him what he wants & let him worry about whether he likes the way he looks.

How about some like these?

sunglasses.jpg

one of the sweetest yet saddest moments of my life was watching my mother & one of her best friends hug goodbye when my mother was in the throws of alzheimer's and her friend had macular degeneration which meant she had to move and live with her daughter a state away. one could hardly see and the other could hardly remember. how tough does life have to be.

I have a set with a polarized plastic window. I love them. "Florida glasses", somebody told me. Yeah, I bought 'em in FL. If I could find more, I would buy them. Ten. The lens scratches easily.

BTW, my dad had macular degeneration. He died blind.

Not sure if you're talking about Solar Shield but if you are:

google : Solar Shield sunglasses

solar shield sunglasses - - Compare Prices, Read Product Reviews, and Buy - Shopping.com

If you scroll down aways to the Amazon listing it says $12.99 + shipping
for the non-polarized version. If you get 2, shipping is free. I'm
pretty sure they carry the more-expensive polarized version too.

I saw these

Cocoons Eyewear - Over Prescription Sunglasses

at the optician's recently. They go over your regular glasses. They seem like an economical solution, since they're cheaper than prescription sunglasses, and don't need to be changed every time your prescription changes. They are very light.

As an avid boater I've been wearing polarized UV protected wrap-arounds (or near wrap-arounds for years) due to the reflection of the suns rays from the water (& I'm only 47)

Function takes priority over form in such matters to me. I'll go one step further & say that good function = good form IMO.

If the doc says get them & FIL wants them, I say get him what he wants & let him worry about whether he likes the way he looks.

How about some like these?

sunglasses.jpg

I have a pair of those, my best friend's wife works ar Harken, and she got them for me for almost nothing at an employee sale. They are AWESOME.............:)

Back
Top Bottom