Anyone Diving in Today??

If anyone invested on margin...stay by the phone..bad news on the way..:facepalm:

I haven't seen charts like this since...a long time.:(

I always wonder about these threads where folks say they are buying.
Unless somebody sends me some sort of money making machine, I don't have any more money to invest (fully invested).
Our IRAs hold shares of a dividend-paying international value exchange-traded fund (EFV) and a Dow dividend ETF (DVY). We take the distributions in cash, and it's been sitting around waiting for the flashing blue-light special. These 5-10% discount opportunities come up every year or two.

We've also been selling covered calls on some of our small-cap value ETF (IJS) and Berkshire Hathaway shares. Berkshire shares are trading at a 52-week low and I wouldn't mind buying calls for a change, but I'm not gutsy enough to predict when Berkshire shares are going to rise back above the strike + call value.

It's just a couple percent of the overall asset allocation.

Still within 5% in the AA bands, so nothing to do today. Next check will be September 1.

Wow, the Dow has dropped almost 300 points today by this time. Looks like a great opportunity for those who were planning to buy sometime anyway.

Maybe we really ARE on the way to the second half of a double dip market crash. Time will tell.

It could always go back up tomorrow, but meanwhile I have my crash helmet on and I am hanging on tight for the ride.

Wow, the Dow has dropped almost 300 points today by this time. Looks like a great opportunity for those who were planning to buy sometime anyway.

Maybe we really ARE on the way to the second half of a double dip market crash. Time will tell.

It could always go back up tomorrow, but meanwhile I have my crash helmet on and I am hanging on tight for the ride.

W2R, Seeing you post reminded me that I was on Bogleheads last week and there a thread started with the dreaded "whee" title...my immediate thought was UH OH!! I felt like one of Pavlov's dogs :D

Seeing you post W2R reminded me that I was on Bogleheads last week and there a thread started with the dreaded "whee" title...my immediate thought was UH OH!! I felt like one of Pavlov's dogs :D

It wasn't me! Guess it was a counterfeit Wheee!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Just the word now makes me want to duck and cover!! :facepalm:

Nah, if you don't plan on buying then just get that crash helmet and hang on tight for the ride. It could be up next week (or not).

My infamous Wheee!!! thread was in October of 2007. Some of our older members around here have LONG memories and while moaning and groaning (and selling low) when the market drops, they would rather eat worms than be happy when the market is up. :D

Last edited:
True. No plan to buy unless the AA gets out of whack.

Full indexer here. We no longer buy individual stocks...they just don't work for us.

I do pretty much the same, with a dash of Wellesley added for income.

Just remember, the Dow was 11578 last December 31st. At this moment, the Dow is 11618 which means it is up for the year, believe it or not! No need to panic, though it could be a good opportunity for those who planned to rebalance anyway.

Bought a little VTI in the wife's IRA today. We had funded it, but I had been lazy about actually buying something.

No near-term buying planned. I'm still building a fully liquid cash reserve, so I'll sit this one out for now.
However, when that HK tender offer shows up in my money market sweep account (up to 4 weeks worst case), I may put some of it back into existing stock mutual funds if the conditions are right.

Bought some MDT today at 33.50 and did rebalance on my main portfolio.

Planning to buy WFC, CLX, ITW when it reaches price target.

Nah, if you don't plan on buying then just get that crash helmet and hang on tight for the ride. It could be up next week (or not).

My infamous Wheee!!! thread was in October of 2007. Some of our older members around here have LONG memories and while moaning and groaning (and selling low) when the market drops, they would rather eat worms than be happy when the market is up. :D
She said Wheee!

DD

No I did not! :) You'll know a "Whee!!!" thread when you see it.

My allocation is still where I want it to be within a couple of points. I won't be rebalancing, most likely, unless we come down another 15% from here.

Feel much better now at 55/45 than I did in 2008 with about 72/28. I think I found my comfort zone.

My allocation is still where I want it to be within a couple of points. I won't be rebalancing, most likely, unless we come down another 15% from here.

Feel much better now at 55/45 than I did in 2008 with about 72/28. I think I found my comfort zone.

Nothing like a ~ 50% fall in equities to figure out one's real risk tolerance. Somehow those 10 question online quizzes failed to accurately calculate it :facepalm:. I was 80:20, now 75:25 and on a glide path to ~65:35 when I retire.

DD

Nothing like a ~ 50% fall in equities to figure out one's real risk tolerance. Somehow those 10 question online quizzes failed to accurately calculate it :facepalm:. I was 80:20, now 75:25 and on a glide path to ~65:35 when I retire.
Yeah, those questionnaires that ask "If the market fell 30% in a month, what would you do" and that sort of thing (to determine your optimal AA) are fine and good, but unless it's real money on the line it's only a guess -- and most folks probably overestimate their risk tolerance in the shadows of an Ursa Major.

Yeah, those questionnaires that ask "If the market fell 30% in a month, what would you do" and that sort of thing (to determine your optimal AA) are fine and good, but unless it's real money on the line it's only a guess -- and most folks probably overestimate their risk tolerance in the shadows of an Ursa Major.

This adjustment has me rethinking what we think our AA should be. Our plan says AA is 60/40 but it's drifted to 57/43...With this current drop I'm thinking 55/45 or even 50/50 is a much better AA for us since we're planning to retire in 5 years (at 55).

So, as you say, I may have overestimated our risk tolerance. Less than a year into this DIY investing and I'm still learning a lot.

This adjustment has me rethinking what we think our AA should be. Our plan says AA is 60/40 but it's drifted to 57/43...With this current drop I'm thinking 55/45 or even 50/50 is a much better AA for us since we're planning to retire in 5 years (at 55).
The 'nice' thing about a correction like this is you may not have to do anything to arrive at your new allocation...:)

Back
Top Bottom