Anyone Buying Into Today's Dip?

PLTR makes software the government secret agencies use to spy on people. They have branched out into the private sector with software to mine data on customers and business metrics. Cathy Wood of Ark Invest says that their classified stuff is at least five years ahead of the competition.

Thanks, but how does Cathy Wood know anything about their classified stuff?

Last I looked I felt they were too small of a company to have much impact. Also, there are competitiors. Just found this MF article. https://www.fool.com/investing/2022/01/22/is-palantir-stock-built-on-hype/

As also mentioned in the article, they are popular with individual investors. I take that to mean "meme" stock. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Thanks.

I was doing a little research yesterday, for what it’s worth, down January years usually don’t put in a bottom until March or April and then on average produce a low single digit return for the year, if any positive return at all. Many have resulted in a bear markets at some point as well.
So if this is an “average” down January year, more pain is coming.

More pain may come next Wednesday after J Powell's comments on the QE taper and inflation control (raising interest rates).

More pain may come next Wednesday after J Powell's comments on the QE taper and inflation control (raising interest rates).

LOL, yep.

There’s the guy who got out. The guy who knows the guy who got out and then decides to get out. The guy who thinks he should have gotten out, but it’s too late, stays the course, but then relents and gets out - at the bottom. Then it’s over. :LOL:

We all stay the course or buy more, right? :popcorn:

LOL, yep.

There’s the guy who got out. The guy who knows the guy who got out and then decides to get out. The guy who thinks he should have gotten out, but it’s too late, stays the course, but then relents and gets out - at the bottom. Then it’s over. :LOL:

We all stay the course or buy more, right? :popcorn:

Right! I have not sold anything except a municipal bond fund to lock in a 5 years gain before interest rates take it way a penny at a time. Actually I bought additional shares of SCHB yesterday.

Thanks, but how does Cathy Wood know anything about their classified stuff?

Thanks.

Larger investors get direct access to Mgmt teams and also go to conferences where they do presentations and discuss with them. She has probably not seen the info directly but thats probably what Mgmt (or perhaps some key folks in gov that mgmt leak the names to contact) told them would be my guess. She could also be making it up or more likely exaggerating.

Larger investors get direct access to Mgmt teams and also go to conferences where they do presentations and discuss with them. She has probably not seen the info directly but thats probably what Mgmt (or perhaps some key folks in gov that mgmt leak the names to contact) told them would be my guess. She could also be making it up or more likely exaggerating.

I'll go with your last sentence given her track record. :D

Well, it’s against the law for companies to divulge non-public information that would have a material impact on the share price. The provider of this info would be ion the hook regardless, and the recipient would be as well if acting in the non-public info.

I'll go with your last sentence given her track record. :D

From the ARKK performance page on the Ark Invest web site, annualized as of 12/31/2021.

Since inception - 25.86%

5 year performance - 38.41%

3 year performance - 37.81%

1 year performance - (23.36%)

Admittedly, ARKK has been down recently, but isn't the saying "time in the market, not time-ing the market"?

BTW - I watched an hour long interview with the CEO of Palantir last night. He seems like a strange guy. A self admitted 1970's vintage progressive. He seemed either brilliant or crazy. I had a hard time deciding from his dialog.

He did allude to a lot of the work that they are doing for the intelligence agencies and special forces. He said that there have been many terrorist attacks, sounded like mainly in Europe, that were stopped by agencies using Palantir software. These by nature are not public knowledge.

He described their product line as being ahead of what the customers realize that they need. He also seemed to say that the differentiation was that their software is able to survive huge disruptive events and operate in chaotic environments whereas normal software can't. Blowing smoke or patting on the back, who knows.

His view of the future was that things are currently being held together by band aids and things will get really "interesting" in the next five years. Palantir bought a huge lump of gold last year as a hedge against possible black swan events.

From the ARKK performance page on the Ark Invest web site, annualized as of 12/31/2021.

Since inception - 25.86%

5 year performance - 38.41%

3 year performance - 37.81%

1 year performance - (23.36%)

Admittedly, ARKK has been down recently, but isn't the saying "time in the market, not time-ing the market"?

BTW - I watched an hour long interview with the CEO of Palantir last night. He seems like a strange guy. A self admitted 1970's vintage progressive. He seemed either brilliant or crazy. I had a hard time deciding from his dialog.

He did allude to a lot of the work that they are doing for the intelligence agencies and special forces. He said that there have been many terrorist attacks, sounded like mainly in Europe, that were stopped by agencies using Palantir software. These by nature are not public knowledge.

He described their product line as being ahead of what the customers realize that they need. He also seemed to say that the differentiation was that their software is able to survive huge disruptive events and operate in chaotic environments whereas normal software can't. Blowing smoke or patting on the back, who knows.

His view of the future was that things are currently being held together by band aids and things will get really "interesting" in the next five years. Palantir bought a huge lump of gold last year as a hedge against possible black swan events.

Interesting comments on Planatir and maybe that all or some of it has merit to it, but the stock market only wants to see earnings and visibility on the business. If they are that secretive and are doing great things for the government and other governments, then maybe they should be part of the ruling class (gov)?

My plan

My plan for next 12 months is allocation to VTI and NTSX (50%) along with some allocation to PDI EOI JEPI for monthly income and PCQ for tax free income (20% of portfolio) and the other 20% for high beta growth as set forth below. (Keeping final 10% in VTIP for black swan or further corrections)

For high beta growth, I really think the following are on sale and could be VERY interesting:

NFLX
U
PLTR
ABNB
SPOT
RBLX

Last edited:
My plan for next 12 months is allocation to VTI and NTSX (50%) along with some allocation to PDI EOI JEPI for monthly income and PCQ for tax free income (20% of portfolio) and the other 20% for high beta growth as set forth below. (Keeping final 10% in VTIP for black swan or further corrections)

For high beta growth, I really think the following are on sale and could be VERY interesting:

NFLX
U
PLTR
ABNB
SPOT
RBLX

Don't like the expense ration on NTSX. Plus it has a lot of FANG in the holdings. You could get the same exposure with a smaller expense ration elsewhere. I like VTI and will probably send some dry powder over there. I think the market will drop another 10% at least from where it is now so I am tip toeing in. I also like intel P/E at 10 plus the 2.67 div.

Last edited:
Well, it’s against the law for companies to divulge non-public information that would have a material impact on the share price. The provider of this info would be ion the hook regardless, and the recipient would be as well if acting in the non-public info.

Most management and wall street, nor the SEC, would consider this material for mgmt to claim their product is well ahead of their competition's product. I've been the head of IR for publicly traded companies for a while now. There is a lot of grey area on what is material non-public. Plus, if they've ever said that in a 10K, S1, webcasted conference, 10Q, 8K or a national TV station, it would be covered anyway. You'd be surprised.

Besides, in this case, the investor could simply ask if there someone in government that you can give us the contact information on using your product that you think would be helpful? Then it would be government agent giving their personal opinion on their product. It's pretty easy to get around RegFD for most things with just publicly available information or third parties.

Last edited:
Expense ratio on NTSX is 20 basis points, seems a fair price to pay to beat SPY by 100 basis points and have slightly less drawdown/volatility - adds up over time me thinks?

I wait patiently to buy the following defensive stocks etf:
XLP, Consumer Staples Select Sector SPDR® Fund
VYM, Vanguard High Dividend Yield Index Fund ETF Shares
SCHD, Schwab U.S. Dividend Equity ETF™

Any thoughts?

I wait patiently to buy the following defensive stocks etf:
XLP, Consumer Staples Select Sector SPDR® Fund
VYM, Vanguard High Dividend Yield Index Fund ETF Shares
SCHD, Schwab U.S. Dividend Equity ETF™

Any thoughts?
For what do you wait? For example, do you have a price point for SCHD?

We use SCHD as one of our core funds in taxable. If you look at the holdings in SCHD, it may cover some of what you expect from XLP or VYM.

Since VTI is the dippiest right now, why not buy that and capture everything in those other three ETFs? Just a thought.

Attachments

• XLP_YahooFinanceChart.jpg
    XLP_YahooFinanceChart.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 70
Small buys today

MSFT: Added just a little to my position - paid approx $284.

GPS: (Gap) - New position - very small. 12-ish P/E - -stock is down - - I feel it's a good brand, but I feel the management is a bit too focused on modern politically correct tacts. I feel that they will smarten up - OR someone from the outside be it new CEO or activist comes in.

JWN: (Nordstrom) Added a little to my already small position. Paid around $20.40.

FB: Small add to my position. Paid $293-ish. I feel social media owns the human race, literally and soon they'll have the Sheeple plugged into eye glasses and helmet and gosh knows what else - and the advertisers will keep on loving it.

Just like when I bought in originally - I feel it's a good brand, some good locations, and the family running it won't just have it go away. Same thing - activist, or sold to somebody.

I had to do this while closing my eyes when the master page with my account balance comes up. If I see how low it is after all of this - I'm still not good at not panic- selling so I dont even want to know.

I bought a lot of VTI today, biggest transaction I have ever made.

I bought a tiny amount of QQQ, and VTI today, fully expected the market to continue down or flatten for a while.

Surprised some of my orders when though considering the jump up in the market, I'm showing a PROFIT already :D

Back
Top Bottom