Anyone Buying Into Today's Dip?

I bought too soon, proving ONCE AGAIN, I nor anyone can time the market. I suppose we all knew the easy money couldn't last.

2649cjmfwwa81.jpg

Oohh... If it keeps dipping, then perhaps it's not too late to sell?

SELL! Sell everything!

Just kidding about selling.

Well, I was forced to sell 2 round lots of Caterpillar last Friday when the 222.5 calls got assigned.

I bought some semiconductor stocks today with the money. I hope it's a good trade, because semi stocks have been beaten down badly.

PS. Meanwhile, I sold puts to buy back CAT at 222.5 and 215.

Last edited:
In addition to having a large component of VTI and other low fee indexes for the long haul, I would use a small portion of growth funds to buy these 5 companies as they are likely the new Fang-type growth and disruption stocks for next decade or two. They have wide moats and do something that almost no one else has made inroads into and have great management:

Unity software (U)
Roblox (RBLX)
Palantir (PLTR)
ABNB
Spotify (SPOT)

Ytd 1/18/22

WELL.

YTD I am down 4.9% vis a vis stocks.

And I'm less than pleased with that and I'm hoping that staying in and not panic selling is the way to go. The sole "trading" stock I have - meaning I was getting in and out - but didn't mind having to hold is Matterport MTTR....that's a decent sized hit right now. Otherwise I"m mostly big cap tech, stuff like KO PEP CAT MCD. Largest loan holdings are F and GM - the latter I had written on this forum about 15-18 months ago that I ws buying in the 30s. They are both still up handsomely but nevertheless on weeks like this - I feel it more due to being overweight there.

If someone wants to tell me it'll be fine and things will roar back soon I'm here with willing ears.

In the meantime ....RussiaUkraine - Im wondering how far it does and effect on investments.

Any bets Buffet buys NFLX on sale tomorrow...he LOVES global brands

He has 140+ Billion in cash to deploy.....if I were him I'd sell some Apple, talk about a concentrated position....44% of his stock holdings in BRK.B is AAPL

They say Buffet is a value investor but in fact he's more of a "vulture investor" (eg, PG and KO day after 1987 crash, Goldman Sachs in 2009 crisis w a 10% divy back to him, etc)

and NFLX...down big

It's down 20+% in afterhours trading...

All those young FAANG employees planning to FAT FIRE on company stocks may have to rethink their FIRE plans...

:popcorn:

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of timing the market, but I'm not upset that a chunk of inheritance came to us when the market is down. Bet it all on VTSAX!

I have been buying VTI and SCHD in chunks on down days. I don't think that we are near the bottom yet, however.

Trying to be positive! This used to work well, but time was my friend, then :)

Today I couldn't stand it any longer so bought a couple hundred shares of PLTR.

Yesterday it was JOBY.

Not advertising stocks, just showing how I'm playing into innovation vs broader market. Play money!

I've been buying a few shares of TSLA, AMZN and GOOG.

Given my proven track record of only buying at tops, I guess this is bad news.

What was the reasoning behind PLTR, other than it is at a 52 week low?

Adding a small amount of SMH using my "play money" each time the market drops. Also holding small amount of BX and Aapl and both are down a little YTD.

AA hasn't moved enough to rebalance my 401k Total US Market (3-fun portfolio.

PLTR? It was a good put option stock until I was assigned a couple of hundred shares at $23. Have been writing call option on them ever since. Not sure why I own them.

Big Shorts are scaring the bejezzus out of the market with several rate hikes.

PLTR? It was a good put option stock until I was assigned a couple of hundred shares at $23. Have been writing call option on them ever since. Not sure why I own them.

Can you explain to me what Palantir does for a business:confused:?

PLTR makes software the government secret agencies use to spy on people. They have branched out into the private sector with software to mine data on customers and business metrics. Cathy Wood of Ark Invest says that their classified stuff is at least five years ahead of the competition.

I only invest first of month on payday if market is up i invest if it is down I invest.then with fidelity and Vanguard it can take a few days for cash to settle. when it settles I buy market up or down makes no difference to me.

Can you explain to me what Palantir does for a business:confused:?
Last I looked I felt they were too small of a company to have much impact. Also, there are competitiors. Just found this MF article. https://www.fool.com/investing/2022/01/22/is-palantir-stock-built-on-hype/

Palantir is a software data management company. Specifically, the company creates platforms for integrating, managing, and securing data for their clients. Using the platform, the client is able to quickly answer complicated queries using huge amounts of data. Palantir offers clients three main products; Gotham, Foundry, and Apollo.

As also mentioned in the article, they are popular with individual investors. I take that to mean "meme" stock. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Last edited:
I just bought around $300K worth mostly due to put options getting assigned on Friday 1/21, stocks such as Cisco, Caterpillar, Alcoa, Molina, Amphenol, Celanese, etc...

About $130K is for stocks that I just sold last Friday due to call options getting assigned on the previous Friday, 1/14.

It's still a net buy, so my stock AA will go up a bit.

I was doing a little research yesterday, for what it’s worth, down January years usually don’t put in a bottom until March or April and then on average produce a low single digit return for the year, if any positive return at all. Many have resulted in a bear market at some point as well.
So if this is an “average” down January year, more pain is coming.

Back
Top Bottom