Are you doing any year-end Stock buying?

rsingh6675

Recycles dryer sheets
Anyone has good ideas on buying year end oversold stocks, mutual funds, ETFs or CEF's. Your suggestions will be appreciated.

I'm selling some muni funds I bought back late 08. Sitting on sizable CG, but the dividend payout has been falling all year.

I picked a couple of MLPs towards end of November, some of those still look interesting.

I think it is too dicey to buy anything until there is more clarity in what is going on in Washington, DC. However, if there is a big drop in the market in the next few weeks, that will be a buying opportunity.

Patience is a virtue at this time.

Just my 2 cents on buying.

As for selling, since the markets are up almost 20% in 2012, folks should be rebalancing from equities to fixed income if needed.

Starting a couple of weeks ago, I sold enough to take advantage of 0% tax. Then, already bought back about 1/2 of that, but in different sectors and countries. Not sure what to do next with the remaining 1/2, so will wait a little while.

Starting a couple of weeks ago, I sold enough to take advantage of 0% tax. Then, already bought back about 1/2 of that, but in different sectors and countries. Not sure what to do next with the remaining 1/2, so will wait a little while.
I thought you were still working. How did you manage 0% cg?

Ha

I purchased more TIPS.I know their pricey,but safety is my main concern at this juncture.

I'm thinking about investing in the coal sector, maybe Arch Coal Inc. This sector has been beaten down so badly that it seems like the future has to be better. I can't imagine our country not using coal to generate electricity.

Have you considered the beaten down badly natural gas sector? Could have more upside since it is a relatively clean energy source compared to coal.

I thought you were still working. How did you manage 0% cg?

Ha

No, I stopped working earlier this year, and did not make that much this year.

I did not even know about the 0%CG tax for the lower bracket until I read it here on this forum. For the first time in my life, I look to sell the positions with the highest gain, instead of tax loss selling like in the past. Wow, it was just too good to be true.

PS. Obviously, you missed my frequent lamenting about living with 3.5%WR. It cramps my style!

Last edited:
Have you considered the beaten down badly natural gas sector? Could have more upside since it is a relatively clean energy source compared to coal.

I have made some investments in Chesapeake Energy, Encana Corp, Halliburton and Lone Pine Resources in 2011/2012 to invest in the natural gas sector. These investments have not done well so far but I'm not giving up hope.

Thanks.

I have made some investments in Chesapeake Energy, Encana Corp, Halliburton and Lone Pine Resources in 2011/2012 to invest in the natural gas sector. These investments have not done well so far but I'm not giving up hope.

I think it may be a couple of years - maybe longer - before nat gas prices recover completely. Not an investment for a quick profit, but I think the future looks good.

I'm looking at buying some YUM. Chinese looking at their chicken got the price beat down some. Gotta get beaten down a little bit more though.

I think it is too dicey to buy anything until there is more clarity in what is going on in Washington, DC. However, if there is a big drop in the market in the next few weeks, that will be a buying opportunity.

Patience is a virtue at this time.

Just my 2 cents on buying.

As for selling, since the markets are up almost 20% in 2012, folks should be rebalancing from equities to fixed income if needed.
+1

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom