alternative investments

bobbyr

Recycles dryer sheets
I am curious about the following alternative investments:

Ironwood Hedge Funds
Blackrock Private Equity
KKR Infrastructure
Blackstone BREIT

Had a friend recommend these to me and wondering if anyone can provide feedback/thoughts.

Friend is a cousin who is a stock broker and helping me with some found family money. I am thinking these would be higher risk/volatility..I otherwise have 57% stock, 21% fixed and 22% cash. 65 yrs old, retired

We've talked about these AI options sone, but I always get good input from this forum...so thought I would ask.

I am curious about the following alternative investments:

Ironwood Hedge Funds
Blackrock Private Equity
KKR Infrastructure
Blackstone BREIT

Had a friend recommend these to me and wondering if anyone can provide feedback/thoughts.
I hold Blackstone BX.

What does BX company do?
Blackstone Inc. is an alternative asset management firm specializing in real estate, private equity, hedge fund solutions, credit, secondary funds of funds, public debt and equity and multi-asset class strategies. The firm typically invests in early-stage companies.

It's an inherited stock that I look at occasionally. It can swing very far up and down through the economic cycle.

In 2022 I bought (4) smaller lots when the NAV dropped below 100, 90, 80.

Don't know much about these investments. However, Blackstone BREIT, is a real estate income trust, and generally speaking I would stay away from these things as the office space and brick and mortar retail real estate are in a death spiral. People are wanting to work from home and not go into offices and online retail sales are killing the brick and mortar retail stores.

I see that 52% of this REIT is in rental housing property, which would blunt some of the risk here, but I'd still stay away from this one.

BREIT is not publicly traded. There are many stories written about their valuation methods, reporting, and limiting of investor withdrawals.

This feedback is absolutely what I am looking for - keep it coming and thank you. I love my cousin, but needed opinions from folks who wouldn't gain from investing my money...

So thanks to all for the feedback

Friend is a cousin who is a stock broker and helping me with some found family money. I am thinking these would be higher risk/volatility..I otherwise have 57% stock, 21% fixed and 22% cash. 65 yrs old, retired

We've talked about these AI options sone, but I always get good input from this forum...so thought I would ask.
These choices are about him. Never do business with a relative. Sorry to be so blunt.

Do you manage your own investments?

BREIT is not publicly traded. There are many stories written about their valuation methods, reporting, and limiting of investor withdrawals.

Ahh, I see, it's one of those investments you can't easily liquidate. I call them the "time shares" of REITs.

These choices are about him. Never do business with a relative. Sorry to be so blunt.

Do you manage your own investments?

He's a good guy and mentioned great returns on these AIs. I don't think he's trying to mislead me at all, but I am just wanting info on these AI types.

He managed my mom's money and when she died, my portion has remained with him for now (passively held with mostly solid dividend stocks and cash and cds). I manage a schwab account and hold a low cost vanguard 401k for my own money.

I feel mildly knowledgeable with lots to learn, but too many other distractions right now.

He's a good guy and mentioned great returns on these AIs. I don't think he's trying to mislead me at all, but I am just wanting info on these AI types.

He managed my mom's money and when she died, my portion has remained with him for now (passively held with mostly solid dividend stocks and cash and cds). I manage a schwab account and hold a low cost vanguard 401k for my own money.

I feel mildly knowledgeable with lots to learn, but too many other distractions right now.
When you mention he's a good guy, I think, "He may have a vested interest and is not really helping this investor." So you know, all salesmen are good guys. If that is true, does he explain to you the expenses of having him involved in your finances? Does he benchmark your total performance against an index?

When he mentioned the great returns on possible alternative investments he is not really showing you the complete picture, IMO. So it is good that you are looking for more knowledge.

Many of these you're locked into until they terminate.

And once people want out due to under-performance redemptions become increasingly limited.

E.g. "apply to a quarterly lottery" to "only on your death or permanent disability."

Many of these you're locked into until they terminate.

And once people want out due to under-performance redemptions become increasingly limited.

E.g. "apply to a quarterly lottery" to "only on your death or permanent disability."

Very helpful thanks

I agree with the other posters above that this is not necessary for your investments to be tied up in alternative investments that are best suited to help the broker received additional income. It's hard to change your mind when you're being paid to think a certain way. He may be a good guy, but he is human like the rest of us.

Good Luck to you,

VW

I agree with the other posters above that this is not necessary for your investments to be tied up in alternative investments that are best suited to help the broker received additional income. It's hard to change your mind when you're being paid to think a certain way. He may be a good guy, but he is human like the rest of us.

Good Luck to you,

VW

well said, thank you

Back
Top Bottom