Alternative investment suggestions

Please excuse the off topic question RR, but I'm curious. I'm finding it hard to see why you use quotes around some words in most of your posts, here and in other threads. Usually someone would do this if they are implying a special meaning to a particular word, but this doesn't seem to be the case in your posts. What's up with all the "quotation marks?" Help us understand. Just want to get the most our of reading your very informative posts.

Just a bad habit, I guess. I guess I think I am giving some very slight emphasis to a word by doing the quotation marks, that one could convey verbally by tone or volume. But not so much emphasis as bolding or all caps would convey in writing. "Understand"? :greetings10:

Just a bad habit, I guess. I guess I think I am giving some very slight emphasis to a word by doing the quotation marks, that one could convey verbally by tone or volume. But not so much emphasis as bolding or all caps would convey in writing. "Understand"? :greetings10:

I find myself using quotation marks when I find a word that might be more "ironic" than accurate.

For instance, when I speak of my buddy who buys lottery tickets while he's half a million in debt at age 77, I might say: My buddy "invests" in lottery tickets. My buddy actually believes it is an investment while I think it's a foolish waste. Still, the word has some (if not total) validity - and hence the quotes around the word. I have no idea if there is precedent for writing in this fashion (well, other than my good friend RetireeRobert :LOL:). But I doubt I could change my habits at this late age in any case. I find our various writing styles to be an interesting addition to our various opinions and presentations of fact. I would say THANKFULLY we are quite varied in style. As always, YMMV.

I find myself using quotation marks when I find a word that might be more "ironic" than accurate.

For instance, when I speak of my buddy who buys lottery tickets while he's half a million in debt at age 77, I might say: My buddy "invests" in lottery tickets. My buddy actually believes it is an investment while I think it's a foolish waste. Still, the word has some (if not total) validity - and hence the quotes around the word. I have no idea if there is precedent for writing in this fashion (well, other than my good friend RetireeRobert :LOL:). But I doubt I could change my habits at this late age in any case. I find our various writing styles to be an interesting addition to our various opinions and presentations of fact. I would say THANKFULLY we are quite varied in style. As always, YMMV.

"Ironic" be my practice or not, I feel as though the quotes around a word or phrase gives some slight written emphasis that would be conveyed in person, perhaps by tone of voice, or volume of voice, or perhaps by body language or facial expressions. Now, whether my practice is unique to me, or anyone anywhere else uses it---that is a good question. I cannot point to any examples who served as my mentors. :dance:

When I first heard about "alternative investments" I decided on a buy of Blackstone (BX). It was a partnership, but then converted to C Corp. They have several divisions, such as PE, alternative management, IPO, etc. Blackrock (BLK) is a larger competitor, for comparison.

Back
Top Bottom